CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ignored Projects

Due to the lack of construction activity at the moment in Cardiff I am surprised to see that projects that are currently under way are being completely ignored.

Two that immediately spring to mind are:

1. The new St Teilos School.
2. The new Viridor energy from waste plant.

Both are major projects but I never see them mentioned. Why is this? Are there any others?

Re: Ignored Projects

Not really sure, maybe because they are seen as less interesting for some people I guess. There's plenty of threads on here that people ignore or that attract the same groups of people, but I haven't noticed the two projects you've mentioned in the General Developments sections.

It's the same with housing developments I think, some seem to get discussed on here and others don't, not sure why.

Shminky Binky
Due to the lack of construction activity at the moment in Cardiff I am surprised to see that projects that are currently under way are being completely ignored.

Two that immediately spring to mind are:

1. The new St Teilos School.
2. The new Viridor energy from waste plant.

Both are major projects but I never see them mentioned. Why is this? Are there any others?

heh welcome Shminky!! (have you ever known a forum with such "interesting" names as this one attracts!! ) Got to agree with you about the viridor EFW (yep I've been on the website and know the lingo!! ie Energy From Waste) That's a £200m project - 300 construction jobs, and a bit of a lump to boot!! It was mentioned before on here but it doesn't seem to get the attention a project of that size merits. I know the jury is out in some quarters about this plant but having seen a video about the slough plant, and comparing landfill with what appears to be relatively safe disposing (burning) of our rubbish and generating power for 50,000 homes, well certainly worth our attention me thinks.

checkout the energy from waste vid for a slightly smaller plant than the one we're getting http://www.viridor.co.uk/about-us/viridor-tv/

One other ignored project - the new-build Ysgol Treganna which is on schedule to open in September 2013. It's tucked away on the Sanitorium Road industrial estate at the moment but the nature of that area will change quickly as it becomes the main entrance / exit to the Paper Mill development. I suspect it will be all-residential within a decade.

I can't find any recent pics but here's an early render.

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2011/08/10/canton-welsh-medium-primary-school-plans-unveiled/

It looks a lovely enviroment for primary-age kids - big windows and bright colours.

I know there's a long political history to this but it does seem a bit daft that we've ended up with two three-form entry Welsh-medium schools (Treganna & Pwll Coch) serving the whole of Canton, Riverside, Grangetown & Butetown within a five minute walk of each other.

I'd have thought it would be better to use the new-build to re-locate an English-medium school and then the vacated English-medium building could be used to ensure a better geographical spread of Welish-medium schools.

What do I know? I'm guesing things got too heated and political and the Council did what they could.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM