CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Under St Mary Street Bridge...

Does anyone know what these buildings are used for, I've never seen any activity

around them and I've always thought they would be a cool location for a bar,

though they are probably tiny inside. Who owns them?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=st+mary+street+cardiff&hl=en&ll=51.476126,-3.173434&spn=0.002044,0.004128&sll=51.50519,-3.301091&sspn=0.023106,0.082397&t=h&hnear=St.+Mary's+Street&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.476206,-3.1735&panoid=aUaSI9-cGDQfW04Zdd6xKg&cbp=12,10.97,,0,1.52

Re: Under St Mary Street Bridge...

I know that one is used as a dance studio or music recording studio.

I think that's Bute Street and not St. Mary Street. Pre Callaghan Square etc. I remember at least one of them being used as car repair garages ala EastEnders.

I always thought that if that warehouse was re-furbed and a sympathetic extension added there could be a little plaza built with the arches used as cafes/bars etc. A decent building on the east side where the current No Fit State circus HQ is with A3 on the ground floor, maybe a water feature or public art in the middle. This may have made this a funky little area which would have pushed the city centre south of the railway and made CS less sterile.

As it is the warehouse was knocked down and I fully expect this to be a surface car park for the next couple of decades.

I had exactly the same thought - although I was thinking nightclubs in the arches. I have seen similar cafes/restaurants etc under arches in Leeds, Manchester and London but the loss of that warehouse is disappointing.

James
I know that one is used as a dance studio or music recording studio.

A music recording studio under a mainline railway. I will eat my hat....

A number of the arches the otherside of the railway line from the Radisson have music rehearsal spaces in them:

http://www.thecardiffarches.com/

I'm not sure of this but I was told they were built as prop stores for the WNO who's HQ used to be in the building now used by NFS Circus. Talking of which is any work taking place on the Broadway Church that supposed to be the permenant home for NFS?

No idea, but No Fit State are currently pretty much on Callaghan Sq, using the (only remaining?) warehouse space right outside the arches pictures above.

If anything needs knocking down it's that...

Hmmm, will have to keep and eye on them. I wonder why they haven;t changed the

façade. Maybe they aren't allowed.

Ash
I'm not sure of this but I was told they were built as prop stores for the WNO who's HQ used to be in the building now used by NFS Circus. Talking of which is any work taking place on the Broadway Church that supposed to be the permenant home for NFS?

Yup, the church is boarded up, workers onsite and the hoardings have no fit state written in real cool street art style with their sponsors at the end. next time I'm in the area I'll try and get a photo

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM