Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brough Superiors - barn find

Includes one of the factory 750s with Austin Seven engine:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3359441/Collection-rare-Brough-Superior-motorcycles-discovered-barn-gathering-dust-50-years.html

Re: Brough Superiors - barn find

Wow. See latest 750MC Bulletin 'Rumblings'.

What a sad collection- the Austin 7 engined model looks among the least damaged but by the general appearance- lots of work on any or all.

Tony.

Very nice.

Does anyone know what the head is on the austin engine.

Thanks tony

What a sad sight ! It's hard to tell whether these were in a bad way even when Mr Vague acquired them, or if it's simply the result of 50 years of damp storage.

Any viewers of "Shed and Buried" (ITV4, Sunday Mornings) will be aware that the UK appears to be well served by mild eccentrics with hoards of slowly rotting cars and bikes which they are remarkably reluctant to part with. Maybe they think they are appreciating, maybe they think they will restore them one day, maybe it's just the satisfaction of knowing you have something that someone else would love to have....

I guess the Austin engined one was intended for use with a sidecar because it would be a bugger to ride solo with those twin rear wheels! OK in a straight line but on a bend? Nightmare.

Whilst these bikes are in a sad state, the cost of restoring them will be far less than their eventual value and probably well worth the effort. Nothing is impossible, just the depth of your pocket.

If the alchemist rules, no doubt some fool easily parted from his money will pay a fortune if the auction at Retromobile is any guide.
Rust into gold?

There is a film I saw many years ago showing the twin rear wheel Brough with a gymnast balancing upside down with his hands on the seat or handlebars.
Dave.

Location: Sheffield, City of Steel (Sorry, now City of Call Centres)

you'll be surprised, vintage motorcycle tack, no matter how poor it is, is worth big money.

I had a 1929 Calthorpe in atrocious condition out of a scrap pile, no rear wheel, no gearbox, the ali crankcase had rotted through. No tank etc etc. Selling it paid for a 1/3 of my tupperware Austin.

The average vintage motorcycle restorer usually seems to have a bit about him, and is usually capable of making all the parts that are missing.

Those Broughs are actually in excellent condition.

Hi Dave,

I have seen that film (or one like it). I was told that it was George Brough riding it, to prove that it didn't have to have a sidecar.

I may be wrong of course.

I met Albert Wallace's son at a Milton Keynes show. He said that his A7 engine Brough was still in his ownership.

All the best,
Colin

Quite a find!
In reply to Tony's query regarding the cylinder head, it is obviously aluminium and has cast in fins.
Looking on the Speedex site, the only head that looks similar is the Cambridge which was produced in the late 1950's. The three sections of cooling fin between the head studs look to be the same.
If so, it must have been fitted in replacement of the original.
I would be keen to see the engine sump to see if it has any cast in cooling pipes. I have an aluminium sump which I believe was marketed by Seagreen of Newcastle (?) and it has been suggested that it might be off a Brough motorcycle.

There's a 1937 Seagreen catalogue featured on the Old Classic Car site. It apparently carries no clues as to who owned the Seagreen brand other than a gummed label for a company called Chillcotts Ltd, 1 to 4 Trinity Place, London SE1. The suggestion is that the catalogue was aimed more at the trade buyer than the individual motorist.

On the catalogue cover handwritten in pencil is the address " Peerless Service Truck Factors, 22 Sandyford Road, Newcastle upon Tyne. The next time I'm in the Central Library I'll pursue this company further in the 1930's and 40's, however in 1923 no companies by the names Peerless Service Truck Factors nor Seagreen existed in Newcastle. Similarly in 1923, 22 Sandyford Road was occupied by Johnson & Co. Tailors. I'm pretty certain number 22 Sandyford Road has long been lost under the 1960's redevelopment of Newcastle City Centre !

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/1930s-parts.htm

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Typical of Bonhams, hyping up the bikes and giving low estimates. That's how they make their living. We all know they will fetch more. Also all these bikes have been known for years and are on the Brough Club Machine Register. The registration,frame & engine numbers are all listed. One of the other remaining Austin Broughs was owned for many years by Frank Solano. He rode it solo, some how !
One of the lost two was last known to be in a scrap yard on Anglesey, so any Austin Seven people there better get hunting, although I feel it's too late. There are a few replicas being built at the moment. I know one chap who has a genuine one, along with a pile of other Broughs. He must be about seventy years old. He told me he is still working as he can't afford to retire. He only needs to sell one or two bikes and his pension would be sorted.

Tony
Very nice.

Does anyone know what the head is on the austin engine.

Thanks tony

I spotted this one last year at Richard Edmonds Kirkby Wiske auction, I am fairly confident it is the type used on BS: http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/richard-edmonds-auctions/catalogue-id-ibri10008/lot-5e5e1a06-da05-4037-95c8-a3f7008e5e90

Looking again at the cylinder head on the BS, I think it has cast in cooling fins about 2cm high and there appears to be a double row of these down the centre line of the head. I still think its a Cambridge head! What the hell, it's knackered!
Thank you for the gen on the Seagreen catalogue. I bought the head about 30 years ago at Wollaton autojumble. I was told categorically by the stall holder that it was off a marine engine, and of no use other than a curiosity, hence the price.
I put an appeal out through the PWA7C and I think it was Stuart Ulph who suggested it was a Seagreen part.
Tomorrow I will fish it out of the garage and take a few photographs as I doubt many Forumists will have seen one.

Surely it's an original Brough Superior branded Alta head. I can just make out the oval trade mark.

It's been discussed here before....
http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=962274&cmd=show

I was just reading through that very same thread Henry!

I am thinking at least two types of head are shown in the photos posted:

Finned head -

and this head, appears to have no fins (??) -

Thanks for that, Ruairidh, I should have looked at the earlier thread. The only Alta heads I have come across have been the unfinned type.
Looks as if the sump is a standard tin fitting as well.

R,

Interesting- I understood from various articles that the plain Alta head with angled plugs (as in the second photograph) was designed for the Austin engined Brough Superior.

That engine in the second photograph looks better (nice oil leak) - the top one is a little over-restored.

Tony.

I agree with Tony about the head. The article "Silvertops" in the A7Ca mag; I think mentions both types. Will dig it out and have a look.
The film sequence mentioned is include in "The Mighty Atom" all about uses for the A7 engine from the A M Co. Plenty of idears for special projects. How about a Hydro glider ! Ideal on flatish Scottish rivers

hi all,

i asked about the head, as its hard to see in the pictures if the plugs were at 45 degrees.

its probably that there are no plugs in it.

and as henry says its a fined alta head.

my knowledge didnt stretch as far as realising they made alta heads with fins.

i have the patterns from quarry engineering to make alta heads without fins.

there is interest in them from the brough world, that is when i can get the casting company to pull there fingers out.

tony.

I find the Brough Superior with the A7 engine fascinating, I had spotted one in the National Motorcycle Museum. Very well engineerd but thought the cost at £188 compared to an A7 car quite high. This one appears to have a standard head but some unusual casting marks at the side of the crank case.

photo image_zpseqifdmpx.jpeg

photo image_zpspacp5kjn.jpeg

photo image_zpsnbwpyo1q.jpeg

photo image_zpsibxeu0aa.jpeg

photo image_zpsfjdoanj0.jpeg

photo image_zpso3quc1xo.jpeg

photo image_zpsn2bxzabs.jpeg

photo image_zpsmljrtbhy.jpeg

When I worked for the late Sir Len Southward here in Wellington NZ he purchased one of these in restored condition in the late 1970s. I can remember helping to uncrate it at Southward Engineering and got the opportunity to ride it around the carpark. they are definitely noy designed to be ridden without a sidecar.! A real hand ful to ride with the gearchange under the seat, but very flexible it could take off in second gear easily and potter around in top. It is still in the Southward Trust Museum in Paraparumuon the Kapiti coast. I will send a photo when I can find one. Cheers Steve Hainsworth

Good evening all. Further to this thread the Austin 7 engined Brough Superior BS4 motor cycle is featured in May's edition of 'The Automobile'.
Regards
Stuart

This motorcycle appears at 2:02 of the period Austin video on the "Mighty Atom": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPk0SZYfCLo

This is old news, the date at the top of the article is 14 December 2015.
Brian