CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
missed buildings

As a counterpoint to the thread on what buildings you'd like to have demolished - what buildings, or things would you rather hadn't been demolished?

Glamorganshire canal?
St Mary's church (fell into ruin in 1700 ish)
Would be nice if one of the old friary's was still intact.
there were supposedly some grand old houses demolished around penylan/plasnewydd when the A48 was constructed.

Or something more recent?

Re: missed buildings

Ninian Park

I'm too young to remember it (of course) but it's an absolute tragedy the Capitol Theatre has gone.

Jantra
Ninian Park

Seriously? That dump?

colour wolf
As a counterpoint to the thread on what buildings you'd like to have demolished - what buildings, or things would you rather hadn't been demolished?

Glamorganshire canal?
there were supposedly some grand old houses demolished around penylan/plasnewydd when the A48 was constructed.

The Terminus Building beeing knocked down was a mistake. It could have been refurbished and intergrated into a redeveloped bus station. I thought it looked really cool.

Maybe its my age, but many new developments look the same and lack character, although I acknowledge such things take time. But it seems to me that we are too willing to accept the mediocre just to see something.

But to answer directly your question. I miss the some of the cinemas like the Plaza and Monico and Crwys Road School. Westgate Street Fire Station, the East side of Dumfries Place the list is endless.

The hoardings surrounding the demolished terminus building are actually being taken down today. Possibly they are going to leave it hope until after the Olympics.

elgdav
The hoardings surrounding the demolished terminus building are actually being taken down today. Possibly they are going to leave it hope until after the Olympics.

the council have no need for stand A (IIRC thats what they call it) as a 'logistics depot' now that St Mary Street works have been completed. Hence the hoardings are coming down and there is going to be some public realm works like trees, pavement and bike stands...

@ColourWolf

NP was a dump NQAT, but it was a place of character. I do like the CCS though, I just wish they'd change those blue seats to red to match our home kit. I blame the blues but thankfully they have left

des - penarth
colour wolf

Glamorganshire canal?

The Terminus Building beeing knocked down was a mistake. It could have been refurbished and intergrated into a redeveloped bus station. I thought it looked really cool.

Maybe its my age, but many new developments look the same and lack character, although I acknowledge such things take time. But it seems to me that we are too willing to accept the mediocre just to see something.

But to answer directly your question. I miss the some of the cinemas like the Plaza and Monico and Crwys Road School. Westgate Street Fire Station, the East side of Dumfries Place the list is endless.

Agree Des but I would also add the Globe on Albany Road, it is the only cinema where the balcony shaked everytime a bus went past.

There was also a church/chapel at the bottom of Clare Road that had the decency to go up in flames during daylight hours and put on a damn good show.

And Greyfriars how was that ruin ever allowed to be demolished when there was not any shortage of sites in Cardiff where they could have built the Pearl Assurance Tower.

Greyfriars is a classic. Didn't they find some ancient Welsh chieftains remains there when they pulled it down?

colour wolf
Greyfriars is a classic. Didn't they find some ancient Welsh chieftains remains there when they pulled it down?

Just looked it up, only llewellyn bren!

colour wolf
colour wolf

and there I was thinking you were talking about tanks

Jantra
colour wolf
colour wolf

and there I was thinking you were talking about tanks

Just Ben reading up about llewellyn, Hugh despencer and Edward II, would make a fantastic film. Despencer is a brilliant baddie.
If Mel Gibson made it as a follow up to braveheart he'd probably put a bloody chieftain tank in it.

Guildford Crescent Baths (where the IBIS hotel now is). It may be my memory playing tricks but I'm sure there was a mens pool, a ladies pool and a mixed pool. Used to love going there.

Karl, Your memory isn't playing tricks and there were 3 pools on that site + a Turkish baths. How they squeezed it all in I cannot figure it out. Hard to believe that along with the Empire Pool it was the only public indoor pools for the city for a long time.

I can quite believe it. I vaguely recall an open air pool in Splott Park, one in Llandaff Fields and one on Rumney Rec. My mother wouldn't let me go to Empire because it was too big and she was worried I'd jump off the top board so I always went to Guildford. They had the changing rooms arranged around the side of the swimming pool as I recall.

I'm not sure but I think the first of the 'modern' indoor pools may have been Splott which was built sometime in the mid to late 70's. It was revolutionary in the sense that the deep 'end' was in the middle !

On the subject of swimming pools and moving further away from the thread topic!... I've read that the lido in Ynysangharad Park in Ponty is to be renovated and re-opened in the next few years.

The stories of both Llywelyn Bren and Ifor Bach should be better known in Cardiff. I'm surprised they're not taught more in Cardiff's Primary Schools. Kids would love them.

I'm avoiding naming obvious buildings like the Capitol, Greyfriars & the Empire Pool. Instead I'm beginning with a couple of city centre Chapels - the original Ebenezer in Paradise Place & Wood Street Congregationalist Church.Pics...

http://www.ebeneser.org/page5.html

http://freestgeorges.blogspot.co.uk/2007/03/john-pugh-x-moody-and-sankey-come-to.html

Both the above survived into the 1970s and were wiped out by the Saint David's Centre and the horrible Southgate House respectively.

The Victorian Cricket Pavilion at Cardiff Arms Park.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/need-to-read/2012/03/05/new-book-celebrates-colourful-history-of-the-iconic-cardiff-arms-park-91466-30460009/

Plus all of these but especially Guildford Crecsent Baths.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/multimedia/history/images/2011/05/02/cardiff-s-vanishing-landmarks-91466-28621224/

On the subject of swimming pools and moving further away from the thread topic!... I've read that the lido in Ynysangharad Park in Ponty is to be renovated and re-opened in the next few years.

It is indeed. All credit to local campaigners and RCT council.

Guildford Crescent Baths, now that is a memory, the happiest month in my school career. Every afternoon for a month a bus ride to the baths learning to swim and gaining a gawdy pink certificate. Anyone else learn to swim there and belly flopping off the board?

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM