CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Student Castle Accommodation

Does anyone know if phase two have started? On their website it says due for completion in 2013 as phase 1 has been completed back in Sep 2012 I assume it has? I haven't had the chance to check it out.

Re: Student Castle Accommodation

Yes phase 2 has started, there are two cranes on site.

They better be fast if they want to meet their deadline.

I'm not sure they are building what is in that pic above - on the website it shows this...
and I think the height of the crane on site would pretty much confirm this

What!! No way!! What a let down, it look's ugly!! Bloody cardiff at it's mediocrity, why have they downsized to this for now?

Talk about bloody ambition...

Anonymous7egend
What!! No way!! What a let down, it look's ugly!! Bloody cardiff at it's mediocrity, why have they downsized to this for now?

isn't it the same (or similar) image just from a different angle?

Anonymous7egend

Ambition only gets you so far. Now money, that'll get you to the moon and back.

Jantra
Anonymous7egend

No they've lobbed the top off!! reckon you can look at the 1st image go one up from the top of the white, and thats what they're building.

paul - cardiffwalesmap
Jantra
Anonymous7egend

No they've lobbed the top off!! reckon you can look at the 1st image go one up from the top of the white, and thats what they're building.

that'w what I meant really, I did try and qualify it by using the word similar. Still, it will be ok.

I'm not sure taller looks better. We tend to have buildings that can be tall, but still don't look as good as towers in other countries like the US. I reckon its because they are too slim and the finishing tends to be quite poor. Karl alluded to this the other day - two bald men arguing over a comb. WE certainly have towers in the UK but they just don't seem to add bulk and density in the way they do elsewhere.

Jantra
paul - cardiffwalesmap
Jantra
Anonymous7egend

that'w what I meant really, I did try and qualify it by using the word similar. Still, it will be ok.

I'm not sure taller looks better. We tend to have buildings that can be tall, but still don't look as good as towers in other countries like the US. I reckon its because they are too slim and the finishing tends to be quite poor. Karl alluded to this the other day - two bald men arguing over a comb. WE certainly have towers in the UK but they just don't seem to add bulk and density in the way they do elsewhere.

I agree. The US does towers better than any other country, and all of the Chinese and Middle Eastern billionaires are implementing similar ideas in their towers.

On the whole, I don't think the UK, or even Europe does towers that well. We've got some good ones, but the bad-to-good ratio is way off.

Towers are definately better in the States but then they have more of them so its a much better selection. however the street scapes are shit and the cities lifeless around teh towers (with some exceptions). Generally nearly all cities in europe have attractive and active city centers.

I guess the renders are of different versions of the scheme. IIRC they were initally refused planning permission due to the height of the first scheme. After reducing the number of flats, and consquently the height of the buildings, they got planning permission.

P7080104

P7080112

It's a 4 out of ten kind of development. Too bland to elicit any opinion.

At least they didn't chop down that large tree on the corner in front of the building.

The best I can say about it is that there are worse buildings.

Karl
The best I can say about it is that there are worse buildings.

Like the Courts opposite and Rumpoles!

Rumpoles is due to go, and be replaced by something that responds to the student castle. I look forward to seeing it done to see if it works.

lets hope when they redevelop rumpoles they put some ground floor space in the building. As it stands this little corner of Adamsdown is feeling quite devleoped and mid rise yet there is little if anything of note on the streetscape.

I quite like the Courts! They remind me a bit of the Welsh Office building in the scale and shape.

There is a newsagent on the ground floor of the building next to Rumpoles (Adams Court?) and of course there are shops, offices, a synagogue, takeaways and a pub up Moira Terrace as you go towards the CRI. I doubt there will be any ground floor commercial activity on any of these developments therefore.

I have seen the detailed plans for the rumpoles site. It has a rounded corner design which was my least fav bit. It has special security access as it is an expansion of the existing adams court facility that is used to support vulnerable people. I dont remember it having much in the way of additional uses.

The best thing that I can really say is that there are uglier buildings.

TheLordCrow

it's a country mile better than that other student residence about 200 yards away.

I don't HATE them...at least somethings happening down here...and with the Blind Institute looking pretty good, PERHAPS some future demand for redevelopment in the area...
On a side note, any news on the former Vulcan site?...

Jantra
TheLordCrow

it's a country mile better than that other student residence about 200 yards away.

Don't get me started on Ty Pont Hell, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry!

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM