CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
St Davids Shopping Centre 2013

Any News On Whats Happening In St Davids This Year?

Re: St Davids Shopping Centre 2013

Is Forever 21 opening here or not? Surely they have made their mind up now?

Karl
Is Forever 21 opening here or not? Surely they have made their mind up now?

I believe that they are still sitting on their hands and thinking about it.

The second message in this thread was not posted by me.....

Karl
The second message in this thread was not posted by me.....

Now do you believe me about the troll?

Updated letting plans for St Davids now available:

http://www.capital-shopping-centres.co.uk/files/page/62558/CARDIFF_as_at_11_January_2013.pdf

No exciting new names. A new restaurant on Lower East Side called "Mount Fuji" apparently is confirmed, as is Scrum&Surf where Baci used to be.. any sign of that opening?

In terms of negotiations/solicitors the following:

The "Jeff Bain" unit is in negotiation
The temp HMV is in solicitors hands
The Springfield unit is in negotiation (but has been for months)

Most interesting is that they are now in negotiation for the MSU between Hush Puppies and John Lewis.. wonder who that could be? The "Forever 21" units are still in solicitors hands.

I find it so frustrating that MSU03 is still in solicitors hands after over a year - Any ideas whats happening there? Who could be the possible tenant?

& Its good to see MSU06 has some activity, because its an awfully big unit and I was afraid there would be no interest at all, however I still have no idea who could possibly negotiating? Really, only Forever 21 could fill a unit of that size as far as Cardiff is concerned.

Thank you for posting the updates letting plans RandomComment

I think Fossil are opening next to Mango, there's a planning app knocking about somewhere on the council website.

I missed this!

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_102875

Good spot!

Anon
I find it so frustrating that MSU03 is still in solicitors hands after over a year - Any ideas whats happening there? Who could be the possible tenant?

& Its good to see MSU06 has some activity, because its an awfully big unit and I was afraid there would be no interest at all, however I still have no idea who could possibly negotiating? Really, only Forever 21 could fill a unit of that size as far as Cardiff is concerned.

Thank you for posting the updates letting plans RandomComment

Perhaps the old HMV site on Queen Street?

Not been in the City for a little while. Have HMV closed that store? Last I read was that HMV Canada or HILCO were buying them out and continuing trading with some stores.

Whatif
Not been in the City for a little while. Have HMV closed that store? Last I read was that HMV Canada or HILCO were buying them out and continuing trading with some stores.

Yep, it's gone. I actually think that all of the HMV stores are gone.

I'm sorry - the Queen St HMV store is closed? If so thats news to me. I haven't seen an announcement of store closures by the Administrators yet. Please can people be careful about facts they post..

Apparently Hilco who are buying it do plan to close around half of the stores, but they've not said which ones yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21276913

So yes, the HMV on Queen St is still open. WHY POST SOMETHING UNTRUE????

Its good to see new people on here, but they don't take care like the more long-standing posters. Along with the silly "whos the troll" game, its just getting tedious...

RandomComment

Its good to see new people on here, but they don't take care like the more long-standing posters. Along with the silly "whos the troll" game, its just getting tedious...

RandComment

I am very sorry that I posted it, and it was indeed me who did it, not the troll, who is hopefully off lurking somewhere.

I was told by someone that I thought was quite trustworthy that they were all closed and you proved him wrong.

If I was in Cardiff I would have checked myself, but as I was in St Louis when I posted it - on a ferryboat in front of the Arch nonetheless - I was in no position to check myself. Please forgive me.

Also, posting something entirely in capitals, with four question marks on the end will make anyone sound like a raving, paranoid loon. SEE????

As a long standing poster on here, I am a little pissed off about the decline in quality of discussion, and the less attention that seems to be paid to basic facts and sensible analysis. So I capitalised because I was, in effect, shouting!

I'm also outside of Cardiff so can't check directly, so I rely on people who do post things to be as accurate as possible. I think its good protocol to post something that you're unsure by saying like "I'm not sure but..." or "I think".. etc.

TheLordcrow
RandomComment

RandComment

I am very sorry that I posted it, and it was indeed me who did it, not the troll, who is hopefully off lurking somewhere.

I was told by someone that I thought was quite trustworthy that they were all closed and you proved him wrong.

If I was in Cardiff I would have checked myself, but as I was in St Louis when I posted it - on a ferryboat in front of the Arch nonetheless - I was in no position to check myself. Please forgive me.

Also, posting something entirely in capitals, with four question marks on the end will make anyone sound like a raving, paranoid loon. SEE????

You're a bit of burke aren't you

For apologizing when I was wrong? Would you prefer that I go on the offensive and start ranting?

TheLordcrow
For apologizing when I was wrong? Would you prefer that I go on the offensive and start ranting?

in all fairness to TheLordcrow - he did apologise, and his explanation was very understandable, I'd hate to think this place started to get over petty!! wait there it's always been over petty!!! I guess we're lacking a few quality startups on the development front

It's always been a bit petty on here let's be honest. Dai/Cambo/Random I do feel you are correct, we can do without inaccuracies but I think LordCrow obviously trusted his source and we all make mistakes don't we ?

Talking of that HMV store, how is Queen Street doing in general these days, particularly the eastern and western ends of it ? It seemed pretty busy when I was home at Christmas.

The Hayes was just bloody lovely, really made me miss home it has to be said. I'm really pleased how that street had turned out, it was always my favourite part of the city centre and is just no

TheLordcrow

chill

its the internet. you don't owe anyone and apology but you gave one nonetheless which says a lot about your character. people post nonsense on here all the time. check out the carrots who think that Wales is a rugby loving nation

On St. David's related news, Fossil are taking the temporary HMV unit on the ground floor of the Grand Arcade.

There's also a planning app for signage for Trespass in St. David's Way.

Simon_SW11
On St. David's related news, Fossil are taking the temporary HMV unit on the ground floor of the Grand Arcade.

There's also a planning app for signage for Trespass in St. David's Way.

That's good. It shows that places inside St David's are in high demand.
Though not recognizing either of those brands makes me feel like a fossil myself.

Walked through earlier and David and Goliath has closed down.

SP
Walked through earlier and David and Goliath has closed down.

That brings up the number of free spaces in St Davids to how many now?

How long has BHS been closed down? There's now no BHS in Cardiff other than the household goods and furniture place by Asda in the Bay.

Last time I went to the one in Cardiff Bay Retail Park it looked a little 'run down'. I thought perhaps they were moving everything there but it is so small!? Didn't some on here say they were doing a premises 'swap' with Primark?

Whatif
Last time I went to the one in Cardiff Bay Retail Park it looked a little 'run down'. I thought perhaps they were moving everything there but it is so small!? Didn't some on here say they were doing a premises 'swap' with Primark?

When the closure was announced the owners of BHS (Arcadia?) stated that they may reopen in the city centre depending on the market. As Primark are taking the building it was speculated that BHS may move into their old premises.

It looks like Primark are going to do a major refurbishment of the BHS store before they move in.

I was really shocked when I passed David & Goliath today & noticed it had closed down! I had always known it to be a popular store!

any idea why the David & Goliath store closed? have all their stores closed or is it just cardiff

David and Goliath closed last week, which to be honest isn't much of surprise really! Every time I'm on break in work it's always dead!

Republic has gone into administration - I really hope this doesn't lead to store closures because their St Davids store is a substantial size and it would be sad to see it exit St Davids just as the Grand Arcade begins to look full...

Four shops in a row in the St Davids Way part of the centre have now been plaster boarded up. Either they are due to be fitted out or the centre management are planning on sticking up some posters rather than have empty shop fronts (not unlike the advertising screen on the former Burtons unit in another part of the centre).

Anyone know?

It depends on whether it's a protruding hoarding or if it's tight to the shop front. If it's the latter it's probably for a screen print with some blurb about the centre on it.

The latter. There was no opening for a doorway so presumably this is a tidying up exercise in an effort to make that part of the centre look a little less bereft.

Anyone want to guess how long it'll take to get new tenants, and which tenants they'll be?

its hard to figure out what stores would want St Davids Way units? could only imagine fashion stores such as Burton in this part of the centre and independent / low key/ discount stores!

Looks like ecosway has bit the dust as well. Also the former Baci unit - which was earmarked for an outfit called Scrum and Surf - has been plasterboarded up in a similar fashion to other units suggesting that there are no imminent plans to open.

Did anyone know what eCosway sold? All a bit odd.

I can't find the lettings PDF on the Intu (CSC's new name) website, anyone (i.e. RandomComment) know where it's gone?

I think it was cosmetic stuff but can't really be sure. A very odd shop. Am I right in thinking it's connected to Emperor Tan of Cardiff Redbirds fame?

I say it's closed based on the shutters being down during the middle of the day. It could be the case that the staff couldn't be bothered.....

Karl
I think it was cosmetic stuff but can't really be sure. A very odd shop. Am I right in thinking it's connected to Emperor Tan of Cardiff Redbirds fame?

I say it's closed based on the shutters being down during the middle of the day. It could be the case that the staff couldn't be bothered.....

You are correct. It's part of Chairman Tan's empire. Why Cosway are allowed blue and yello on their logo and City aren't I don't know..

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=ecosway&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42965579,d.d2k&biw=1024&bih=594&wrapid=tlif136189524777710&safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Ut8sUa-0IIXb0QWbsoH4DA

James
Karl

You are correct. It's part of Chairman Tan's empire. Why Cosway are allowed blue and yello on their logo and City aren't I don't know..

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=ecosway&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42965579,d.d2k&biw=1024&bih=594&wrapid=tlif136189524777710&safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Ut8sUa-0IIXb0QWbsoH4DA

That's probably why it's closed James. I expect they will paint the shop red and all will be well.

The Intu website shows the new Primark as opening in Summer 2014. It must be heck of a refurbishment if the store will be closed for 16-18 months!

BHS was a state mind! At the end of the day, if they're making the move let them do a good job and take their time on the store

I noticed on the Intu website that St Davids has the lowest occupancy rate out of all the Intu centres at 92% full

That's surprisingly low for what is basically the premier shopping destination in Cardiff.

I heard that St. David's has a selection process for potential applicants. They old want stores that are of their sort. Can anyone clarify?

Another major factor would probably be cost. How much would it cost to rent a store in the Centre per week/year? I should imagine that they bigger ones go for a couple of hundred-thousand per year.

TheLordcrow
I heard that St. David's has a selection process for potential applicants. They old want stores that are of their sort. Can anyone clarify?

Your right there TheLordCrow - They only process applicants who fit into their criteria. Theres a section map on the internet somewhere and it shows that certain stores can only take specific units in the centre and if the section is fully let, they cant locate the store anywhere!

The centre is literally divided into stores of specific types being grouped together... I'll try and find the map i'm on about now

The Target Letting Plan is found towards the end of the PDF

http://www.landsecurities.com/documentlibrary/St_Davids_Cardiff_tour_Dec_09.pdf

I wonder if the sudden interest in the large MSU next to John Lewis is BHS? There aren't many large units available in town and I imagine SD are desperate to let it so would offer a good deal.

Simon_SW11
I wonder if the sudden interest in the large MSU next to John Lewis is BHS? There aren't many large units available in town and I imagine SD are desperate to let it so would offer a good deal.

Very good train of thought Simon! It would be a better unit for them location wise (right next to John Lewis) and BHS would be perfect for the unit due to its size! I cant imagine any other store needing a MSU that big but its still a smaller store than the Queen Street unit which fulfils BHS's criteria

Victoria's Secret have now signed for their sixth UK store in Sheffield's Meadowhall Centre.

The 6 stores are in Manchester Trafford, Trinity Leeds, Westfield Stratford, London Stanstead Airport, Meadowhall and Bond Street.

With a spree of store openings at the moment, could we see a Victoria's Secret in Cardiff in the near future?

I wouldn't be surprised!

I do hope so. It's such an ordeal to purchase a decent pair of fishnets in Cardiff at the moment.

1 2 3 4
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM