CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pic of the day

sorry we're stuck on the post office pic but I'm on hols in florida til the 8th - have a nice day!

Re: pic of the day

today's pic. Cardiff does look quite 'corporate' in that photo. It has quite a downtown american feel to it

paul cardiffwalesmap
sorry we're stuck on the post office pic but I'm on hols in florida til the 8th - have a nice day!

Have a great time paul

Cheers - I did!!

Ohh LMAO better late then never

Where's the picture?

Lordcrow
Where's the picture?

up in the attic somewhere!! still we're all up to date now, the present one was from just last saturday.

Here's a recent image of Cardiff from Penarth, its not perfect as the sun had set and was starting to get dark so I couldn't get a fast enough shutter speed. This resulted in so some parts of the image being out of focus. I'll be back on a sunnier day armed with a tripod.

If you want to view this extra large click here, though be warned its an 7mb file 14,000px × 1,615px.

I guess the build on the far right is the waste centre? It will be quite big based on what that suggests. Obviously visible from where ever you were stood.

I drive past this daily. It is substantial but I thought it was a power station. What water station is being built?

Yes its the controversial food waste incinerator.

Pic of the Day - 6th Feb 2013 - of the Old Library and St Davids Hall.

Now the Olympics are over can we now remove the big telly and the silly fins (put up there only to hide the gubbins spilling out of the back of the telly) from St Davids Hall?

I'm sure the shoppers of Cardiff can survive without watching BBC News 24. If they need a fix desperately they have only to pop on to a Cardiff Bus.

It was an awful mistake pinning something so crass onto one of Cardiff's best buildings from the late 20th century in the first place. The reason given was that it was necessary for us all to be brainwashed by the Olympics as I recall. Now we have basked in the glorious summer of 2012 and are enjoying the enduring legacy that only 12 billion quid can buy can we have our concert hall back?

Wasn't the screen up there long before the Olympics?

Yes, but I think the idea was that Cardiff would be one of the Olympic cities and that the telly would be stuck on St Davids Hall for the rather long build up. That's my recollection anyway. If it wasn't stuck on there for the Olympics what was it stuck on there for?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/southeastwales/hi/tv_and_radio/newsid_7778000/7778033.stm

Fair enough Karl - it was paid for by LOCOG.

today's pic of the day - does look a bit central european, like Dlouha in Prague. I had to think where it was - is it Guildhall place?

Is it down in the Bay?

Under the tallest building in the middle is the Borough Arms - St Mary Street

I agree, it does look and feel very European, I was thinking Florence, or Milan.

I am always amazed at how nice the windows are in Cardiff. One doesnt look up enough. I might start wandering around and take some pictures of them. It's such a shame we have to suffer from such naff plastic signage by the multiples: they make all towns and cities have the same homogenous look.

6th July 2013. The pic of the day is a building with the words 'the mount Stuart' on it. What is it? I assume (maybe incorrectly) its the new weatherspoons. But if so where is it?

Thank you muchly

Jantra
6th July 2013. The pic of the day is a building with the words 'the mount Stuart' on it. What is it? I assume (maybe incorrectly) its the new weatherspoons. But if so where is it?

Thank you muchly

It's In Mermaid Quay. The old Harry Ramsden's building.

Nice photo of the Mount Stuart, . I wish the city had some more green patches and trees decorating our streets.

Simon__200
Jantra

Thank you muchly

It's In Mermaid Quay. The old Harry Ramsden's building.

I'm out with the management this evening down the Bay so i'll have a goosey later on.

I've walked past it a few times and peered in. Looks very nice inside, quite sea sidey and the works on the outside have really improved it. The staff have been in there training for over a week so it should hopefully have a smooth opening. They've also done up the old concrete benches that used to be outside, was kind of hoping for more quality seating than these. The little fountain and pool have been off for some time and the water gardens are looking quite dirty, hopefully when it opens this area will be cleaned up! Shame that the other dock area is only tarmacked, would make a lovely grassy space to sun bathe.

I do hope they don't get the drunkards they seem to foster in Cardiff Centre - those rock bollards are great for vomiting or pissing against.

Baywatcher
I do hope they don't get the drunkards they seem to foster in Cardiff Centre - those rock bollards are great for vomiting or pissing against.

I'm shocked! how do you know!!

Speaking from experience, Baywatcher?

Pic of the Day from Newport!! well that could happen every ten years or so for emergency passport! and when you have a 4hr wait you get to have a good wander around. My wander proved to me how ignorant I have been about our nearest neighbour, (for which I apologise) as Newport has plenty of very nice buildings - mind you many of the nice ones are the old ones. Also it got me wondering about the possibility of a barrage, that's one muddy river and with the tide out it's hard to find it attractive, perhaps a barrage would just mean it was always at high tide and still brown? If it wasn't brown with a barrage then it's a far greater river through the centre than the Taff is and would be very impressive with river traffic and some great bridges. Anyway Admiral are cracking on full speed ahead on the offices by the station and there seemed to be some residential construction by the riverside. I'm not going to leave it so long til my next visit either. Oh and of course they are back in the football league so should enjoy a bit of a boost with larger attendances and more away fans. Some County fans aren't fussed on us Bluebirds but I hope they have a great season!!

Newport has a great city center architecturally wise (much more so than Swansea)and the cities plans would have created a modern thriving city, unfortunately the financial crisis hit Newport worse than Cardiff with many high profile schemes being shelved. Despite the great architecture around the main high street, i doubt you failed to notice the only people there would have been single mums, drunks and people in tracksuits going to the job center. If they build their new shopping and leisure area then hopefully this will displace them for people with more money, who will bring life back to the city center. I always thought why would anyone buy an apartment overlooking the mud flats, there are some really nice developments further south from the city center overlooking the river which would benefit from the Usk being full all the time.

15th sep 2013 pic of the day

We'll always be blue
We'll always be blue
We're Cardiff city
We'll always be blue

Jantra
We'll always be blue
We'll always be blue
We're Cardiff city
We'll always be blue

No no, lucky colour red!

Anyway what is this "blue" you speak of? Saturday's shirts were "Royal"

BLUE ARMY!
Who are we?
BLUE ARMY!

Friday 27th Sept

Nice photo, looks promising.

Pic of the Day today (12/02) asks 'Where in Cardiff?'. I believe it's the Newport Road entrance to Queen's Buildings:

Afraid it's an easy one for me since I go through that door several times a day!

Hi Marbo - yep I guess that would've been pretty easy for you! but nevertheless well done and if you let me have your banking details I'll organise your £10,000 prize money!!
but seriously folks... Reckon I'm gonna have to get up a lot earlier to out fox the viewers of this forum with such challenges! although I'll try

Shooting up (so to speak) in the alley between Helmont House and Landmark Place is my guess for the pic that's up right now.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM