Treherbert on the Web's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message about local news, views or issues. Or why not just chat.

Treherbert on the Web's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with family tree - The Old Ryal Exchange, Treherbert.

Hello all.

Further to my earlier post (January 2011), regarding my ancestrs in Treherbert, I have recently found that the first wife (Ellen Jones) of my great grandfather (John Ellis Jones) died as a result of a broken neck, folowing a fall down stairs in the Old Royal Exchange Treherbert, on Christmas eve, 1909.

Would anyone have any information about this family, and/or the Old Royal Exchange in Treherbert? Does the place still exist?

I would be very greatful for any information.

Arwel.

Your Location: Llandecwyn, Talsarnau

Re: Help with family tree - The Old Ryal Exchange, Treherbert.

This is an image of The Royal Exchange. http://archive.rhondda-cynon-taf.gov.uk/treorchy/index.php?a=wordsearch&s=item&key=WczoxNDoicm95YWwgZXhjaGFuZ2UiOw==&pg=3
The man outside with the harp was blind, he won the National Eisteddfod playing with his harp.

The building was actually in Penyrenglyn (Baglan Street/Eleanor St, CF42 5AD) which is a village next to Treherbert but comes under Treherbert in relation to politics and post services.

There was a building at the back of this building that was used for boxing.

The building was transferred to Mr Dutfield who turned it into a shop, he also owned a shop lower down the road on the corner of the Baglan Field.

Mr Dutfield adopted a child, Jimmy. He later became the owner of the shop, Jimmy Oliver. He worked the shop as a successful business. Opening at 5:30am until 7pm Monday to Saturday (early closing Saturday). When Jimmy died in the 1990s the shop was transfered to his son Brian. Brian Oliver and his wife Sandra (live in Ton Pentre), they ran the shop, again very successfully, until the late 1990s. Brian sold the building to a local couple but the business started to suffer and in the 2000s they sold the building. It was empty for many years and was turned into a residential house around 2004/5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE9g03n2z3A
You'll find the building around 0:45 seconds. I have another video of the inside of the shop and will put it onto youtube this weekend.

http://www.treherbert.info/News%20Archive/LocalNews-Archive-November04.htm#olivers
Here are some other images of mine of the building in 2004 when it was up for sale.

Hope this helps.

Re: Help with family tree - The Old Ryal Exchange, Treherbert.

Many, many thanks Sean and appologies for leaving it so long before replying.

I've not been doing much work on the family tree recently but starting to get back into it again now!

The history and the pictures of the old building are fascinating. I would love to find out if my Great Grandmother had anything to do with the sudden death of her husbands first wife. My Great Grandmother was their housekeeper and lived with them (by all accounts)at the Old Royal Exchange. Some further research necessary I think!

Thanks again for your time.

Arwel

Your Location: Llandecwyn, Gwynedd