Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gordon England Cup Model body

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the original body which was removed from the 1928 Cup Model YW214? A newly made body was substituted in the late 1960's. Could the original still be around on another chassis or was it used for replica purposes? I am sure that quite a few people would be very interested to know as this car in it's original form, when it was in red fabric, was quite historic having been driven by E.C. Gordon England, together with his wife, at the Goodwood Festival of Speed some years ago. Any information would be interesting see.

Geoff.

Re: Gordon England Cup Model body

Geoff,

I have the remains of several original Cup bodies but remains are all they are. The wood and fabric is very delicate and literally crumble when you touch some parts.

If the body does survive I would expect it to be in a similarly fragile state.

YW 214 is alive and well in West Yorkshire and is a regular entrant on the runs I organise. The body might have been replaced in the !960's but it is the most original looking Cup I know of and is in very good hands.
The original Cup bodies were made largely of plywood and as anyone knows who has had experience of 1920's plywood, it was very susceptible to woodworm and delamination. It is unlikely that any original GE body will have survived without major repair. Had modern type plywood and adhesives been available in the 1920's the GE type of body might have had a longer lease of life.

I wonder if the builder of the replacement body on YW 214 made any more examples? If it is the best of the replica ones surely he did.

If you lined up YW214 with every other GE Cup in the UK it is the one you would say is original, so if the body was replaced it was superbly done.
As with all fabric covered bodies, the finished item depends to a large extent on the type of material used and the amount of padding employed beneath.
YW214 stands out as what a GE Cup should look like.

Malcolm Parker
If you lined up YW214 with every other GE Cup in the UK it is the one you would say is original, so if the body was replaced it was superbly done.
As with all fabric covered bodies, the finished item depends to a large extent on the type of material used and the amount of padding employed beneath.
YW214 stands out as what a GE Cup should look like.

Not so. YW214 has a 'new' body.

YT 7138 is the most original (so far) and preserved unrestored and unmolested with original body and printed fabric covering.
Also the original hood covering, upholstery and even the fabric apron between engine and passenger compartment.

lovely.

"no, no, the hood is absolutely fine. Just wear a mac"

what future for that car, with things like the hood? Will it be preserved (off the car) but replaced, or is it a museum piece?

Thank you all for the very interesting replies to the fate of the original body from YW 214.Please don't stop the information coming, the Cup Model is possibly unique in having it's origin from early aircraft design!

Many thanks again Geoff.

I stand corrected, Henry, YT 7138 takes the biscuit for originality! I doubt whether it will cover the annual mileage of YW 214 but it is good to see that it does come out to rallies.
As you are probably aware, Geoff, Gordon England was an aeronautical engineer prior to turning his talents to car design. I would suggest that the GE Brooklands has more in common with a WW1 aircraft fusilage than the later Cup model.
Many of the special racing bodies on the cars racing at Brooklands in the early 1920's bore a resemblance to aircraft. The Wolseley Moth is a case in point.

Report of PWA7C 'Sevens to the Sea' run today showing Gordon England Cup YW214.

HERE

Bryan

Good to see YW214 is still up and running.
Back in circa 1928 how long did it take to make just the wooden body- framework and plywood skin? I would also think the cost could not be more
than about 20% of the final selling price.

Many thanks for comments

Geoff.

Rumour has it that small 2 seater bodies then cost less than £10 to make..... material costs for a Cup would have been minimal as the plywood was only 1.5 mm and white wood rather than ash was reputedly used in parts of the frame. Cost of wadding and fabric?
A weeks wages say £2 then?for a 5 1/2 day week...

The ash for my complete frame cost me £15 last year! I opted for aluminium to skin it which cost £100. Plus ply for the bulkheads, floors etc say another £100. But then there's the manpower cost!
Regards
Bill G

YW 214 was rebodied by Graham True in the late 60's after he had rebuilt his Avon bodied Seven. The original body was in very poor condition. It was completely dismantled and each wooden part used as a pattern for new ash. The plywood parts were also replaced. Two of each part was made and the second set used by me to make the body for PX 7400. All the metal work was also copied for my car. YW 214 still has all its original windscreen, hinges, latches, catches etc and the boot skin. Mr E Gordon England visited Graham and I during the rebuild and was very pleased to see one of his old cars . As far as I know all the original rotten wood was disposed of. I still have photos of YW 214 and PX 7400 during this period

Photos of YW 214, pre, during and post restoration:

https://gordonenglandregister.wordpress.com/yw-214-prior-to-rebuild-1964/

David Howe
Two of each part was made and the second set used by me to make the body for PX 7400.

Someone (sorry, can't remember who) told me that 3 repro bodies were made? Happy to be corrected.

YV 2 is another car like YW 214: an authentic Cup with a repro body copied from the original by a professional coachbuilder.

David

YW 214 at Slough Farm in 1954 photo bunnyinmud.jpg

YW 214 at Slough Farm, Claygate, 1954. Malden & District MC Mud Plug. driver Colin Hoile.

When Graham True rebuilt the Cup in the late 60's the car belonged to a man who lived on the Leatherhead Road, not far from Claygate