CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
chains/franchises

Which chain shops, restaurants or bars do you think cardiff is missing?

Some of the obvious ones have come in recent years, with waitrose, john Lewis, those ghastly hollister places, even a vivienne westwood.

What don't we have yet that you would like to see here?

For me I would love someone to open up a franchise of the American steak chain Ruth's Chris steakhouse.
There aren't any in the UK currently, but they do the best steaks I've ever tasted.

Re: chains/franchises

I think we should have a full on Waitrose supermarket and a Patisserie Valerie! See where my thoughts are going ;)

There is a waitrose, up in Pontprennau isn't there?

I would suggest Seven Eleven, but the U.K. has far too many large supermarket chains already.

Gamestop would be nice. But Game already seems to have a monopoly on video games and dvd's in the U.K.

Another one I'd like to see is Hot Topic. I believe that there was a store in London at one point, and I think that they did at one point do U.K. shipping, but they backed out due to legal stuff, though I think that they are now making a re-entry into the European market.

I would like to see a Selfridges in Cardiff. Not really for the shopping, more for the architecture. The one in Birmingham is pretty famous for its design, and I'd like to see something like that in Cardiff. Though I think the John Lewis people wouldn't be pleased if they opened a large department store nearby.

Why have more chains? Shouldn't we start to concentrate and help our local shops?

SP
Why have more chains? Shouldn't we start to concentrate and help our local shops?

Ideally yes, although which independent retailer should cardiff have isn't as easy a topic.

I would go for a Harvey Nick's in the old Habitat shop, Tommy Hilfiguer is a must, American Apareil and yes a Ralph Laurent stand alone shop too! (Possibley all in Capitol to get more people down that end of Queen Street).I would not just limit Calvin Klein to underware either. I think a small Fortnum and Mason's would go down well next to Hotel Chocolate or somewhere in an arcade to increase footfall there. Not sure if there is a Bose shop but if not a yes too.

Kevin

I would go for a Harvey Nick's in the old Habitat shop, Tommy Hilfiguer is a must, American Apareil and yes a Ralph Laurent stand alone shop too! (Possibley all in Capitol to get more people down that end of Queen Street).I would not just limit Calvin Klein to underware either. I think a small Fortnum and Mason's would go down well next to Hotel Chocolate or somewhere in an arcade to increase footfall there. Not sure if there is a Bose shop but if not a yes too.

Having a Tommy Hilfiguer and a Ralph Laurent would be nice. And a Fortnum would definitely improve our image and please all of the yuppies that hang around.

Kevin
Not sure if there is a Bose shop but if not a yes too.

A new Bose store has opened up near the Avenue Retail Park (Homebase, Matalan, M&S Food) on Newport Road. May be a franchise as a Panasonic store has opened at the same address.

bishop84
Kevin
Not sure if there is a Bose shop but if not a yes too.

A new Bose store has opened up near the Avenue Retail Park (Homebase, Matalan, M&S Food) on Newport Road. May be a franchise as a Panasonic store has opened at the same address.

Remember the Bose Store that was going to open up opposite the new Library? It was advertised as opening soon for months, then all of a sudden it ended up as a useless Kath Kitson waste of space. What happened there?

This is all very aspirational, is nobody yearning for an ihop or a.Wendy's?

colour wolf

Practical, yes. But most people would rather have a Ralph Laurent store than a Wendy's any day.

aquascutum, crombie, barbour, thomas pink and a few more tesco's please

Lordcrow
colour wolf

Practical, yes. But most people would rather have a Ralph Laurent store than a Wendy's any day.

Personally I would use a Wendy's far more than a Ralph lauren.

colour wolf

I thought Wendy's closed down their UK operation years ago or have they reopened?

No long since closed. I liked them though.

If we are going retro how about re-launching Wimpy or even Lyon's Tearoom? and shopping never got more exciting than with Brentford Nylons

Jeremy
If we are going retro how about re-launching Wimpy or even Lyon's Tearoom? and shopping never got more exciting than with Brentford Nylons

I think there's a wimpy still in caerphilly town centre - says a lot.

There MUST be room somewhere for more phone shops.......surely!!?

If we're talking shopping wise, I think the city could do with these fashion & clothes stores in St Davids :-

*Pull & Bear
*Bershka
*Fossil
*Uniqlo
*Choice

I think a full range Harvey Nichols or a Beauty Bazar By Harvey Nichols would be perfect for the Habitat unit!

Other stores I think would be great additions to the city are :-

*Diesel
*Banana Republic
*Anthropologie
*Ted Baker
*Barbour
*Ralph Lauren (I think they would have a steal if they opened a stand alone store in the city)

I think any of the above would be well suited on The Hayes, in one if the Arcades or Habitat if it was subdivided

With regards to the clothes shops that all have mentioned I couldn't agree more, maybe once the Hayes and the bottom and centre of Queen Street are full we will see an expansion towards St. Mary's Street, Church Street, High Street, the less let arcades and the bottom of Queen Street/Capitol Centre.

With regards to restaurants and cafés we really do need to support the local businesses. If there were a demand for a patisserie in Cardiff City Centre then a chain would have already come here and for steak look no further than Charlton's in Chippy Lane. Best steak I've ever had at 4 a.m after being on the razz all day. I do think that the city does lack a patisserie or a pasticeria. I'd lean towards the Italian offering more than the French due to the make-up of most of the non Cymry Pur within our society. If I am correct, I believe that Italian heritage is second only to English in non-indigenous Cymry in Wales.

SP
With regards to the clothes shops that all have mentioned I couldn't agree more, maybe once the Hayes and the bottom and centre of Queen Street are full we will see an expansion towards St. Mary's Street, Church Street, High Street, the less let arcades and the bottom of Queen Street/Capitol Centre.

With regards to restaurants and cafés we really do need to support the local businesses. If there were a demand for a patisserie in Cardiff City Centre then a chain would have already come here and for steak look no further than Charlton's in Chippy Lane. Best steak I've ever had at 4 a.m after being on the razz all day. I do think that the city does lack a patisserie or a pasticeria. I'd lean towards the Italian offering more than the French due to the make-up of most of the non Cymry Pur within our society. If I am correct, I believe that Italian heritage is second only to English in non-indigenous Cymry in Wales.

Yep.

SP

Each to their own I suppose, I've been to charlstons and it isn't a patch on a Ruths Chris steak.
It is much more difficult than it should be to get a really good steak in this country.

JW
If we're talking shopping wise, I think the city could do with these fashion & clothes stores in St Davids :-

*Pull & Bear
*Bershka
*Fossil
*Uniqlo
*Choice

I think a full range Harvey Nichols or a Beauty Bazar By Harvey Nichols would be perfect for the Habitat unit!

*Diesel
*Banana Republic
*Anthropologie
*Ted Baker
*Barbour
*Ralph Lauren (I think they would have a steal if they opened a stand alone store in the city)

I think any of the above would be well suited on The Hayes, in one if the Arcades or Habitat if it was subdivided

Some really good ideas there JW. I also think we could see Victoria's Secret in the city some time soon because they are expanding into the UK with stores in Stratford and Trinity Leeds (owned by Land Securities). St Davids would be a perfect opportunity for them. I know there are an awful lot of lingerie shops in Cardiff at the moment, but Baci did close down and I can see La Senza leaving soon meaning room for maybe one more?

What you think?

Kyle
JW

*Pull & Bear
*Bershka
*Fossil
*Uniqlo
*Choice

*Diesel
*Banana Republic
*Anthropologie
*Ted Baker
*Barbour

Some really good ideas there JW. I also think we could see Victoria's Secret in the city some time soon because they are expanding into the UK with stores in Stratford and Trinity Leeds (owned by Land Securities). St Davids would be a perfect opportunity for them. I know there are an awful lot of lingerie shops in Cardiff at the moment, but Baci did close down and I can see La Senza leaving soon meaning room for maybe one more?

What you think?

I think a Victoria's Secret would fit right in if it was in SD2.

Lordcrow

I think a Victoria's Secret would fit right in if it was in SD2.

I'll accept nothing less than Agent Provocateur.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM