Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Scuttle Petrol Tanks

I have an Short Scuttle RL Saloon with it's original scuttle petrol tank, with Ennots petrol tap in the conventional position, bottom corner, frontface, passenger side.
I am putting the finishing touches to a Long Scuttle RM Saloon, which has the Ennots tap in the same position. However, this tank has a fuel gauge tank unit fitted on the top face, driver's side. I assumed this tank was a replacement, taken from an early RP Van. These vans used the later dash arrangement using a petrol gauge. The said petrol tank was Austins way of using up surplus stocks of scuttle petrol tanks and updraught carbuettors.
I have recently aquired a scuttle tank with the same dimensions as the RM tank, also incorporating a hole to accept a fuel gauge unit. However, the petrol outlet is in the exact centre of the bottom surface, not on the front face nearside corner. The outlet is a simple brass female connector to accept conventional male pipe nut. The tank is too well made to be a DIY job.
Anyone out there know what it origimnally came from?

Re: Scuttle Petrol Tanks

I have a 1937/8 chrome rad two seater,with a three bearing engine, semi girling brakes, 17" wheels and Ruby steering wheel etc. in the workshop just now.

It has a scuttle tank like you describe - the owner is of the opinion it was a military/RAF car.

It has a silent block mounting for the back axle that is most unusual.

I have not come across a petrol tank with centre outlet as you describe,but the RM-type tank with sender unit was standard fit on vans up until the AVJ series of late 1936/early 1937; these retained the high chassis frame, chrome radiator and scuttle tank, but were otherwise to full 1937 mechanical specification with petrol pump and side-draft carburettor.

My AVJ van - first registered 30 April 1937 - has an RM-type tank with sender, but is gravity feed. The fuel pump hole on the crankcase is blanked off with what looks like a factory-supplied plate. However, in the 80 years since its birth there may have been some modifications, so I cannot swear to its originality. A glass bowl type fuel filter has been installed at some time, which was certainly not there in 1937.

Rick

Thank you Ruairidh, Mike and Rick for your replies. I was thinking Military, but wondered at the fuel tap arrangement. If the car you have, Ruarirdh, has a petrol pump, there is no need for a tap
Mike and Rick, I did not realise the RM style tank was fitted for so long. Rick,I assume your van has the standard petrol tap arrangement. John

When I bought it five years ago it had a simple lever operated on/off tap (no reserve) which protruded into the van in front of the passenger. This developed a leak and was irreparable. I had never seen this particular type of tap before, which was probably non-standard - like so much of these vans - so I replaced it with a push-pull tap which is now accessed from under the bonnet.

Rick