Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DS4 Distributors

I am one of the diehards (i.e. sad) people trying to keep a DS4 distributor going.
I have been quite lucky in obtaining a spare one complete with points and cap and also a BNIB cap and BNIB points.
The problem is the rotor arm; I am using a cut down Vauxhall one at the moment which seems to work OK but seems to me to be a sloppy fit on the drive spindle.
If anyone has one, even a worn one, I would be interested.
The Lucas No is M1787 and the Remax No is ES31, these being obtained from http://oldcarservices.co.uk website wich has a very useful chart of all the numbers.
According to the website of the Vintage Mor*is Min*r club (you have to log in) the caps are the same as the fifties Renault Dauphine, can anyone confirm that?
The website also has a comparison list of part numbers for the DS4 and others.

Re: DS4 Distributors

Brian,

I can lend you one to copy if that is of help?

It might be worth a word with the distributor doctor Its earlier than his normal run of the mill lucas work but I've found him very helpful and knowledgeable

I have also been told that a Renault Dauphine distributor cap looks right and fits. And that a French SEV cap (whatever that is) drops straight on.

David

Brian,
I used a small piece of insulation tape between spindle and rotor arm for many years without any problem. Very cheap solution for us impecunious (ie.mean) enthusiasts.
Cheers,
Dave.

Many thanks Dave, do I take it that the rotor to spindle fit was not too good?
Regards
Brian

Brian,

There was recently a thread on the VSCC forum that identified the rotor arm to use as an intermotor IM4780 or 47800 as used on:
BEDFORD (GM) Chevanne 1.3
TRIUMPH GT6 2.0
TRIUMPH Spitfire 1.3
VAUXHALL Cavalier 1.3
VAUXHALL Chevette 1.2
VAUXHALL Chevette 1.3
VAUXHALL VX4/90 1.6

Equivalent to parts:
Bosch 4108
Bosch Australia GD85
Delco 1847291
Delco 1849955
Delco 1883500
Delco 1905590
Delco 820445
Delco 9977304
Delco CR6000
Delco D-400
Delco DB400
Ford 1507319
Ford 5004905
Ford A710X12200AA
Ford A780X12200GA
GM 93891291
GM 93891845
Kerr Nelson IRT026
Lucas 54420904
Lucas DRB703C
Lucas RA3
Lucas Australia GL904
Talbot 5226535

The conductor has to be shortened by about 1/8th inch. I have just bought a Motaquip equivalent (numbered VRA111 on the box) is a better fit on the shaft than the original one on my DS4 and is quite suitable fit.

The cap as above comes from a SEV distributor used on the renault dauphine among others, Intermotor part IM4432 or 44320. I am currently waiting for one to arrive from ebay. The cap is not shown on the Intermotor website so I think has been discontinued, available NOS from various sources. There are some made by Supra that would seem to fit but do not have the same vintage aesthetic as the intermotor version.
The cap was used on:
Peugeot
404 1.6 1960-65
404 Pick-up J7 1965-75

Renault
Dauphine 1091, Flouride 1092 1959-62
Simca Aronde 1960-63

Replaces : SEV S4000, 39785, 39811, 430 50003
Ren 8021784

Regards

Rob

Brian,
The rotor arm was new when I bought it many years ago but it was a very loose fit on the shaft even then so it always had the tape on it to take up the play.
Cheers,
Dave

Just in from the shed and have two N.O.S. boxed (Remax)rotor arms for DS4 distributors.

Ruairidh, I have left a message on your email address as shown on your posts.
Dave, thanks for the info, I have probably been worrying needlessly and will try your tip.
Rob, your reply is excellent and provides numbers to look for at autojumbles.

Unfortunately, the distributor doctor does not have any DS4 rotor arms at present but his site might be useful to people with the later distributors.

Just waking up an old thread. I have a DS4 unit which has what seems to be excessive play in the shaft, is there any tips to rebuilding this unit? The points, rotor and cap are in good condition.

Just trying to eliminate erratic sparking. With the points set at 20thou I am getting inconsistent spark at each lead. Same occurs a with a smaller gap but not as frequent.

Might get 10 sparks in a row and then miss one as an example.

I have installed new coil, leads and an additional earth strap just in case it was a bad earth.

Duncan,
It is very unusual for these to develop excessive wear. There is no reason why you can't bush the body if the wear is not on the spindle. It may be best to try and get another one to make a good one out of the two. I have about 6 on the shelf but they are a bit of a long way from you!
Take the whole thing apart and see what is warn. Then report back.

All the best

Tom

My DS4 has Triumph Spitfire rotor arm. It's a tight fit.
The invoice details from HISTORIC CAR PARTS were:
Rotor Arm for Triumph Spitfire 1300
1296 1969-74 Delco
Item Number 390358671828

It cost £7.79

Jim Holyoake
My DS4 has Triumph Spitfire rotor arm. It's a tight fit.
The invoice details from HISTORIC CAR PARTS were:
Rotor Arm for Triumph Spitfire 1300
1296 1969-74 Delco
Item Number 390358671828

It cost £7.79

Many thanks Jim, as it happens the DS4 was sold along with the Chummy a couple of years ago but hopefully the information will be of use to others.

I found a cap to fit the DS4 CAV type distributor from small Ford Spares to fit a 1932 to 35 Ford (presumably Y type). Their code YE 12116 A. Fitted with Vauxhaul HA rotor arm and my chummy special is back on the road.

Many thanks for the extra information Dermot,it may help others who have DS4s.
My present '31 Box has a DJ4 for which I had no problem obtaining parts for.