CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cardiff and Snow

Let's face it, we've all seen it.
How has Cardiff been coping with the white stuff?

Not well judging by the chaos and fright.

Re: Cardiff and Snow

Seemed fine to me, lots of people stayed home, traffic was light and the buses were running.

What's not to like?

Yep, people were sensible and worked from home, main roads pretty clear, most buses running in some form or other, shops etc. generally open as usual. Trains were a bit of a mess but that was due to exceptional conditions in the valleys and the odd felled tree. Airport runway closed for a while and then cleared, which is pretty normal. Still don't like the way all the schools close at the drop of a flake, but then I neither teach nor have children so who am I to comment on that one... On the whole though I think a good effort from the authorities and the various transport bods. It tends to be the media which cries 'chaos' by default even in the face of a general public that just tries to get on with things as best they can.

Oh and credit I think is due to Cardiff bus on these occasions - where some companies' instinct is to cancel by default when the snow falls, Cardiff bus always try to run their services, even if some need to be diverted. And their use of Facebook and Twitter for live updates puts certain larger transport companies to shame...

Heard people on national tv talking about disruption at cardiff airport due to the snow. Good publicity for the cardiff I thought, makes it sounds like there are flights to be disrupted.

Hasn't this happened three years in a row? I've noticed that every time it happens, we are slightly more prepared, which shows that our infrastructure is slowly adapting to it.

Most businesses that I saw were open, some, though not all buses were running, and people were carrying on like usual. You never know, if it keeps up, in another twenty years we'll barely even notice it.

I heard that Cardiff Market was selling snow shoes, which doesn't surprise me. Cardiff Market shuts for neither man nor god.

Lordcrow
Hasn't this happened three years in a row? I've noticed that every time it happens, we are slightly more prepared, which shows that our infrastructure is slowly adapting to it.

Most businesses that I saw were open, some, though not all buses were running, and people were carrying on like usual. You never know, if it keeps up, in another twenty years we'll barely even notice it.

I heard that Cardiff Market was selling snow shoes, which doesn't surprise me. Cardiff Market shuts for neither man nor god.

Snow? You have not seen real snow, see the picture below of Canton in 1979 (image 14). Then there was 1963, which I just remember, when the sea froze off Penarth. This years fall was over hyped, but better dealt with than many previous snowfalls as the forcasting was quite accurate.

http://www.cardiffians.co.uk/canton/index.shtml#
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/need-to-read/2013/01/17/amazing-pictures-of-wales-big-freeze-of-1963-91466-32623256/

More sensationalist rubbish from Walesonline I see;

"The forecast for the latest wintry blast has seen a yellow alert - the lowest "be aware" warning - for snow issued for south east Wales, between 3am and midnight on Tuesday."

"Forecasters have warned Wales to brace itself for between 2cm and 5cm more snow during the early hours on Tuesday."

"A Met Office forecaster said: "South Wales can expect to see snow as early as 3am or 4am on Tuesday."

etc, etc.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2013/01/21/snow-and-ice-new-warning-issued-by-met-office-for-wales-91466-32646488/#ixzz2IdBxCjyi

Yet if you go to the Met Office Site, the yellow warning issued this afternoon is for ice not snow in SE Wales. There's no further snow forecast for south east Wales on Tuesday at all, but hey, let's cause panic with an exteremely misleading report shall we?!

Thanks Jeremy

The Conway Road picture is interesting because it shows ,I think ,the magnificent building opposite/ along from the Conway pub, demolished to make way for what must win the vote for the meanest,weakest , miserable ,most depressing building in Cardiff.......those awful "retirement" flats.

Another example,or certainly an illustration of,the legacy of the truly frightening level of destruction wreaked by very stupid, largely uneducated, low grade left wing councillors in the post second world war era which saw , among many many other examples , the destruction of that fine old city of Gloucester.

I accept there has been a recently destructive private sector throw- them -up ( but at least not destructive in the demolition sense) formula in recent years, but that has been largely a market reaction to the fiscal and political framework ruled over by a couple of other left wing lightweight politicians .... Blair and Brown.

I appreciate this is a bit of a ( quite possibly, very)lightweight dip into the subject, but what society is it that delights.....delights...in destroying old buildings built organically?

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM