CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What do you think Cardiff will be like in 50 years time?

What do the people of the forum think Cardiff will be like in decades time? How do you think our city will change? How big do you think our population will be? Do you think Cardiff will thrive, or continue to stagnate? And which developments do you think will get built, if any?

Personally, I think that Cardiff will change slightly, but will still be recognisable on a street-level. Hopefully, we'll have gotten some new towers, but those probably won't get built till the next economic boom, and none of them would be the next Burj Khalifa.

Our population has been growing for a while now, and I think that it's safe to say that in fifty years time, we'll have hit the 400,000 mark, though I think it would take another fifty years to hit 500,000.

By then, I think that we'd have absorbed Penarth and Bridgend, though not Caerphilly, unless we suddenly blow up the Mountain.

Hopefully, by then we'd also have attracted a couple more big companies to call Cardiff home. Though the cynic in me says that it'll only be Admiral.

Re: What do you think Cardiff will be like in 50 years time?

I agree the population will be between 400-500k and that Penarth/Dinas/Sully will be part of the continuous urban area (Penarth already is). The city will expand east towards newport, north through radyr/tongwynlais area and west beyond pentrebane (lower st fagans). ifyou think the city will get as far as bridgend (20 miles away) I'd suggest hiding the cooking sherry.

the city centre and the bay will be more of a unified area as development takes place south of central square along the dumballs road axis. We'll have a more accountable senedd which will have been split into two chambers and Wales will have some measure of judicial authority to match its legislative capacity (on the back of the UK moving to a federal model). Multi party politics will have taken hold as the Welsh finally disposed of the now universally accepted inept Welsh Labour in the late 2010's and 'Rhodri' has now entered the vernacular as a noun meaning someone lacking intelligence

seriously, we'll have some form of light rail and links to CWL (now an established gateway to Europe given the crippling cost of avgas) are first rate.

Cardiff City have won their 12th consecutive premier league title and have been given the champions league trophy outright due to their unprecedented 10th straight win. The six fingered in bred bin dippers from the quaint fishing village out west now play in the welsh league divison 2 - their natural home.

The Revered Capital of the Glorious Welsh Republic.

No change, except a little grubbier. Oh, and Cardiff City hoping to win promotion from Conference National after plummeting like a stone since their failed bid to get into the Premier League in 2013......and Jantra wandering the streets of Penarth/Cardiff mumbling, "We were so near...so very near....!"

Whatif
No change, except a little grubbier. Oh, and Cardiff City hoping to win promotion from Conference National after plummeting like a stone since their failed bid to get into the Premier League in 2013......and Jantra wandering the streets of Penarth/Cardiff mumbling, "We were so near...so very near....!"

I prefer my version of the future better

Capital of Gweriniaeth Cymru/ The Republic of Wales, and ruler of a substantial protectorate in the west of England, after decades of Osbornomics reduced our eastern neighbour to desperation and penury.

Either that or we'll be living in space or all have flying cars.

Jantra
I agree the population will be between 400-500k and that Penarth/Dinas/Sully will be part of the continuous urban area (Penarth already is). The city will expand east towards newport, north through radyr/tongwynlais area and west beyond pentrebane (lower st fagans). ifyou think the city will get as far as bridgend (20 miles away) I'd suggest hiding the cooking sherry.

the city centre and the bay will be more of a unified area as development takes place south of central square along the dumballs road axis. We'll have a more accountable senedd which will have been split into two chambers and Wales will have some measure of judicial authority to match its legislative capacity (on the back of the UK moving to a federal model). Multi party politics will have taken hold as the Welsh finally disposed of the now universally accepted inept Welsh Labour in the late 2010's and 'Rhodri' has now entered the vernacular as a noun meaning someone lacking intelligence

seriously, we'll have some form of light rail and links to CWL (now an established gateway to Europe given the crippling cost of avgas) are first rate.

Cardiff City have won their 12th consecutive premier league title and have been given the champions league trophy outright due to their unprecedented 10th straight win. The six fingered in bred bin dippers from the quaint fishing village out west now play in the welsh league divison 2 - their natural home.

I actually meant to Dinas and Sully. But as I was about to write it, my girlfriend came in and told me that we had to catch our ride to Brdigend, and I wound up writing it. Sorry.

It would probably take another seventy-one hundred years before that happens.

SP
The Revered Capital of the Glorious Welsh Republic.

God save our gracious Queen, long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen...

Traitor to the Crown...

The Crown has been the biggest traitor to the people of Britain. Glad this isn't the Victorian Age otherwise I'd have been sent to Australia for that.

If Scotland votes to go independent AND becomes a member state of the EU AND the Conservatives gain a majority at the next election AND the superiority complex driven Tory right gain the upper hand which results in a full blown referendum and the severance of our EU ties .... well, depending upon your views, Cardiff will either:

(a) be to Wales what Zurich is to Switzerland,namely a haven for international banks and money men (both legal and illegal - hell who cares because we won't have to answer anymore to those Brussels Sproutocrats) basking in splendid isolation from inferior johnny foreigner over on the continent

(b) become a provincial county with its own sheriff representing part of the 51st state of the USA (to be called New New England)

OR

(c) be an increasingly impoverished and economically irrelevant appendage to a greater England (the term Britain has effectively been rendered meaningless following Scotland's departure - hell, nobody knew where Wales was anyway) which looks wistfully at the success of the RoI and Scotland which are full members of the EU trading block....

I'm going to put some coffee on, get some snacks, take the phone off the hook and await the arrival of Jantra, B.Lee Ding Obvious, Mr Appeasement et al. I reckon this is at least a 3 pager.

Can we keep our own political views out of this section, please?

I only meant for this to be a bit of fun and debating, not for it to turn into Prime Minister's Questions.

I will continue to voice my socio-political views in a free society. None of your Communist nonsense here!!!

I think it'll be just over 400k population, and largely recognisable to the city we all know now.

Apart from all the floating cars.

If they had built the barrage the city would be significantly different , but people will still be talking about it.

Lordcrow
Can we keep our own political views out of this section, please?

I only meant for this to be a bit of fun and debating, not for it to turn into Prime Minister's Questions.

Sorry Sir, just thought that I'd mention the potential impact that a referendum on abandoning EU membership might have in determining how the city develops economically over the next 50 years. It would likely be the single biggest peacetime change to our economy in our lifetime should it happen. It would alter things other than the shape of bananas at the market you know.

under water!!! or protected by a damn big barrage across the severn......

eric
under water!!! or protected by a damn big barrage across the severn......

I actually know a couple who protest against the barrage.

Why?

Not because they think it would be too expensive, time-consuming, or would ruin local animal settlements and migration patterns. But because they don't want the view spoilt.

These are also the people who don't want nuclear power or wind turbines, yet still expect electricity.

Cardiff's growth and the investment on infrastructure and education is all relative.
If its an easy city to get around it will be an attractive place to relocate.
Its a charming city will lots going for it as it stands.
Would like long term planning.

I think by then some form of metro system will be in place, based largely on the electrification of the valleys lines we know about.

But I think this could also have an impact upon the areas inwhich the stops are located, perhaps making some new sub-centres in the city, starting to break down the strong hub-and-spoke nature of the city around the city centre right now.

One key example would be Roath, which i think (or maybe hope...) could develop into more of a leisure area for people outside the area, perhaps a bit of an arty area for the city. The metro idea allows for the establishment of a new station where the Crwys Road bridge crosses the railway line. (Currently this is surrounded by dis-used buildings that could be developed into mixed use residential and shops/leisure on the back of a metro stop). The metro link would allow the Crwys/City/Albany Road area to become a more managable evening destination for people across the city (valleys even). It already has lots of restaurants etc but some are quite grubby. A metro link of this sort could promote an upturn in the areas fortunes. If the valleys circle line concept went ahead then Roath would be on the same line as a big chunk of people across the city and beyond.

Another example of course would be the bay as I'm sure a metro access route would change the flows of people, and businesses in and out of the area. Whether the Bay and the city would be joined up in 50 years, or whether they would exist as two seperate areas (my preference) I'm not sure. But hopefully by then something will be built in between them!

I also wonder if a new stop near the new paper mill site could change the fortunes of that end of cowbridge road, making it more of a destination area. A bit of a Wellfield Road feel near Victoria Park. Somewhere to lunch. I dunno, maybe that is over doing it. I'm sure a metro stop would lead to a bit more residential building around there on some of the old warehouses etc.

A metro system would be so dynamic for the improvement of areas like Crwys /City/ Albany Road.
The likelihood is that ifametro system was introduced to cardiff a zone 2 would soon evolve outside of the city centre and vibrant arty areas would emerge.
The creativity of these areas would allow the city to redefine its image and music, art, food, fashion, dance could flourish.
As would buisness and indeed the metropolitan area

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM