Treherbert on the Web's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message about local news, views or issues. Or why not just chat.

Treherbert on the Web's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Roadworks

Just wondered what anyone thinks of all these roads of ours being dug up? Time after time they seem to be digging up the same hole all the time. The one by the bus stop at the bottom end of Gwendoline Street (Evans the Taylor) in particular, it must have been dug up at least ten times since they started. Surely with UNDERGROUND workings and OVERGROUND workings something has to give. Please feel free to air your views on this subject.

Your Location: Local

Re: Roadworks

does it really matter how many times they dig the roads up or where they dig the holes look how many of them dirty scrouging ruffians they are keeping off the dole, preventing them from stealing some peoples hard earned stoppages,would be a good idea when they backfill them holes to throw a few dole cheat lazy scumbags in the holes first that would meet with some people on here,s total agreement could be worse though could be the gas mains next time oh and while the holes are still open we could get rid of the old and infirm to that would save a few bob out of your tax and insurance wouldnt it why waste a good empty hole paid for out of your taxes use them up i say

Your Location: Treherbert

Web-Rating (out of 5): 5

For god,s sake Bob i only wanted an opinion about the road works, chill-out man!!! Look at the news, unemployment is up to 1.7 million and rising, lots of people are losing work through "NO" fault of their own, i backed what you said the other day about the sick and lazy but not everyone is sick and lazy and i feel sorry for lots of good honest workers being laid-off (before xmas aswell) not nice at all.
So come on Bob cut some slack and think of the genuine ones who are sick and unemployed.

Brian

Your Location: Local

you are so right....dai...i really respect your views...and..comments..about **** on the tinternet...you really make me smile...thanking yousss...taaaraaa

i love you brian

Your Location: up your guters ***** bang bang

Who do you complain to about the road works?? They are digging in Ynyswen for the third time and they have only gone and blocked the 2 bus stops in Ynyswen - the buses are not allowed to stop in between the lights!! How is an old age person supposed to walk to Treorchy or up as far as the baglan??? I was waiting for over half hour for a bus tonight and the bus went straight pass me!!

Does anyone know why they keep digging the roads back up?

hello anon, i heard in work that the contractors doing this job are a bunch of cowboys, and i totally agree with what they said, perhaps we should all e-mail Chris Bryant our mp and ask for an explanation!!! I will and let you know the outcome ok, Brian

Hello Anon just to let you know, i sent an e-mail to Chris Bryant 3 days ago and i asked him to take a look at our forum hopefully he can join and then give us the info that we need.
Brian

Well there I was digging me 'ole, shovelin' earth for all that I was worth and there was 'im, standin' up there so grand and officious with his nose in the air.

So I gives 'im a look sort of sideways and I leans on my shovel and sighs. I lits me a ******* 'avin a good drag I replies.

I just couldn't bear to dig it elsewhere. I'm diggin' it round cos I don't want it square. Now if you disagree it doesn't bovver me. That's the place where the ;oles gonna be.

I know about the disruption and frustration that is being caused by the temporary traffic lights and road works in Tynewydd/Treherbert/Ynyswen. The latest information I have from Welsh Water is as follows:

"The works are to renew the main water supply and it has and will be necessary to open and close excavations. The first excavation (i.e. on Gwendoline Street) was made so that we could locate the position of the main and calibrate it in readiness for the instalation of a cross connection. By doing this, we did not need to shut off the water supply to the area. Subsequent excavations were made to renew the 9 and 10 inch main. The refurbishment on Gwendoline Street is now complete. With regards to the disruption to the local bus service, it was agreed with Stagecoach and the Council to shut bus stops at the beginning of the traffic lights, thus reducing the risk of traffic congestion. We are aiming to complete the mains renewal programme with as little disruption as possible. We anticipate that works will continue in the area until 2009."

I will make further enquiries to find out how long into 2009 the works are expected to continue - and try to clarify the speculation that is rife - that once they have finished on one side of the valley they will be working back up the other side!

Further information from Welsh Water, as promised:

1. The predicted date is March 09.

2. There is no requirement to go back up the other side of the street, as the mains generally run down one side of the street. However when we find cast iron mains on the opposite side we are replacing/renewing albeit these are few.

Thanks for that Mr.Bryant very useful info. Hope it,s helped you Anon!!
Brian.

Hi all, nice discussion- i've started a facebook group concerning these roadworks- it can be found here-

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=103298505715

I've also contacted various members of the media, Chris Bryant Mp and some of the chief executives of Welsh Water- I've had this reply from welsh water which seems very much a fob off and it had more bad news- PROPOSED DATE OF COMPLETION JUNE 2009!
SEE BELOW-
"Dear Mr Davies;

Thank you for your e mail of 10th December to Lord Burns in relation to the above. He has forwarded to me as the executive director responsible for operations to ensure you have a full reply to your complaint.

First of all , I am very sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced as a result of our improvement work. I have looked into this matter in detail and I hope the information set out below answers your concerns;

· Project details – we are refurbishing 3 water mains in the road , unfortunately this work will be on going until June next year. The work is being carried out to deliver improved water quality for our customers in the area . This work is essential to ensure we meet regulatory standards for drinking water in this area and forms part of our overall £200m investment in water mains across Wales. I would point out that we plan the work under agreement with the local authority in terms of work programming to national standards for this class of road. In addition they also for example ensure that traffic light interval timings meet their standards as well.

· Waste of Water – We have been using techniques to ‘re-line’ the mains and these require the existing water in the main to be drawn down via fire hydrants . In addition, these techniques also require (as all methods do) clean water to be flushed through the mains to sterilise them with high concentrations of Chlorine initially and this is what you will see being discharged on site. We then draw clean water through and some of this also has to be flushed out of the system to ensure we only put into supply water of the right quality. I can fully understand that this to passers by this may look wasteful , but water quality is our highest priority and we have to undertake this process. For information, we are refurbishing over 400km of mains in Wales this year and the water flushed through them during refurbishment amounts to less that 1.0% of the total water we supply each day. We always attempt to minimise the amount of water we use in this way, but seeing even a small main being drained or flushed will always appear to be a significant amount when these operations are undertaken.

· Productivity of the Workforce – I have looked into the unit costs of the scheme in question and am satisfied that we are getting value for money. The refurbishment techniques referred to involve periods when materials are ‘curing’ or pipe line material is being ‘drawn’ through the existing mains. This type of refurbishment work will mean that during times of application you may see the work teams waiting for the next step in the process. I am very sorry if this appears to you as ‘down time’ – I would assure you that we measure and benchmark this work regularly and are satisfied this work is being carried out appropriately. I would also mention that the work teams have received a number of letters of thanks from local residents commenting positively on the way the work has been completed.

I would finally offer the opportunity for one of our managers to meet you and provide further information on the work, I would also extend an invitation to you to be taken through the work on site to show you at first hand what the project involves. We are expending every effort to carry out this work as quickly as we can , but with the 3 mains in the road this is a significant investment.

If I can assist you any further please do not hesitate to contact me on 01443 452380 or by e mail.

Yours sincerely

Peter Perry

Operations Director."

More bad news from the powers to be, thanks for Mr.Davies (don't know your first name)i,ve gone on the facebook web site and i,ll join the forum in the future, i hope Chris Bryant and his gang are up to speed, because we,ve gone from march to june already

Ignore the 1st. reply (Pressed wrong button).More bad news from the powers to be, I hope Chris Bryant and his gang are up to speed, because we,ve gone from March09 to June09 in the space of 4weeks!!!! Thanks for that Mr.Davies (first name would be nice).I wonder what the water rates will be for 2010?????? Cant wait for them.
Can anyone from the emergency services please give us their opinion on this subject, tell us what their problems are, as i,m sure there are many.
I,m sure if the "lord mayor" wanted to get from Treherbert to Pentre in a hurry there would,nt be a problem.
If the Welsh Water are spending a budget of £200 million on Wales then £100 million must have gone already, just on the Treherbert/Treorchy area!!!
I,ll join the "Facebook" forum in the future, perhaps our A M Mr L Andrews would like to join this forum and anyone else above or below him.
Brian.

Well hear we are into July09, and having been told by Chris Bryant (our mp) that the road works will last till March09!! WELL, "Am i that stupid to have believed him!!" cos i don't know if you,ve noticed but we are nowhere near finishing now than when we was in March!!!!!
Come on Mr Bryant give us the truth, i know that's hard for an mp these days, it,s the least you can do.

Brian, unhappy constituent.