CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cardiff's Population Growth?

Does anyone of the wonderful people on this forum know how fast Cardiff's population is growing?

Re: Cardiff's Population Growth?

From 2001, the population has seen a yearly increase of around 1%. From 2001 to 2011 the population has increased by around 10%.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/index.htm

WOW! How long till we hit one million, I wonder?

at a rate of growth of 1% per year, it will be 100 years before the million mark is hit. however, this is unlikely to happen, as there is only a finite space for cardiff to expand. More likely is for Cardiff to merge with Newport, Penarth and even Caerphilly, thus artificially inflating the population, rather than ever naturally growing to that size.

105 years 6 months 3 days 19 hours 11 minutes 16 seconds

assuming we start at 350k

Jantra
105 years 6 months 3 days 19 hours 11 minutes 16 seconds

assuming we start at 350k

I dread to think how chaotic Cardiff would look as a city if we ever reached a population of 1 million people...

More likely is for Cardiff to merge with ......, Penarth and ......

In the words of Ian Paisley:
Never, Never, NEVER.

Have a look at this:-

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/interactive/vp2-2011-census-comparator/index.html

Cardiff looks like a nice xmas tree, large population 20-25, plenty of room for growth if the lower branches moves up the tree.
Do a comparison with say Merthyr (dumpy snowman!) melting at the bottom and falling to bits at head as well!!

I feel it does have the potential to increase the growth rate by more than 1% providing the economy is boosted by the enterprise zone. We need more inward and international investment to kick start employment and bring skilled labour from other parts of UK.

I also feel intergrating towns and cities like Penarth, Newport, Cerphilly together as a Greater Cardiff City Region can work well to our advantage. But we need to see activity and development taking place alot quicker to see the effect, especially after WAG receiving more than £200m aditional money to help create growth.

Here is how we get to our one million+

Cardiff 350,000
Caerphilly 179,000
Newport 146,000
Penarth 21,000
Barry 50,000
Llantrisant 4,000

Small towns and villages around the region making up the rest

Cardiff student population 42,000
Newport stdent population 8,000

Caerphilly, Penarth, Barry and Llantrisant should become a part of Cardiff. It would, however, be a bitter pill for Newport to swallow

I live in Caerphilly I'd love to be part of Cardiff being so close, but it would need better transport connections engineered to overcome the geological obstacles! At the moment to cycle the couple of miles from Cardiff and Caerphilly involves a choice between the Taff Trail/Nantgarw Cutting or DEATH!

Rod
I live in Caerphilly I'd love to be part of Cardiff being so close, but it would need better transport connections engineered to overcome the geological obstacles! At the moment to cycle the couple of miles from Cardiff and Caerphilly involves a choice between the Taff Trail/Nantgarw Cutting or DEATH!

How about the train?

When I first came here from overseas, I always thought that Penarth was part of Cardiff, silly.

We don't have much room to expand, hence why we need to engulf other places. It sounds a bit unfair, and it is, but we simply can't tell people to stop reproduce/adopt/immigrate/clone themselves.

Wait, scratch that last one...

If you think about it, Cardiff really is built in the wrong place. It is surrounded by steep mountains and hills, which can be built upon, but most people would prefer to live somewhere flat.

Still, better than Mexico City, which is wedged between two active volcanoes...

To quote Newport State of Mind, "... concrete jumble, nothing in order, not far from the border..."

Cardiff is a crowded, badly-planned, glorious mess with its current population, so could our infrastructure really handle it?

Lordcrow

If you think about it, Cardiff really is built in the wrong place.

Yeah, it's in Wales...

but most people would prefer to live somewhere flat.

and somewhere in England.

SP
Caerphilly, Penarth, Barry and Llantrisant should become a part of Cardiff. It would, however, be a bitter pill for Newport to swallow

I have a distinct dislike of empire building and artificially increasing a cities population by take over and it's just that, empire building. My default view is that local authorities all over the UK are already to big. Cardiff, for example, could be divided in to 10 or 12 towns or villages. Not a popular view, I know and in the past, it's been pointed out the economics of such a view. But I don't care, It would be good for democracy.

Sorry Des, but I have knews for you: Politicians tend to care about cost over anything else.

Besides, if we split Cardiff up like a slice of cake, which one would be the capitol?

SP
Rod

How about the train?

I dislike paying to cycle.

I wish they'd extend the pavement on Caerphilly Road from The Travellers Rest to the Caerphilly Mountain Snack Hut, even walking over the mountain is hazardous, which is silly when you consider how close Caerphilly and Cardiff are now! I know there are cross country routes but there's only so much mud I can put up with

des - in the greater cardiff borough of penarth

I have a distinct dislike of empire building and artificially increasing a cities population by take over and it's just that, empire building. My default view is that local authorities all over the UK are already to big. Cardiff, for example, could be divided in to 10 or 12 towns or villages. Not a popular view, I know and in the past, it's been pointed out the economics of such a view. But I don't care, It would be good for democracy.

Llandaf was once a village, the City of Westminster and the City of London were once separate. Growth is just that, we need to expand outwards. Due to the British disdain for living in flats we cannot build upwards like in say Madrid or Milan but outwards and Penarth is in the line of fire

I think there is still some room for Cardiff to grow commfortably towards Newport without reaching it yet. Careful planning could follow the M4 westwards too. Judging by the developement of Cardiff Airport some housing developements could be built there too without to much worry of noise pollution

Well, aren't you a credit to the human race.

Lordcrow
Well, aren't you a credit to the human race.

Was your comment directed to me ?

No Kevin, it was directed to the user named Troll. Sorry if I offended you.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM