Treherbert on the Web's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message about local news, views or issues. Or why not just chat.

Treherbert on the Web's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Peglers

I was wondering if the Peglers photograph on the front page was in Treherbert. I remember Lanes and a couple of other shops from years past. Can you think of any shops that usedto be in Abertonllwyd, Baglan or Bute Streets. I was born in Windsor street just off the sidings but was moved away to Portsmouth when I was 9.

I remember two cafe's in Treherbert. Strinattis was one with Cam and another one by the side of a bakery or cake shop. Whatever happened to The Stewart Hotel?

Re: Peglers

Hello Davy.
There was Jimmy Arnolds shop on Bute street,the"BOB"grocer,my mother worked there for years.I particularly remember the large glass lid tin boxes in front of the counter,inside you could see chocolate biscuits,digestives along with all other kinds..also there was slabs of butter and cheese.What a memorable shop,and not a plastic bag in sight.I can remember when the stuart hotel was knocked down,

Your Location: treherbert

herbert was full of shops in Bute Street a bit before your time I expect. the two Coops were ther well into the 70,s Valley Embroideries, Jones the Cafe,Hyatt Jenkins the Chemist to name a few.near the top end.
the Stuart Hotel went many years ago and s now a car park,The Dunraven Hotel opposite is stil there.
Cams and Vics the Bracchi shops are no more. I think Cams is to become a takeaway

my favourite shop was "Normans the toy shop".

Your Location: treherbert

There was an iron mongers opposite the New Inn and a post office opposite the Baglan field and many more which have been turned into houses

Your Location: Treherbert