CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BBC Wales HQ @ "Cardiff Pointe"

Interesting.

I think you're going to like this.

Re: BBC Wales HQ @ "Cardiff Pointe"

Wow great find owen! and wow2 for hoping this happens! It'll be interesting to find out more on this, did anyone see that coming!!? coz I was always thinking of studios by porth teigr but I really love the idea of the 'sports village' and that peninsular is starting to look potentially very exciting again. Reckon this would be pretty good news for bayscape also. Maybe prospect place will be unmothballed and another 10 storeys added!! As with all proposed Cardiff projects I'll wait for the tower cranes before getting to carried away!! but this is all looking pretty good

Well, we know the BBC is reviewing it's Cardiff property portfolio at the moment and has an option on land next to the Porth Teigr studios. I suspect they may have invited alternative proposals and that this is the result.

I may well be wrong - but I thought broadcasters usually favour large-footprint buildings over towers. This is certainly striking though.

it would be great to have this type of development, i just can't see why the beeb would do it on such prime land, it'd be mad to pay premium there when other areas could offer a better return.

The development is very good, what is it 12-15 floors?It would be a welcome addition to either Porth Teigr or Cardiff Pointe.

In terms of location I think it would suit them to bookend the Bay with two pretty impressive developments and as has been said above if this comes off it will hopefully act as a catalyst for the other bits of the peninsula we are hopeful for.

It's a nice building I agree (very nice), but I don't think the Sports Village site would represent a good location for the BBC. I would think there are 4 sites with a genuine chance.

1) Central Square. Could the BBC take the offices if Legal and General and Hugh James decide to go elsewhere? Very good transport links and very high profile

2) Callaghan Square has the same good transport links and rather more space to play with so is another obvious central choice

3) Cardiff Waterside. Either one of the plots on Pierhead Street or Assembly Square 1 and 2. Close to the Roath Lock studios, Hoddinot Hall and the Assembly.

4) Porth Teigr. Ditto.

The Sports Village doesn't have any advantage as far as I can see. Looks like a shiny video put together by the developers following an invitation to tender.

I see the video has been 'removed by user' so either someone let the cat out of the bag or it was made up!

What was on the video?

Shame that it's been taken down.

I suspect, as RC has said, that it was an open/prospective tender, not a concrete proposal. I hope we'll get more info one way or another soon enough.

Owen
Shame that it's been taken down.

I suspect, as RC has said, that it was an open/prospective tender, not a concrete proposal. I hope we'll get more info one way or another soon enough.

Indeed perhaps not a concrete 'and glass' proposal - and quite a proposition.. looked to be 15ish storeys similar shape to the residential towers but primarily glass externally and nestled in the middle of all the new sports facilities. I hope it makes a re-appearance, as from the brief video it really looked like a class addition to what is already quite a promising area. Mind you until any of it's underway in true cardiffian development fashion I shall contain my enthusiasm (got badly traumatised by that pesky needle y'see!!)

WTF ? What have I missed ?

I don't suppose anyone took any screen shots before the video was taken down ?

Personally, I'd prefer it if they build something at Roath Basin, just to add to the development down there.

Options are:

Capital Waterside
Porth Teigr
Cardiff Point
Capital Quarter

Possible refurb of current site.

I reckon they will go for either Capital Waterside or Porth Teigr, close to the new studios and in an area that fits them. They've got no link to the ISV vision. Porth Teigr would be my preference, keep it all together and create a new 'section' of the bay, with it's own character, to draw attention away from yucky mermaid quay.

The Callaghan Square developers did not offer themselves as an option.

Porth Teigr for me. I don't really see the advantage (for the Beeb) in moving to Cardiff Point and hopefully Cardiff Point will be capable of being delivered as per the snowdome / homes plan without the BBC.

I would have agreed but am swayed by the promotional video that was released and then removed - perhaps that building at porth teigr would be the perfect scenario. I wonder what the timescale of all this is?

My preference would be for Porth Teigr or Cardiff Waterside. For the moment, the latter has the benefit of being considerably closer to shops and restaurants at Mermaid Quay (although I know in the longer term the idea is to have such facilities in Porth Teigr as well).

It would be great if something a bit similar to Salford Quay's Media City could be developed: get ITV on board, along with other media companies and you could probably get a sizeable development of around 200,000-220,000 square feet which is around the same size as Admiral's new headquarters. I think BBC, ITV and the independents would want separate entrances so I don't know how feasible it would be to have one tall building. But I can imagine something like a 11 story building for the BBC, a 3 or 4 story building for ITV and a 5 or 6 story building for independents linked via an Atrium or public space with a cafe, some information points, etc.

I don't think Capital Quarter or Cardiff Pointe should be given any real consideration. There are already coherent plans at the Sports Village and I don't think these add to it economically or functionally. And I don't think its a good location for the BBC, particularly for public transport. Capital Quarter has some locational advantages but its a bit anonymous and corporate for my tastes.

article on possible sites

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business-in-wales/business-news/2012/05/25/bbc-wales-considering-a-shortlist-of-four-sites-in-capital-for-new-hq-91466-31041774/

Me
Options are:

The Callaghan Square developers did not offer themselves as an option.

I'm really curious about that.

Plans already underway for Hugh James and L&G for Callaghan Square South maybe ?

Kyle
Me
Options are: The Callaghan Square developers did not offer themselves as an option.

I'm really curious about that.Plans already underway for Hugh James and L&G for Callaghan Square South maybe ?

I suspect the BBC spec might have insisted on proximity to the PDR. Callaghan Square isn't that far away but it may have been enough to persuade them not to go to the effort of pitching.

Didn't CS lose out on the original BBC studio development?

If so, maybe that's had a bearing - there could have been some feedback that persuaded MEPC that it wasn't worth tendering for the office contract.

My money's on Porth Teigr or Capital Waterside given their proximity to the studios (which has to be a big factor, surely) and to the Assembly and the Bay attractions on the doorstep.

Whichever location they choose, it will be great news for the City as it will either give a much needed shot in the arm to developments which are flagging a bit (CW and Capital Quarter) or help bring forward and cement plans for ones which have only recently been announced (Cardiff Pointe and Porth Teigr).

The best hope for Callaghan Square, if you ask me, is to secure the signing of one or more of Hugh James, Legal & General and Morgan Cole, all of whom have sizeable requirements and are a good fit for that location.

a year and a day since we last discussed this, any news? Are the BBC still making plans, or are they on the back burner?

I know what I've done of course, I've done something that I don't enjoy when other people do it. I've made an old thread pop up and people will see the thread title and think there is exciting news, only to find out there is no exciting news and it is just some boring old toad saying 'anyone heard anything about this recently?'

but, has anyone heard anything about this recently?

This sort of inconsiderate rejuvenation of old threads should be banned, raising our hopes up of exciting plans afoot, only to cruely crush them with your enquiring mind - you could give Paul a heart attack doing this to the glass needle thread.

But no, I have no news on bbc plans to move. Anyone else?

As I understand things an announcement is due in the next couple of months. Cardiff Pointe hasn't made the cut. The choice is between the current site and another site in the Bay. Paul may find himself merging this thread and the "Cardiff Waterside" one!

Did someone mention the glass needle!!! is it back on!!!!!

Actually that BBC Cardiff Pointe looked amazing and would've really been the icing on the cake (assuming that cake gets baked!!) for the Sports Village. I guess I'll put that on my list of dissapointments just under that other one in wood steet!!

Actually on the Wood St subject (but in the wrong place) perhaps we'll hear about those offices in the not to distant?

Ash
As I understand things an announcement is due in the next couple of months. Cardiff Pointe hasn't made the cut. The choice is between the current site and another site in the Bay. Paul may find himself merging this thread and the "Cardiff Waterside" one!

The Cardiff Waterside or Roath Lock sites are my favourite, so I hope this is the case.

Thanks a bunch 'Me'!

I was hoping to read some exciting news, only to find out there is no exciting news and it is just some boring old toad saying 'anyone heard anything about this recently...

shame I missed the video :(

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM