Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Timing Gears

Having a little play with my spares stash today as one does! Noticed that a pair of timing wheels that I am fairly certain were the originals from my 29 Fabric Saloon are marked 'Qualcast' cast in an oval on the large gear.
I haven't noticed this before, and do not have such markings on any of my other gears. The part number is as all my other gears is 1A486.
A quick search says that the Qualcast company was set up in 1928 to exclusively manufacture lawn mowers.
Have others noticed this marking?
Could this have been an early dip into motor manufacturing for Qualcast that came to nothing.
Ian M. : waiting to hear everyone on the planet has seen them apart from me

Re: Timing Gears

Just found another set with a label that they 'did' come from my Fabric Saloon for certain.
Large gear is part no. 1A 265 so the ones above are probably later. Ian M

Im sure I have some qualcast timing gears too. I also think there is a very old fridge compressor in the garage with the same makers mark.

R

I've a set as well. Used to have one of their lawnmowers!

Steve

Since posting the above I have found that Qualcast did make very high quality castings for various motor manufacturers in the 1920s even cylinder blocks for Talbot!
I think I am correct in thinking that pattern parts suppliers such as Remax etc. had their own part numbering system, so the fact that Qualcast used normal Austin part numbers on these gears may mean they were ordered by Austins as original parts fitted at works.
With Longbridge's huge production capability I wonder why they needed outside supply? Ian M

I'm sure I recall seeing the Qualcast logo on brake drums in the 60's,but can't remember on what make of car,could well have been BMC. Just found this drum on E-Bay so they certainly made some for Triumph motorcycles.
eBay item number:112394026419

I went to qualcast on a pre apprenticeship trip in the early 70's,I thought I'd gone to hell,all the noise heat and muck!

Was that qualcast in Derby? I worked at the next door factory. The thing I remember most was the smell of burnt casting sand.

Looking through my stock of Timing Gears I find I have one large gear branded with a diamond symbol containing the word 'Repton'. Part number on the rear is 1A486. Given that Repton is near Derby, is this related to the Qualcast Foundry in any way?

Steve

Alan
Was that qualcast in Derby? I worked at the next door factory. The thing I remember most was the smell of burnt casting sand.

Yes in Sinfin Lane.I ended up working in RR Sinfin A site down the road.
According to the internet QDF as it was 2003 was restructured and ceased cylinder head casting production for tractors and the like around this date.

Re: Timing Gears, Qualcast

Qualcast, later QDF Components (Qualcast Derby Foundries) made iron castings for just about any car on U.K. roads up until around 2006, when they were asset-stripped and shut down, despite still being a viable concern. There were patterns dating back to the 30s there at the time,which would have included the original patterns for cars such as the Austin Seven. I can't think of many companies they didn't do work for at some point; even the brake discs for the DeLorean were made by Qualcast, though we were never paid for them The drawings would been in the drawing office also, but sadly all this would have been skipped upon demolition.

When I was there it was mostly automobile parts; but there used to be irons, signs, mowers, drills, grenades, mortars...

Re: Timing Gears, Qualcast

We had a Qualcast push-type mower back in the 1950's, and I have seen the name on other things as well, possibly Armstrong Siddeley (Girling) brake drums. So, Ian, your comment about "everyone else on the planet" is probably valid!
Ivan