sunflower

Mastiff Guardian

Where friends and Mastiff families gather

Mastiff Guardian
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
need help with pack aggression, dog behaviorist, or re-homing a dog aggressive mastiff. :(

help please: our english mastiff, emma, has always had an aggression problem towards other dogs. she occasionally goes after the house dogs (we have 3 other dogs) but we could get her to quickly release and she didn't hurt them, just scared them by grabbing and pinning them while growling thrashing. This past month she has gone after the house dogs 3x, and would not let go. tonight it took my husband and I both to get her to release. We are very concerned and afraid of her transfering this behavior to the kids or other small children who come to our house with friends. We are seriously considering re-homing her (as much as it breaks our hearts to do so... she is our baby) but are at a loss as to what to do. She is pedigreed, spayed, graduated basic and advanced training, and will be 2y in april. Any help is appreciated....

Re: need help with pack aggression, dog behaviorist, or re-homing a dog aggressive mastiff. :(

Oh dear, I am very sorry you are dealing with this. For now can you keep a crate and rotate routine? Or keep a separated / gated house?

Kids in the house scares me too, a child could be near when a strike hits. Have you taken her to the vet for a check up and FULL thyroid panel? Tick panel too?

Contact your breeder and tell them what is going on, if anything she should go back to the breeder. If that is not possible, the contact Mastiff Rescue. What area are you in?

There is also V, Virginia Wind… she posts on most mastiff boards with simplifyit

Re: need help with pack aggression, dog behaviorist, or re-homing a dog aggressive mastiff. :(

I agree with everything Heather said,an aggressive Mastiff is dangerous and you need professional help in dealing with her.
I really hate to hear this.I had to put Darcy down due to aggressive behaviour and it nearly broke my heart.I kept her away from my grandkids when they came and I had to watch her constantly around my smaller dogs.We decided to just keep her away from people the rest of her life(except us of course)instead of putting her down.When Dusty had to have heart surgery it became impossible for me to handle her and be at hospital with him so had to make a very hard decision when she went after my neighbor who was feeding for me while I was gone =( I feel so bad for you but this could be a ticking time bomb and I would keep your children away from her just in case.

Oh Dana, I'm so sorry that you and I managed to post just a few hours apart on separate threads . . . me bragging about my Mastiff guy's good behavior on one thread, and you so concerned about your Mastiff gal's poor behavior on another: I can't imagine how worried you must be for Emma and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

I don't have much additional info to offer but do consult professionals in your area, and Emma's breeder, as others here have appropriately suggested. If nothing else, these contacts - thorough research & necessary inquiry - will make you more comfortable with any decision you must ultimately make.

Any chance additional obedience classes . . . of course alerting the professional instructor(s) of Emma's tendencies in advance . . . or the hiring of a private trainer could help the situation? I would certainly research those options, too. I'm sure things are frightening, just breathe deeply and continue to keep Emma segregated from the little ones until you formulate and exercize a good plan.

I apologize if that last paragraph was presumptive (as I know well that I don't know all of the details) but follow your heart and keep searching for the best possible solution for all. Hugs to you and Emma!

Again, good thoughts and prayers being sent your way. -Cindy-

thanks for the suggestions and well wishes! we are sending her to a 2 wk socialization/aggression bootcamp with follow up at home. if this doesn't help, we will be re-homing through a rescue so she can be placed in a home without other dogs.
the aggresion is all jealousy/attention related, if just left alone in the house, the dogs are fine. but when i come home or if there is activity in the house (visitors) she goes nuts trying to vie for top position.
hopefully this will work!!!

Your plan sounds excellent, Dana. Best of luck and best wishes for your family and Emma! I've never heard of such a socializing "boot camp" in my area but I'm thrilled you've found one in your area for Emma.

(Is it a nationally promoted program / organization or is it locally specific? I'm just asking for future reference as it seems such a great idea and opportunity for the pups we love like Emma who might be in a similar situation.)

I would imagine the hardest part will be the 'home follow up' (since Emma's behavior is "jealousy based" in her own home) but the program seems like it could be a great experience for Emma.

Hope ya' know I'm cheering for both you and Emma! Good thoughts and prayers still being sent! -Cindy-

sunflower