CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ISV - Snow Dome and Ice Rinks

Accoring to the Cardiff Devils owner on latest video on cardiffdevils.com the tenders for the snow dome, ice rink etc at ISV have to be submitted in the next week and a decision will be made by mid Jan.

Some sketches or plans would be good.....

Re: ISV - Snow Dome and Ice Rinks

I think the new tenders are much more comprehensive and include a multi storey car park (so that the surface car park between the pool and the rafting centre can be freed up), an ice rink (hopefully dual pad), a hotel and a snow dome.

Thats considerably more extensive than the lst tender which was for the ice rink only.

Like you I'd like to see some images.

Anyone get the feeling were going around in circle's?
I remember in 1998 the international sports village was a £240 million development. But by 2002 it had changed to a £700 million development. By 2005 the development had moved on to £1 billion project. Then it's back to a single ice pad with 3000 seats. Then it's 2 ice pads with snow dome 2 hotels restraunts/shops ect. Then... Then... I know we want the best facilities but at this rate we will get nothing.
Keep it simple, keep your promise of a 4000 seat minimum arena with 2 ice pads and build on that. The footfall from the ice rink will be bigger encouragement for further investment.
A football club wouldn't get treated like this why should ice hockey?

As long as its all master planned so as to have adequate public realm and access by foot then i think it should be ok, what the area doesnt need is to just let tent like buildings pop up serving multiple uses with no connection to each other, other than a sporting use.

it should not have a snow dome, its flat, to be anywhere near decent it needs a big slope, they won't get that on this site and it won't be as successful as it could be

Most snow domes are built on the flat..... The biggest one in the world is in Dubai which is a pretty flat place. As is the one in Milton Keynes. Building on a slope would push the costs skywards.

and the one in milton keynes is rubbish. as is telford. dubai looks great but again at its longest is 400 metres which is what 35 seconds for a good ski run??
how wpuld building on the existing slope rather than buildoingh a slope be an addtional cost?

I must admit I've never built a snow slope but wouldn't it be constructed within the building, ie. with a sort of scaffolding rather than 'bulldozing' during construction?

I would imagine that the complex will be quite large - I would imagine that the run would be anywhere between 250m and 350m and maybe around 40m to 50m at its height?? Added to the other services and facilities it does offer the opportunity to create another landmark sports building in Cardiff.

What would be nice as well would be if there was at least some outline long term commitment to link the ISV to city centre via light tram, rail etc.

There's already a rail link to Cogan. And that bridge has been built specifically for that purpose. If they reopened the line to Penarth that would be about 6 trains an hour.

I can confirm that the IceRink will be built this year and opening in 2013!

Check out the Echo tomorrow!

Does it look good? If so, excellent news.

Does this also include a snow dome or is it just the ice rink? Also is it single or dual pad?

Alun
Does this also include a snow dome or is it just the ice rink? Also is it single or dual pad?

Can anyone tell me what is happening? Do we even have a brick in the ground yet?

I believe it is going through planning... although I can't recall seeing the application for this (I do for the residential element of the scheme).

How frustrating - can't find that story! will it be in the echo tomorrow, does it rather suggest that bayscape is looking increasingly unlikely?

Sorry about the link, something went bad. Quite like the tower in the designs though. In my opinion, rather less anytown than Bayscape

Oh God here we go again - now there were times when this article would've got me pretty excited to say the least - but paul ragans comment sums it up for me...

Cardif Devils chief executive Paul Ragan said: "We are very excited about it - I will be even more excited when I see somebody with a spade in their hands - and we are still on target for it to be ready in time for the start of the 2014 season.

oh and this is the other side of the peninsular to bayscape - so "when the time is right" could be approaching!! damn there's a hint of optimism creeping in there - I'm setting myself up for dissapointment!!

To be honest I couldn't care less about Bayscape. I just wish they would get on and build the ice arena so the Devils are no longer playing in a shed and we have a proper replacement for the old ice rink in town.

Any one else notice that the article contradicts itself?

"It is hoped that work on the arena – which will become the new home of the Cardiff Devils – will begin in June 2013, and be completed by 2017."

BUT

"Cardiff Devils chief executive Paul Ragan said: "We are very excited about it - I will be even more excited when I see somebody with a spade in their hands - and we are still on target for it to be ready in time for the start of the 2014 season."

I think this will happen but 2014 seems unlikely.

imagine if all of greenbank's plans and bayscape did come off, along with prospect place. it certainly would be an eye catching part of the Bay. but the name ISV is crap, so just for fun, what could we rename it...

...merge with the marina in penarth and be called Peninsular or Bay West

Jantra
imagine if all of greenbank's plans and bayscape did come off, along with prospect place. it certainly would be an eye catching part of the Bay. but the name ISV is crap, so just for fun, what could we rename it...

Ye Olde Rubbich Dump?

Red House Quay?

Aberely?

Grangetown-Sur-Mer?

Ash
Jantra

Ye Olde Rubbich Dump?

Red House Quay?

Aberely?

Grangetown-Sur-Mer?

we already have a winner

When I was a kid growing up in Grangetown in the 70s, a day out for us urchins often involved roaming around Ferry Rd, the old waste dump, rail sidings, jetties and annoying an old tramp who lived there called "Soapy" (Don't ask me why he was called that!) Maybe as mark of respect we could rename ISV as "Soapy's Landing"

Looking at the photos on the Walesonline site it looks really good, but I'm kind of getting bored by waiting and seeing a new revision for this site every few years, so I'll get excited when a construction start date is confirmed and there are contractors on site. At the moment I get more excited by seeing progress at the Admiral site because it's at least happening !

Always good to keep the pic for future reference...

so we can see how much it changes between the design and what eventually ever gets built...

a different angle on the new tower:

What the hell is that table tennis net on the top - and half the floors appear to have no windows with that odd wrap with a few holes cut in it.

As you might gather no a fan from what I can see at the moment but then the cynic in me says it will never get built. But I still likr to be proved wrong.

Oh look, another hotel

How many unbuilt hotels in various stages of planning now? Getting on for a dozen, surely?

I don't like any of the towers in the render. I really don't understand what they are trying to achieve with the main tower. It just looks odd.

I suspect that the chances of any of them actually getting built are middling and the chances of them getting built to that scale or that design are slim to zero.

I like the idea of putting together a core of sporting/leisure attractions in one place, I like the idea that there will be a retail/A3 element on the waterfront and I like the idea of creating a dense new neighbourhood with (relatively) innovative and well designed homes.

But I'm very cynical about any of it actually coming to fruition and the renders that we have been fed for the last year or so just look like an architect wet dream. I'd love to see as much activity on the ground as I have in the developers press release department.

Karl
I'd love to see as much activity on the ground as I have in the developers press release department.

if that were the case Cardiff would look like Dubai pre downturn

The Design Commission for Wales have not be particularly positive about the sports/retail/hotel aspect of this site:

PDF file: http://dcfw.org/media/designreviews/262/en/cardiff_isv_waterfront_design_review_report_pub_241012.pdf

In particular they comment on the different levels and access route between the swimming pool and the new development, and the limited access from the north. Indeed they say this could demand a fresh approach to the whole site layout. They don't even bother commenting on the proposed towers because the layout is so problematic in its current form. One of the harshest reviews I've seen from them.

12/01861/DCI | Hybrid Application comprising FULL DETAIL in respect of the demolition of existing temporary ice rink and erection of new Ice Arena and associated temporary car parking provision, access and servicing and OUTLINE WITH CONSIDERATION OF ACCESS ONLY in respect of indoor natural snow ski slope, A1 retail, A3 food and drink, B1 office, C3 residential, C1 hotel, D1 non-residential institution, and D2 assembly and leisure uses, access, parking (including a multi-storey car park), servicing, and landscaping. | LAND AT ISV AND THE CARDIFF ARENA ICE RINK, INTERNATIONAL DRIVE, GRANGETOWN, CARDIFF, CF11 0JL

Will try and post some more details

Any news on the start of this yet? In April they said that work was to start immediately

SP
Any news on the start of this yet? In April they said that work was to start immediately

I always assumed by that they meant work on the project rather than construction itself, so more design work I guess ? It would be nice to know when they are actually going to start though.

I don't think its been granted planning permission yet, so we won't see anything for a while.

RandomComment
I don't think its been granted planning permission yet, so we won't see anything for a while.

I'm sure part of the funding was tied in with the new residential developments dotted around the ISV - now that has all been approved I'd expect to see some more movement on this fairly soon, the devils want to play there in the 2014/15 season!

Didn't know where to post this, so it's here.

Two nice stories on babylon wales at the moment about a bit of local history. First is the role of wales in establishing an icon of the left, now celebrated by our nearest whisky distillery. Second on the relationship between international diplomacy, the old swimming pool the ISV site replaced, and Idi Amin.

http://babylonwales.blogspot.co.uk/

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM