Treherbert on the Web's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message about local news, views or issues. Or why not just chat.

Treherbert on the Web's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bute Hotel and no 51 Bute Street

Hi there,
Can anyone tell me what street and what number house does the monkey puzzle tree stand outside please?
It is shown in this photo on page of photos of this website. It is entitled:
The Castle public house in Bute Street Treherbert.

I am also looking for a photo of the Bute Hotel please. Can someone tell me where this was and if it is still standing under another name? My gt uncle John Jones, who lived No 51 Bute Street, Treherbert was a billiard marker at this hotel on the 1901 census. He was a vet and farrier at a local colliery, but I don't know which one. By 1911 he had returned to Trealaw, where he was born, but must have gone back to Treherbert as that is where I was taken to see him.

Many thanks for any light you can shed on my queries.
Jill,once a Trealaw girl

Your Location: Oxfordshire

Re: Bute Hotel and no 51 Bute Street

The monkey puzzle tree stands outside the Bute Hotel .
there is a picture on the website of The Castle Hotel if you follow the road there on the next corner is the monkey puzzle tree.Outside the then Bute hotel(Bute Street) The mountain in the distance is Penpych
No 51 would have been down the road nearer to the now demolished Libanus Chapel.
The Bute hotel,s name was changed to the Marquis of Bute many years ago and since then was changed to the Village Tavern but during all this time the Monkey Puzzle is still standing proud It is the main square of Treherbert in my younger days such a busy place
I see from the census the John Jones lived at the pub