CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Good news for Cardiff Uni

Set to receive "substantial" financial dividends from one of its innovations:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-16512725

Re: Good news for Cardiff Uni

Hypercelt

if proven to be successfull, given the numbers of sufferers and fatalities, this can be good news for a number of reasons:-

ease suffering of victims of hepatits C
improve financial performance of the university allowing it to enhance its research capability longer term as well as improve its student offering
improve Cardiff's reputation of as a top Russell university
open up the university's research teams to a wider pharmaceutical audience

Hypercelt

Sounds like good news - pharma and medical devices would be excellent industries to try to develop in the region.

As an aside, whenever we want to do testing on cadavers we end up going to the states usually and it costs a fortune. The NHS has strict rules on what cadavers can be used for, usually only pure research - not product specific. As health is a devolved issue now, I wonder if the regulations could be relaxed somewhat here, and whether that would encourage these industries.

colour wolf

As an aside, whenever we want to do testing on cadavers we end up going to the states usually and it costs a fortune. The NHS has strict rules on what cadavers can be used for, usually only pure research - not product specific. As health is a devolved issue now, I wonder if the regulations could be relaxed somewhat here, and whether that would encourage these industries.

What an interesting point.

I have relatives who left their bodies to UHW for teaching/research purposes. The hospital was excellent with my family. A session with some of the student medics reading poems they'd written expressing gratitude to the deceased for their gift was incredibly moving.

I'd always assumed that it was the donor rather than the NHS that indicated what their body could be used for. Certainly we as a family would have no qualms about product specific research if it added to medical knowledge.

Ash
colour wolf

What an interesting point.

I have relatives who left their bodies to UHW for teaching/research purposes. The hospital was excellent with my family. A session with some of the student medics reading poems they'd written expressing gratitude to the deceased for their gift was incredibly moving.

I'd always assumed that it was the donor rather than the NHS that indicated what their body could be used for. Certainly we as a family would have no qualms about product specific research if it added to medical knowledge.

The trouble is, the majority of this kind of work doesn't really add to medical knowledge as such. It's.more like can our new device do the procedure as well as the competition,.or do you prefer prototype a or b , that kind of thing. That isn't really allowed currently in the nhs.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM