Treherbert on the Web's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message about local news, views or issues. Or why not just chat.

Treherbert on the Web's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John WILLIAMS/Mary JONES/William John WILLIAMS

Hello there everyone......
I am researching my welsh great-grandparents and am looking for information relating to Mary JONES dob 15.01.1861 at Brynamman, parents Daniel JONES & Mary/Margaret MORGAN.
In the 1881 census she was aged 20 years and at 15 Princes Street, Ystradyfodwg, with her father and possibly half siblings, plus husband John WILLIAMS, 23 years and son William J (John) WILLIAMS, aged 2 months. There is a (deliberate) dash in the column where married or unmarried was usually written, so I am doubtful that she was actually married and have not found one that I could identify.

Mary, William John, her father and other (half?)siblings, sailed on the "Almora" from London on 11.01.1887 to Queensland, Australia, arriving on 08.03.1877. They were a mining family. Mary married in Australia in 1888, stating she was a spinster and giving Margaret MORGAN as her mother. Her death certificate lists her mother as Mary MORGAN, the information being supplied by her youngest son.

William John subsequently served in WWI for Australia, in the Tunnelling Corp (the miners were drafted to this), and it is from his Enlistment Form that I have found his birth was at Treherbert in January, 1881.

Where am I able to apply for his Birth Certificate, and is there a family history society anywhere nearby that may have some information? I am not sure that Mary and John were actually married and can find no evidence of such a marriage.

Any information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated by me.

The country around Treherbert looks delightfully picturesque, a very different scene to when the coal mines were operating, I expect.

Cheers to all from The Land Downunder & thanks in advance.............Brenda.

Your Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: John WILLIAMS/Mary JONES/William John WILLIAMS

Hello there,
Birth, death and marriage certificates are available from Pontypridd registry office.They will cover the Ystradyfodwg( Rhondda) area.
The address is Municipal Buildings, Gelliwasted Road, Pontypridd, Mid Glamorgan.
The Glamorgan Family history society can also help check out thier website.
A Forum online, Roots chat message board covers world wide information, including Glamorgan. Post a message their and someone will help you.
Happy searching
Lynfa

Your Location: Church Village

Web-Rating (out of 5): 3

Re: John WILLIAMS/Mary JONES/William John WILLIAMS

Lots of Treherbert history in these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sean-James-Cameron/e/B001KHDXD8/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1