Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A7 1933 Pick-up?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1933-Austin-Seven-Pick-up/182460240674?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41396%26meid%3D76e99dddb9d34667813e8b570ee05241%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D322430778481

Am I missing something or is this not quite what it purports to be??? Is that a 1933 chassis?

Re: A7 1933 Pick-up?

The pictures are of a 10

Austin Ten ???

The Log book as much as is being shown looks to be correct,and could fetch a few hundred pounds, but the car components would appear to be of Austin 10 origin, looks like someone who cant tell the difference is going to get swindled out of their hard earned pennies. I suppose if you pointed that out to the seller you would only get abuse back.

Mycarcheck for the number plate CG 4205 as shown in the pictures does say 1933 Austin 7 pickup

That looks to me like a typical DVLA C**K up! Does the G prefix on the chassis and engine numbers signify an Austin Ten? I think the whole collection is probably Ten with an incorrect engine capacity quoted on the V5.

Yes G prefix is Austin 10

Auction has been stopped.

Cant say if he sold it for cash or not, but I contacted him last night and explained what he was selling was not an Austin Seven parts as advertised,and advised him to look it up online to confirm what I was saying. Could be he did not know what he had, the people asking him questions about it certainly didn't seem to know what the were buying!

I for one told him several days ago what it was, but he didn't change the listing.

It's back on Fleabay again, this time as a 1933 Ruby pick up no less! Now that must be unique, and even less valuable.
The wheeler dealers are really out in force this week, one advertising the blatant robbing of original registration and now this oversized ruby(?) truck.
What will be the next offering I hate to think.

Peter, you're correct about a Ruby Pickup being unique, But I'd suggest that one would be extremely valuable & pricey. Quite a few were manufactured and sold here in Oz during the 30s. A friend in our Club (sadly now deceased) had one in his earlier days, not sure what became of it. If I remember, I'll try to get a couple of photos of his posted here next week, although I did include it in an article on pick-ups (we call them Utes, short for utility) in the Assoc. Mag. some years ago. Cheers, Bill.

Bill Sheehan writes:

Hi R. could you please insert the photos below under the A7, 1933 Pick-up? posting in the Forum?

(a) Two shots of Peter Booth's 1937 Coupe Ute
(b) Five soft-top Ruby-based Utes
(c) RACV Ute which they called a van. The restoration of this one was strongly assisted by our
club.
None of these would be 1933 of course. Cheers, Bill

photo Bill 4_zpscieutpxy.jpg

photo Bill 2_zpsyzztqlys.jpg

photo Bill 3_zpsnjeycbuw.jpg

photo Bill1_zpsfzkysjmo.jpg

I was sent an email copy of the Austin Ex-Apprentices March magazine by a friend in Australia(!) as it had a photo of an A7 Pickup! This is owned by a Chris Johns and the (rather fuzzy) photo showed a 1931(?)pick up sign written "Advantec" as far as I could see with a Reg no WD ????
No indication if an original body...it looked a bit like a modified saloon, but?. www.admin@austinexapprentices.uk may shed light, or there may be some Austin ex apprentices on this site ?
David

Thanks R. I meant to apologise for the poor photo of the RACV unit. Didn't have a separate shot to send quickly, so photo-copied a colour photo in it's frame through the glass ! Not exactly a success. Cheers, Bill

Ivan writes:

Hello Ruairidh,
I have a poster from the A7 Anniversary Rally in Melbourne. It shows the Ruby-style coupe shown in your post of Bill Sheehan's photos. I photographed it as it is too big to scan. Perhaps you would be kind enough to post it for me. I think the coupe must be the same car as that shown in the last of Bill's photos. The poster was given to me back about 1978 by Ken Anderson when I visited him in Melbourne, and I liked it well enough to frame it.
Thanks,
Ivan

photo A7aussie_coupe_zpswtg6i1es.jpg

Ivan - I'm afraid the Coupe body is different from the RACV type (which was also made for State Electricity commsn. Meter readers). The coupes (and we have several in our Club) have a nicely-shaped boot which doesn't extend back as far as the commercial ones. If of interest, the photo for the poster was taken to advertise our National Austin Seven Rally. The photographer arranged a picnic scene in a park. The coupe owner was Roy Ducat (since deceased) and the '25 Chummy was mine (note the number plate, and that's me!) and our respective wives were arranged around a barbecue, but the photo man decided to eliminate them, and left in Roy's dog, much to their disgust! (Would cause a furore these days?). He then bled out many of the "dots" in the photo to result in a sketch-type illustration. The coupe I think is now in Queensland and the Chummy is in West Australia. These Sevens get around! Cheers, Bill