Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Speedometer not working

My speedo on my RN is not working, are there any obvious checks I can make?. I have taken the cable off and it seems that the square on the cable ends are both too big. Should there be some kind of insert in the end or is it just the wrong cable?

Many thanks for any advice.

Re: Speedometer not working

Hi Bill,

To avoid a long, unnecessary and expensive problems (I speak from experience) please try the following:

First, disconnect the speedometer drive from the gearbox. Using a drill on slow speed, try gently turning the square drive and seeing if the speedometer registers.

If it does then the problem is most likely the gearbox spindle/worm drive which is worn. You can buy new ones from the cherished A7 suppliers.

If on the other hand, you find that the speedometer does not work then first check the cable at both ends. If it turns then the cable should be ok.

Finally, if the speedo is the issue then you can have it rebuilt but it can be rather expensive (£100++).

Good luck.

Matt

You can prod speedometers with a piece of squared skewer flicked by hand. Should offer no significant resistance. With age the diecast swells and can obstruct.

Thanks Matt

Thanks Bob

To check out a Magmo speedo have a look at the Bristol Club site www.ba7c.org and scroll down to the Technical stuff. Here you will find ways to free-up possible seizing and a few other tips.
Ron

Thanks Ron