CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
If we co host EURO 2020

We will get a new airport terminal & link road

Ive just returned today from a nice 4 day break in one of the Polish co host cities of Wracklow . I did not go for the football just a break . Not a fantastic city like Cardiff in my opinion but a beautiful and big square with a huge fanzone enclosure in the middle. The weather was great, good food and and even better wine & beer

But about my original comment, they had a brand new terminal open in march, looks like Bristol, a big glass box with a new 9km link road to city centre .. The taxi driver told me it was a requirement by UEFA and funded by them, although im not sure if that is true but i know another co host city of Gdansk also had a new airport for the tournament ... Wraclow also got a brand new football ground and an upgraded train station and some new trams

Platinni was quoted this weekend that they may look at splitting the tournament across the continent in future when they allow more teams to enter because it will be cheaper than having to build new grounds, airports and roads in one or two countries

So basically fingers crossesd and the celtic nations of Wales, Ireland and Scotland get the nod to host 2020, decision will be made in February of next year ... and we get a new aiport and link road courtersy of UEFA

Re: If we co host EURO 2020

Don't be daft, UEFA themselves don't pay for the infrastructure improvements. Those kind of improvements might arise as a result of hosting such a tournament, but they would be financed by a combination of state funding and a bit of private enterprise.

This is another example which goes to show how far behind (and falling in comparison with our European peers) we are in Wales on the transport infrastructure front. Relatively poor countries are also generally trouncing us when it comes to new transport infrastructure.

I see transport infrastructure development everywhere I go - except here. It appears that we have no vision or ambition to improve things either

ha i did wonder how uefa had billions of euros to spend ... but we (wales) have put a formal notice of an intention to bid for the tournament so i presume someone somewhere is saying we will spend the necessary money on airports & link roads

Cardiff doesn't really need a new airport, it needs more flights to and from the airport.

I can see the requirement though. For the tournament to proceed, perhaps the terminal would need to go ahead with it's planned improvements, and some kind of commitment to spend something reasonable like £10-15m on improving the road links to the airport.

I think a few hundred metres of extra lanes on the Cardiff-Barry Road, and the removal of a roundabout or two would make quite a difference.

Latest plan is for the tournament to be split across Europe, with no actual host.nation.
Cardiff might get a few matches at some point.
Airport wise.we are only 2 hours from heathrow, I bet some of.the Poland and Ukraine venues are further from a hub of that magnitude.

I think we're looking at access to a European air network as being the objective, rather than a global network a la Heathrow.

For the record, Wroclaw is 320km from both Warsaw and Prague. Cardiff is 220km from Heathrow and 80km from Bristol airport.

I wouldn't be too surprised if many of the roads that have been built in Poland in the past two decades are better than ours. Getting from Wroclaw to Warsaw could well be quicker than Heathrow to Cardiff.

We have to stop making excuses for not investing in our own infrastructure. It is this kind of reasoning which has partly resulted in us being where we are - propping up the bottom end of the transport league table.

If UEFA's idea of spreading the games around is indeed gathering pace then it may be because they are beginning to panic about the relatively few random sets of expressions of interest which have so far been submitted to host 2020:
Georgia/Azerbaijan
Turkey
and that country without any air-links.

According to google maps it'll take nearly 5 1/2 hours to drive the ~210 miles from Wroclaw to Warsaw Airport, that's an hour more than it takes to travel a similar distance to Prague!

http://goo.gl/maps/2wvL

To put it context, the following airports are within 5 hours drive of Cardiff: Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter, Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, East Midlands, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds-Bradford etc.

In fact it takes just 10 mins more to drive from Cardiff to Newcastle-upon-Tyne airport!

Sounds like England would be infinitely better equipped to put in a bid

The civic authorities in Wroclaw could of course have proclaimed that 'International visitors to Wroclaw can arrive here from Katowice airport in less than two hours (or Poznan in 3 hours)' but instead they appear to have invested for the future.

colour wolf
Latest plan is for the tournament to be split across Europe, with no actual host.nation.

It's not an official plan at all, it's just Plattini giving his opinion, which goes a long way of course, but it isn't official in any way.

I just don't believe we'll get the tournament, or if we do they'll drop the hosts getting to qualify automatically thing.

I'm desperate for us to qualify for a tournament. Just one in my lifetime would be a bloody start !

Sorry to be so negative, I just have to wonder about Plattini's statement and if it's because he's got an issue with multiple hosts.

It shouldn't be a problem with the hosts qualifying surely? The competition is increasing to 24 teams for future tournaments. How many football teams are there in Europe? Wales should qualify then

Two airports . Hilarious. What do they think we are - a European capital city with transport links to the outside world?

Uefa 2020 airport criteria could scupper Millennium Stadium plan 

mustrum_ridcully
According to google maps it'll take nearly 5 1/2 hours to drive the ~210 miles from Wroclaw to Warsaw Airport, that's an hour more than it takes to travel a similar distance to Prague!

http://goo.gl/maps/2wvL

To put it context, the following airports are within 5 hours drive of Cardiff: Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter, Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, East Midlands, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds-Bradford etc.

In fact it takes just 10 mins more to drive from Cardiff to Newcastle-upon-Tyne airport!

stop being silly, you'll never make it to Rhoose in 5 1/2 hours

Wizard
Two airports . Hilarious. What do they think we are - a European capital city with transport links to the outside world?

Uefa 2020 airport criteria could scupper Millennium Stadium plan 

Wales' hopes of staging Euro 2020 matches at the Millennium Stadium could be jeopardised because the country has only one airport

does anyone know of this airport the BBC are referring to?

It's RAF Valley isn't it?

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM