Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rochdale body

Can anyone help me.

I came accross what looked to he a seven special on friday. It had a fibreglass body on it that looked like an e type jag.

It has been suggested to me that it is a Rochdale.

Does anyone have any pics? So i could confirm.

Re: Rochdale body

History of Rochdale bodies here: http://www.rochdale-owners-club.co.uk/

That site seems very light on seven content. This car came up on my car check as 'Austin 7 Sports'

I promise I will try harder the next time I'm doing some research for you

Amazing how you manage to link in with all this information Ruairidh. You must have a very comprehensive bookcase and never fail to come up with information no matter how limited it may be.

It's a new thing called the Interweb Barty ;-)

Ruairidh Dunford
I promise I will try harder the next time I'm doing some research for you

I wasnt trying to sound ungratefull honestly!.

That lot seem very 'Olympic'. But not so much of the early bodies/cars.

Id be interested to see a pic of a Mkvi or a GT on a Seven chassis to compare to the pic in my head.

My googling has been fruitless. All ford donors.

A 1952 advert for the early Mk II A7 Rochdale ........

http://www.fordspecials.co.uk/rochdale.html

Also this page shows a Mk II in colour ......

http://sportscarpioneers.yolasite.com

Non of them look like an E Type though.

Note the mention of minimum 6' 9" chassis for the glass fibre Mk VI - sold in pieces to be cut to fit chassis wheelbase.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

These cars are very obscure and were made to order, the one you have seen may well be unique. The other ones I have seen are like the one in Jeff's advert above (one like this sold at Bonhams a few years back) what you describe sounds more like the bodies shown on the Ford engined ones hence my link.

To be honest it seems that it is likely to be a mkvi. Though what I remember it looked more like a GT I shall see if I can return this week and take a pic. Trouble is, as with everything its on private land down a green lane. And its a 20min drive from work (Shrewsbury) so the skiving will take some organising

Hedd Jones
That site seems very light on seven content. This car came up on my car check as 'Austin 7 Sports'

Why not post a question in their guest book, they appear to have a members only section for early 750 cars

it has been confirmed as a Microplas 'Stiletto', on Ruby undercarriage.

I shall be going to see it soon.

I spotted an Ashley bodied car on a Seven chassis last year, with a Ford Sidevalve in it. Was part of the collapsed Mouldsworth collection, but when that was sold off, this one returned to the road.

Sorry, not Rochdale, but interesting!

There's an identical Ashley 750 Austin 7 special - though without the hardtop shown above, on ebay classifieds at the moment for £4,800. It has an A7 mag engine and is said to be based on a 1936 chassis with Speedex wheels. The car apparently has its own website ashley750.co.uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashley-750-Austin-Seven-special-project-Rare-two-seater-sports-car-REDUCED-PRICE-/141533917764?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20f4143244

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Thats been for sale off and on for 6 months.

They don't seem to have the following of pretend ulsters.

After seeing that Ashley in person, I really rather liked it. More space, and more money, and I'd really consider one.

The hardtop has the great merit of concealing the driver, thus avoiding the appearance of a mop in a bucket. I have been trying to find the Brockbank (or was it Red Daniels?) cartoon, "Sheep in Wolf's Clothing" but have failed. Anyone?
Regards,
Stuart
PS To refer to your other thread - a grave sin, I tremble - either orange or primrose. I'm with David T, they need to see you. Dark green or navy blue, you may well come as a surprise to the unobservant.

I passed my driving test in an Ashley in 1978. I loved that car, but the 750mc wouldn't allow it to race due to the lack of an upright radiator. For that reason I sold it, and replaced it with a Cambridge, that I got from 750mc founder member Bill Butler. It cost me £400. I still own it, but there's no room in my garage to put it together.
Unlike Stuart's memories of the Ashley, mine was well built, and the driver sat very low in the cockpit. I did put the hardtop on, one winter's day - but after 2 miles of driving, I realised I liked open motoring best, and took it off again.
Regarding the Stilleto - I think they were built by Mike Eyre.

Thanks for bringing back some happy memories. Now it's back to work.

Regards,
Colin

Bill was a really nice person, Colin. I knew he had a Cambridge many years ago, indeed he once said to me "I wish I had it now". I'm delighted to learn it still survives.
Regards,
Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I thought you'd appreciate that. You're right, Bill was a lovely person. When I bought the Cambridge, it had a ruby grill, which I changed to a chrome job. I kept the extended tail, with standard ruby tank. I liked to have the extra storage area, and when I get round to rebuilding it, I will retain that feature.

