Treherbert on the Web's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message about local news, views or issues. Or why not just chat.

Treherbert on the Web's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memories of Treherbert Baths

On the Roy noble programme the other morning the topic of Lidos came up We didn;t have a Lido with a swimmingpool in Treherbert (The lido was the dance hall) What we did have was Treherbert Baths which to us younsters then was heaven. We used to spend so much time there regardless of the weather.The concrete surround of the baths was always where we sunbathed ,and met ou friends. I remember the large cubicle in the girls changing room was where we learned to dance. The manager of the pool at that time was Mr. Thomas who in later years was joined by his wife. He was such a kind man . Sometimes when the weather wasn,t very good he would even put on the hot showers.
We learnt to swim really with no formal lessons just by watching . We went down a slide and off a springboard. Learnt to dive off the bank then when we got to top board we felt we had really arrived.
On sunny days the pool would be filled to capacity and they had to have sessions. These were hated by all.
I often think of the happy days we had there and thank tht we were able to swim. Now in my 70 What memories has anyone else got

Your Location: Treherbert

Web-Rating (out of 5): 3

Re: Memories of Treherbert Baths

I used to go to Ystrad baths in the early seventies when I lived in Penrhys. One day a gang of us went swimming, the weather was warm, with a few clouds in the sky, and it started raining. Except for two of us, everyone else in the pool junped out, got dressed and went home. I can`t understand why, you are wet anyway!

Your Location: corner of the room by my pc..

I remember the baths circa 1958 to 1961 when my mate, the Late Brian Rees worked there. Most of my memories involve the feeling of being freezing cold all the time. As you say, we learnt to swim free of charge really and had loads of fun. I am in my mid 60's so no doubt we at some stage, possibly, would have been freezing together!

Your Location: Sutton Coldfield

Web-Rating (out of 5): 4

I can remember Treherbert Baths when our kids were small we did our house work in the morning's prepared the tea then us Mum's went down to the pool for a bit of a swim and a gossip, we even joined Lorna's swimming club, went toTeds for food and all the kids joined us after school.thw weather was brill and the fun was great.

Your Location: Treherbert

Web-Rating (out of 5): 5

I used to almost live down the baths with my friends Cheryl, Sian and Gail, we used to be there all day. I learnt to swim after my sister Angela refused to blow up my rubber ring for the 100th time and someone threw me in the water at the deep end...... I soon learnt then i can tell you hahaha! They were gret days. Also great memories of going down the baths with Mr Evans and Mr Owen from Dunraven School

Your Location: Norwich

I remember going to the baths in March all pink and warm and going home again all blue and cold. The changing cubicles were prepetually greasy and freezing. If you want to know why we're a hardy breed look no further than Treherbert Baths.

I not only used the baths but now and then worked in the basket room were you put youer clothes in a basket and handed it to us and was given a band with a number on to get the right basket back.I think thay are only trying to shut it because thay overspent money on ystrad sports center and thay only want one central pool.

Your Location: cwmparc

Being born in Fernhill Houses, my memory of the baths was a bus ride from fernhill to treherbert (Bute), down the baths for a hour in the summer (water freezing) and then with eyes full of chlorine up to Calm,s Cafe for a steamed pastie SUPERB!!!!

Your Location: local

**** right! Cam's was an essential part of the Treherbert pool experience as was crisp packets in the water and finding someone's locket in the corner of the deep end.

Oh my, the photo of Treherbert Baths, how I remember the lovely times me and my cousin Sandra had there. We used to come home to Victoria Street wrinkled and soggy, but sooo happy.

I learnt how to swim there and never looked back.

Memories, memories and such happy ones

Your Location: Worth Matravers

Web-Rating (out of 5): 5