CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chapel, Churchill Way

Here's some photos of the Chapel restaurant and bar which has recently opened on the corner of Churchill Way and Bridge Street. It looks quite nice at night time when it's lit up, will try and get some more pictures for you. A link to the restaurant website is here ... http://chapel1877.com ... and also a link here on the Western Mail website with some info about the history of this building ... http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2012/11/08/city-centre-chapel-to-become-new-bar-and-restaurant/

Re: Chapel, Churchill Way

Glad to see such a stunning building being put back into use.

I tried to go in on Thursday evening - but alas they wouldn't let me because it was by invitation only due to it being opening night. I told them that I was the very kind of person who they should be aiming for and duly caused an incident outside as a conduit for my frustration.

I made that last bit up.

the last bit - you mean you weren't frustrated you just did it for pleasure

That terrace looks like a splendid place for some of the geekier ones here to meet up with a G&T in the spring and watch the Admiral building rise...

Spring tipple in the chapel - summer at the oystercatcher?? just maybe!!

I did exactly the same. The doorman told me that it was packed, and that it was full of old people. I said "that suits me fine, I'm an old codger myself". Though he still wouldn't budge.

In related news, walked passed the Ebeneser chapel and there seems to be a builder's sign outside. Maybe the planned restaurant is on its way?

Called in with my partner on Saturday afternoon. It really is quite impressive. The staff were very friendly and offered us a guided tour. Basically, there's a restaurant (with some lovely booths) on the upper level overlooking the bar area. There is a function room in the basement which they took us to see too. The owners have obviously spent a lot of money and done a good job. Well worth a visit.

SP
In related news, walked passed the Ebeneser chapel and there seems to be a builder's sign outside. Maybe the planned restaurant is on its way?

Sorry, the Papists over the road have bought it as an extension to their Evil Empire.

Eat there last week, very quiet. Staff were not exactly sure what they were supposed to do! Fantastic interior, they have spent a great deal of dosh on it.

Food was interesting!

Top tip, don't have the chicken liver pate, they formed it into balls and deep fried it. I joke not. Had the consistency and smell of cat sick or worse.

I popped in today and the place was virtualy empty - this was at mid-day, though. The restoration is very good. For so much of the internal structure to have survived through two redevelopments is remarkable and while little of the original wooden furniture remains the plentiful use of dark wood for bars, balconies etc reflects the buildings past. Being off the main drag - this place is going to need good word of mouth to succeed - I really hope it does.

I also checked ot a few other recent openings. "Bill's" in Wyndham Arcade was virtualy full at one o'clock. That one's definately working. Pettigrew's Tea Rooms in the Bute Park Lodge was also full. Another winner. I did notice that the Chinese Buffet on St Mary Street has closed - probably a victim of the new larger buffets elsewhere in town.

I saw Tim Rice ( The guy who designed the interiors of Mocka, North Star,

Crystal etc ) gawping at the Chinese Buffet a few weeks ago. Interesting.

Toast
I saw Tim Rice ( The guy who designed the interiors of Mocka, North Star,
Crystal etc ) gawping at the Chinese Buffet a few weeks ago. Interesting.

It will be interesting to see what happens to it. The place I love in that part of town is the Louis. Huge, at least fifty years out of date - and always packed!

What a brilliant business and what a Cardiff institution. Any place that can pack people in by offering "mixed grills" and "jelly and blancmange" deserves respect!

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM