sunflower

Mastiff Guardian

Where friends and Mastiff families gather

Mastiff Guardian
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Imagine!

Okay . . . Imagine a 200 pound Mastiff. Now imagine a 20 pound Boston. Next imagine a 20 pound Boston strutting heads up under a 200 pound Mastiff's body and between the Mastiff's legs in a race to greet Mom or Dad. OF COURSE they tumble! Now guess who gets up "grumpy and growling?" - - - No surprise to us Mastiff lovers, the sassy Boston acts the victim every single time! And who gets the last laugh? The Mastiff that merely scowls at the Boston as the little one scampers away!

We are still caring for my in-laws' Boston, Baxter. He is fitting in a lot better with our environment but still not yet totally convinced he is NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING THE ALPHA in our home or yard. Despite his selfish antics AND slow learning curve the little booger is growing on me.

The best of the best news is that Sampson, the Mastiff, is finally realizing we don't expect him to cow-tow to the little beast just because he is the bigger, first dog. Samp is finally becoming quite comfortable with the fact that Baxter sometimes just needs to be gently reminded that dogs aren't allowed to act wild around the other pets and humans, "JUST CUZ IT AIN'T RIGHT TO BE SO BOSSY" and seldom hesitates to give Baxter "THE LOOK" that reminds the little guy of such.

Oh how I love this Mastiff life! -Cindy-

Re: Imagine!

Oh Cindy, so happy to hear that Sampy is now comfortable giving Baxter the "knock it off" look. I would imagine that's going to have the most effect on Baxtron's behavior and hopefully give you a little break from worrying about Sampy. I can't believe you actually said "the little guy is growing on you".

You nailed it, Jackie - - - That "knock it off" look is exactly what Sampson has finally mastered and it is indeed making me feel a lot more comfortable with the giant and small breed, Mutt & Jeff type pair, as they co-exist in the same household and yard!

The Baxtron remains obnoxious and demanding when he feels like such, and the very fact that he's still showing poor behavior on a semi regular basis doesn't endear him to any of us. None-the-less it is his inherent sweetness, slowly revealed, that makes me grow a bit fonder of the bully. ( Pun not initially intended with the use of the word "bully," but it is appropriate! ) Baxter really does have his sweet moments . . . they have just been few and far between.

And dear Sampson remains an excellent judge of character as he chooses to respond or ignore Baxter's ever changing antics: I'm so very, darn proud of my Mastiff fur babe, Sampson! -Cindy-

I too have a boston with Jagger, he gets the upper hand by simply sitting on her when she gets up on the couch with me. He really does it , just gets up and watches as his butt lands on her and I swear he smiles.

sunflower