All the best,
Colin

Here are some pics of my Rochdale GT

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22719913@N04/sets/72157641153018995/

Regards
Andrew

Re: Rochdale body - Ashley 750

Hi Guys,

I was very interested in this post, which I was directed to via David, an Austin Seven collector, he also has an Ashley 750 which is my connection with him.
I am webmaster of http://ashley750.weebly.com/ to name but one and maintain an Ashley Registration Index of all things Ashley.

I was very interested to see the photo's Andrew Wright posted of Ashley 750 - DKX820, from the Mouldsworth collection, I'm wondering if this is a known fact as the car looks very much like another Ashley 750 I have photo's of from the Madog Motor Museum, Wales, this Museum has also closed, see at very bottom of webpage: http://ashley750.weebly.com/ashley-750----569-yuw.html

I wonder if it could it be the same Ashley, moved from Madog Museum to Mouldsworth Museum and then onto public sale? It looks very much like it, same one windscreen wiper, bonnet catches, badly fitting drivers door, petrol cap and same year of registration.

Jeff Taylors post regards Ashley 750 - DXC805, it has now been sold.

Hedd Jones did you ever get back to take a photo of the car you saw, if so was it an Ashley 750, would like to see it if so.

And last but not least,

Colin, "I passed my driving test in an Ashley in 1978". Have you any photo's of your Ashley 750, can you supply me with any info about it, do I have it listed in my Registration Index or any of the webpages??
I'm of course asking to add more to my website, any help welcomed.

Cheers,

Ivor

Ivor

The car was a Microplast Stilletto body on austin running gear.

I do have photos, but they are not for public consumption by request of the owner.

A very pretty body as tupperware goes.

Ivor Coster
Hi Guys,

I was very interested in this post, which I was directed to via David, an Austin Seven collector, he also has an Ashley 750 which is my connection with him.
I am webmaster of http://ashley750.weebly.com/ to name but one and maintain an Ashley Registration Index of all things Ashley.

I was very interested to see the photo's Andrew Wright posted of Ashley 750 - DKX820, from the Mouldsworth collection, I'm wondering if this is a known fact as the car looks very much like another Ashley 750 I have photo's of from the Madog Motor Museum, Wales, this Museum has also closed, see at very bottom of webpage: http://ashley750.weebly.com/ashley-750----569-yuw.html

I wonder if it could it be the same Ashley, moved from Madog Museum to Mouldsworth Museum and then onto public sale? It looks very much like it, same one windscreen wiper, bonnet catches, badly fitting drivers door, petrol cap and same year of registration.

Jeff Taylors post regards Ashley 750 - DXC805, it has now been sold.

Hedd Jones did you ever get back to take a photo of the car you saw, if so was it an Ashley 750, would like to see it if so.

And last but not least,

Colin, "I passed my driving test in an Ashley in 1978". Have you any photo's of your Ashley 750, can you supply me with any info about it, do I have it listed in my Registration Index or any of the webpages??
I'm of course asking to add more to my website, any help welcomed.

Cheers,

Ivor

Hello Ivor,

The car I posted pictures of was certainly in the Mouldsworth collection, as a close friend of mine used to help out at the museum on weekends, and can attest to that car being part of the collection. The photos you post from the Madog Museum, were actually taken at Mouldsworth as far as I am aware. My friends quote from the time on being asked about it was so:

"Glad to see it out and about. Can't remember how long we had it in the museum, but lovely thing"

The car was sold at auction when the collection was split last year, and the new owner lives in the North West still, I spotted the car at Cholmondeley.

Hope that clears things up a bit, will try to find out more when I see either my friend or the owner again.

Re: Ashley 750

Hi Andrew & Hedd,

Thanks for your replies, Hedd your sighting may not have been an Ashley but it got DKX820 out in the open and into my view.

Andrew, your location is more reliable than mine I suspect as mine was only a possible, it seems the two Museums were not that far apart really so a possible memory mistake.

When you see your friend could you please confirm with him if my photo's were at the Mouldsworth Museum so I can correct the webpage.

Also if you see the owner again could you please ask him to contact me so we can collaborate on updating his cars webpage.

I also have a guy looking for one of those Ashley 750 GT hardtops for his 750 restoration, if you know of any that could be for sale please let me know.

Many thanks,

Ivor