sunflower

Mastiff Guardian

Where friends and Mastiff families gather

Mastiff Guardian
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wrigley's evergreen fetish

Seems I recall the same thing happening last year about this time. Springtime in the midwest.

Over the last couple of weeks, in the early mornings, Wrigley has become infatuated with some of the Blue Spruces in my back yard. He’ll go from one to the other walking around them, smelling them, looking up into them. This lasts for 10-15 minutes before he comes inside, and looks at me, all energetic and playful. He’s inside for about 10 min before he heads right back outside straight to the evergreens. Occasionally when inside he’ll stand in the middle of the room and whine. He goes through the inside/outside routine for at least an hour before settling down. If I didn’t know better I’d think the evergreens put out some kind of pheromone similar to a female in heat. Normally winter, summer and fall he wakes in the morning from my bedroom only to go downstairs to sleep on the couch; sometimes not even going outside until 10 am. Springtime it’s 100% opposite.

I assumed this was just something about my Blue Spruces with perhaps some animal in the trees until I took him to a local park the other day. He was on long lead and I let him lead the walk. He would invariably head to the evergreens, walk around them, sniff, look up etc. As I write this morning he’s inside looking at me, whining before wanting to head right back outside to the evergreens.

Re: Wrigley's evergreen fetish

How funny! I know I have evergreens but not sure if they're blue spruce. I'll have to see if Hemi has any reaction to mine and let you know.

Hmmm, don't know what that's about. I don't have blue spruce either -- just white pine and a hemlock. Both my dogs like to walk under them and feel the branches on their backs. And that's all year 'round, even if they're covered with snow. Let us know if you get that one figured out!

Our next door neighbors had a Blue Spruce (over 60 years old, and the tree was ginormous!) They had it cut down in the aught years of this century as it was dying from the bottom up. Blue Spruces grow well around here yet most are small tree transplants and few pop up on their own. Most of the transplants die out at about 50 years.

The Blue Spruce was several yards outside of our fence line, however, and the dogs only got the opportunity to "sniff" such when on walks. They were always fascinated by such. Then again, they were (Sampy still is) always mesmerized by different smells outside of the yard so I couldn't say for sure that they had (have) fetishes (or other inclinations) to admire the tree or not!

All that said, I think Blue Spruces are beautiful evergreens and I miss our neighbors' tree tremendously - - - I'm guessing the dogs pick up an extra scent (or two or twenty) that we can't detect. Wrigley is a lucky boy to have a few in his own yard! Enjoy the beauty of the Blue Spruces and the curious interests of the big boy, Wrigley, to meet, greet and spend time around these trees during springtime! -Cindy-

To funny !! Yep sounds like he is smelling something good. ha ha... I have another thought though... maybe the female cats or male cats that roam the night come over and spray your trees? That sure would drive him nuts. ha ha. what do you think? I know in the Spring a lot of animals are ready to mate.. someone might be in Love with Wrigley and is telling him. hee hee

Looks like Wrigely's fascination with the evergreen trees has just about run its course. It's not completely gone as he's still somewhat interested but the massive excitement rush he was getting a couple of weeks ago seems to have subsided. We'll be going to the park today so I'll see if he leads me to the evergreens at the park like he did last time.

sunflower