CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Two really nice write ups...

The Observer has two really nice pieces about Cardiff today.

First a rave review of the Roath Lock studios by its architectural critic. Verdict - stonking.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/mar/25/roath-lock-cardiff-bbc-studios-review

Next a rave review of Spillers Records

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/mar/25/spillers-cardiff-worlds-oldest-record-store?newsfeed=true

There's also the obligatory Cardiff binge drinking piece which I won't bother linking to!

Re: Two really nice write ups...

Agreed - two decent write ups. The BBC studios will divide opinion although the detractors seem to forget that without the facade we would have just a big tin box.

Not sure why St Davids Hotel gets such a kicking though. As a piece of architecture I think it's quite iconic.

Karl
.....without the facade we would have just a big tin box.....

So, the best description would be a tin box with a nice facade?

A Briton

The whole point the article is making is that there is absoutely noting wrong with that! It's saying that the objection to facades is a very peculiar idea that emerged in the late twentieth century and that for much of history architecture has been largely about facades.

I'm not sure I agree entirely but the idea that you can't use the exterior of a building to make a statement or disguise functionality is a bit odd.

The classic examples of 'facade architecture' in Wales are the chapels - grand fronts and plain sides and backs. No one seems to complain about them.

A Briton
Karl

Yes, thats the perfect description. As Ash has said the idea that you can't/shouldn't have a decent facade to a utilitarian building is bizarre.

Karl
A Briton
Karl

Yes, thats the perfect description. As Ash has said the idea that you can't/shouldn't have a decent facade to a utilitarian building is bizarre.

I love the studios, precisely because of the facade, it could just have been a plain old front. They are just studios for filming after all, so we are quite lucky. Now if only Igloo can deliver the other schemes down there in the same way it could be a very interesting part of the city to visit from an architecture point of view.

I think that the Observer sent down a reporter or two to focus on Cardiff over the weekend. I reckon the main reason that they wanted to visit was to attend the first official Doctor Who conference which was housed in the WMC over the weekend. This was rather a big bash by all accounts, and successfully brought in folks from far and wide who had never been here before.

I picked up the Observer yesterday at Coffee Mania in between running the one miler and the three miler for Sport Relief (he sanctimoniously pointed out), and saw a big article on the Dr Who conference covering page 3 then another big article about drinking culture on page 5 and thought '2 articles on Cardiff in the first 5 pages obviously means the Observer are in town'.

The other articles above that Ash has linked only confirm my reasoning.

I jogged past the studios last week (I'm erroneously giving the impression that I'm some kind of jogging maniac) because the swing bridge road has now finally reopened so you can walk/cun/cycle the full loop. I must say that it looks like a coat of varnish/stainer and some exterior paint would make the facade look much better. The wood has faded so drastically that it looks like plastic cladding rather that wood. I'd be interested to know what other forum members think if they get the chance to walk past.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM