sunflower

Mastiff Guardian

Where friends and Mastiff families gather

Mastiff Guardian
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Waking (or not) the sleeping beast

Had thought about this for awhile and since the board is extremely sloooooooooowwwww…..

Does your Mastiff have selective hearing when he’s asleep ?

I mean, with Wrigley I can clap my hands, open doors, yell at him, and even watch as Ernie (black lab pup) crawls all over him, yet he continues to lay quietly napping, even snoring. On the other hand, as soon as I make a step on to the stairs leading upstairs, he’s right there, following me up. It’s uncanny and I have no idea how he does it. Even with me trying to be very quiet, it doesn’t matter. From what appears to be a very sound sleep, he quickly awakens upon that first stair step. Amazing.

Re: Waking (or not) the sleeping beast

One other thing seems to awaken him but a big part of it may be due to the time of day. It's when I put his dry dog food into his metal feeding bowl at ~6pm every evening. The snoring ends, Wrigley walks into the kitchen and sits majestically waiting to be fed.

Re: Waking (or not) the sleeping beast

Now I find it hilarious, Bill, that you and I apparently posted similar stories the same day. (And I had not read your post about Wrigley's selective hearing before I posted a similar ordeal of Sampson's selective hearing!) That's funny!

I can't prove it scientifically, but I'm on board with your suppositions that the Mastiffs do possess "selective" hearing abilities! If you have the chance to read my own 3/31/14 post, you will recognized that all of my "hollering" for Sampson (as he surely could have heard my voice from within the house as I wandered about the backyard in a robe with the flashlight in the middle of the night - with the backdoor open - as he slept comfortably, with no response, on the couch while I panicked) didn't do a diddly darn to disconnect Samp's "selective hearing!" Hope Sampy's story makes Wrigley's story sound perfectly normal in the Mastiff world! And yes, I'm absolutely sure these gentle giants practice "selective hearing" on a regular basis! I think the joke is on us pet parents!

But what to do, what to do? I guess the good answer is to just love them!

"Hey's" from Sampson to Wrigley! -Cindy-

sunflower