CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
City Centre

I may have asked this question a while ago and maybe things have changed. As I was on my way to my office this morning, I wondered where the boundaries to the city centre were?

I think they are City Rd/Newport Rd - Callaghan Sq - North Rd/Column Rd and Westgate pub. Although I'm open about this. My point is that Cardiff centre has always been described as compact. Has this changed? Especially to the south! Have perceptions changed?

Re: City Centre

I'd say to the north the city centre stops at Corbett Rd.

To the south - the north side of CS.

To the east - the CRI. I would include East and West Grove and the Parade in the city centre but not City Rd.

To the west - the river. There is precious little activity west of the Taff that you would consider to be 'city centre'.

I don't think the boundaries have changed much over the years and there is still the psycological barriers of the railway line and the river to break through. I think the focus has shifted but there are still no shops south of Bute Terrace and precious little to cross over Wood St bridge for.

Once CS south side, Capital Quarter and Adam St is developed I think the city centre will have broken through the railway barrier and will feel a lot bigger.

Personally I'd say the railway line is the southern boundary (otherwise I agree). All the new buildings on Bute Terrace kind of reinforce the barrier of the railway line.

If we were talking about the US concept of "downtown" (retail & entertainment) for Cardiff I'd say: South and East are the railway lines, West is the Taff, North is Blvd. de Nantes.

For me:

Northern boundary: The end of Cathays park, so the Welsh Govt building marks the end.

Southern boundary. The Zurich building. Would people really claim that the back of central station, or the Lloyds building isn't the city centre?

Western boundary. The river really, but I'd say the offices to the south of Cathedral Road, are, and would be marketed as city centre, and certainly those offices the 'town' side of the Westgate pub. In fact, walking from Canton I'd say I feel like I'm in town when I cross the Westgate pub

Eastern boundary. The City Road junction on Newport road.

I think it is helpful to think about two definitions of the city centre, one smaller and more compact, and one larger.

The smaller "core" centre is the same as what Mustrum defines as "downtown" (although the American term downtown doesn't really refer to retail and ents, but instead the CBD; uptown is often the term for the main retail and ents area). The core centre basically includes the main retail and nightlife areas, and the surrounding areas. Its what most shoppers will see.

The broader city centre includes Cathays Park, stretches along Newport Road to Longcross Court, goes down Fitzalan Place and Adam Street, and includes Callaghan Square. As development takes place it might extend along Tyndall Street to Capital Quarter, and along Penarth Road to the river. But at the moment these areas (including Lloyds, Fusion Point) are centre fringes in my mind.

The boundaries have not changed much in 40 years. As someone noted the southern boundary used to be the railway line and this is where the boundary is probably starting to change. A railway like a river is a psychological boundary as well as a physical one. It is not an entirely successful breach as yet.

RandomComment
I think it is helpful to think about two definitions of the city centre, one smaller and more compact, and one larger.

The smaller "core" centre is the same as what Mustrum defines as "downtown" (although the American term downtown doesn't really refer to retail and ents, but instead the CBD; uptown is often the term for the main retail and ents area). The core centre basically includes the main retail and nightlife areas, and the surrounding areas. Its what most shoppers will see.

The broader city centre includes Cathays Park, stretches along Newport Road to Longcross Court, goes down Fitzalan Place and Adam Street, and includes Callaghan Square. As development takes place it might extend along Tyndall Street to Capital Quarter, and along Penarth Road to the river. But at the moment these areas (including Lloyds, Fusion Point) are centre fringes in my mind.

I agree with all of that. I think the centre is still very compact. Its not a long walk from say, Westgate pub to Newport Rd/City Rd and I agree that the area with most potential is the southern boundary. That begs the question, will the centre and the bay ever link up? I have my doubts.

I am not sure if this has already been posted, I couldn't find a Callaghan Square thread. From WalesOnline:
" With the current supply of grade A accommodation at an all time low, these requirements will be hard to satisfy unless pre-lets are agreed on new builds. In this regard, we understand that solicitor Hugh James is close to committing to a new building on the southern side of MEPC's Callaghan Square."
This would extend the city centre if the gap is plugged. There would be continuous office blocks from the bottom of St Mary Street to 150 metres down Dumballs Road. We need some A1/A3 development on the south sise of Callaghan Square to cater for these thousands of workers

Mr Appeasement
I am not sure if this has already been posted, I couldn't find a Callaghan Square thread. From WalesOnline:
" With the current supply of grade A accommodation at an all time low, these requirements will be hard to satisfy unless pre-lets are agreed on new builds. In this regard, we understand that solicitor Hugh James is close to committing to a new building on the southern side of MEPC's Callaghan Square."
This would extend the city centre if the gap is plugged. There would be continuous office blocks from the bottom of St Mary Street to 150 metres down Dumballs Road. We need some A1/A3 development on the south sise of Callaghan Square to cater for these thousands of workers

Re-opening the York pub would be a step in that direction.

Absolutely but yet again another at-risk pre-war building going to ruin.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM