sunflower

Mastiff Guardian

Where friends and Mastiff families gather

Mastiff Guardian
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
All shoud go well, but prayers & good thoughts welcomed.

Sampson, aka Sampy, aka Samp, aka Sweetie Pea, aka Big Petey Boy, aka Sweetie Petey Baby Boy, aka Big Pretty Boy, is scheduled for elective day surgery later this morning 01/03/14, and Mastiff Mama, Cindy can't sleep. But since I seldom sleep completely through most nights, that's a rather misleading, poor reference point! He should be just fine and I'm optimistic about a good outcome.

All is expected to go well, but he has a recurring cyst - it's ruptured and been infected twice in the last couple of months - so we decided, mid December, to get it removed after the holidays, i.e., today, January 3rd, 2014!

We think it's another ingrown hair follicle but this was discovered much sooner than the last one, it's much smaller than the last one, it's located on his upper, topside neck (just south of his collar and between the area just north of his shoulder blades) so he hasn't been able to mess with it like he did with the last one. And, since it's smaller & in such a "fleshy" area, versus the last one on his thin skinned rump, we don't expect any skin grafting will be necessary this time around, either . . . In other words, we are hoping for a simple day surgery with the slight possibility of merely an overnight stay at the vet's.

Regardless . . . all prayers and good thoughts sent his way will be more than appreciated! Thanks, friends! Ya'll take care, okay? -Cindy-

P.S. I'll make it a point to update sometime over the weekend! Thanks again.

Re: All shoud go well, but prayers & good thoughts welcomed.

Sending prayers and good thoughts for a simple procedure for your sweet boy. We are always stressed when our kids have surgery, until they are home on the couch with a blanket... Update when you can.

Sorry I'm late in seeing this Cindy, but you know that Sampy is always in my thoughts and prayers.
Now be a good boy Samp so Mom can stop worrying about you.

Thank you, friends! Sampy's surgery went very well and as smoothly as the vet predicted. As well, the vet is very sure the cyst was (as we hoped) merely an ingrown hair follicle gone wild - and nothing more - and no longer a threat. Sampson was home by late Friday afternoon and his recovery has been remarkably (and we are grateful) very, very ordinary! He's such a trooper!

The "Sweetie Petey" did get sick & throw up Saturday afternoon, (the vet warned us of such on Friday, mostly because of the big dose, big dogs need, of anesthesia Samp had the day of the surgery) but I think it was my fault for letting him drink too much water at once on Saturday morn. (Bad Mastiff Mama!) He devoured a miniature mastiff serving of rice & chicken chunks Saturday eve and even wanted more so I'm happy his appetite has completely recovered, too!

Take care all, and thanks again for the prayers & good thoughts! -Cindy & Samp-

Awesome news Cindy.

Good news for both of you. Thanks for the update.

Just now seeing this,so glad he is okay =)

sunflower