CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Empire House - Mountstuart Square

I was driving down central link and noticed what appeared to be an extension on top of empire House on Mountstuart Square. I couldn't be sure considering I was driving but it did appear as if an extra floor or two was being added. i've not heard anything about this - does anyone have an information regarding this?

I like Empire House - it is very plush inside (or it was) and I nearly took up office space there many years ago. The lift is a proper old fashioned lift where you pull the iron gate behind you.

edit: answer my own question - I found this

lets hope this turns out well. I really do think it is a crying shame that this piece of Cardiff is in the state it is in. The Square (and this part of butetown in particular) have some wonderful buildings:merchant quarter, the old bank, the coal exchange

Re: Empire House - Mountstuart Square

Yep, got a good view of this from my office. The back wall has been removed completely and a couple of floors added to the top. It's a pretty high building in the context of the area actually, many of the flats should have pretty great views towards town.

DaiB
Yep, got a good view of this from my office. The back wall has been removed completely and a couple of floors added to the top. It's a pretty high building in the context of the area actually, many of the flats should have pretty great views towards town.

sounds good. its a great building both inside and out. they are keeping the original features. It is the tallest building on the square and with the 2 extra floors should be 9 storeys high so other than celestia/watermark, possbily the tallest in the bay

edit: forgot Century Wharf and the other two buildings along the river if they do count as the Bay

Jantra
DaiB

sounds good. its a great building both inside and out. they are keeping the original features. It is the tallest building on the square and with the 2 extra floors should be 9 storeys high so other than celestia/watermark, possbily the tallest in the bay

edit: forgot Century Wharf and the other two buildings along the river if they do count as the Bay

And Horizon soon(ish)

Things are beginning to make sense to me now. I did mention on another thread that this was happening although I never realised that this building was called Empire House. I had thought that the NatWest building was Empire House. This therefore means that the recently refurbished Bute Dock pub is probably going to be the sales office for this development (it says Empire House on the window of the pub!).

I got nervous when I saw the workies stripping out Empire House interior about 6 months ago. Surely there cannot really be anything of any merit on any of the floors other than the entrance hall because the entire back of the building has been exposed to the elements all through the winter. Any nice wordwork would simply have been ruined by the rain wouldn't it?

The entrance hall is very nice indeed. I hope that someone with taste has been involved with this refurbishment. I am very unimpressed by some of the refurbs which have taken place in the foyers of other older buildings nearby where plastic doorframes and shitty carpet tiles have managed to dumb down potentially fine looking entrances. The former Grand Hotel on Westgate St is another bad example.

I'm not familiar with this building but putting two and two together I think there are a few of the apartments on rightmove at the moment.

They had an open house event yesterday and today. It's being marketed by Savilles and I believe Jeffrey Ross or a similar name, there are a number of computer generated images. Personally I think the prices were a little high for the ones without parking.But it does look like a beautiful building and it's nice to see it being preserved for a change!

http://www.jeffreyross.co.uk/propdetails.asp?id=7937&t=sales#.UU3y0LdYCc0

This development is thankfully keeping as many of the original features as possible. Its beautiful and right in the center of mount Stuart square which I've heard will be rejuvenated in the near future.

You can look at the properties for sale at www.empirehousecardiff.co.uk or alternative on twitter @EmpireHouseCard

Unfortunately, it is run by Keylet. They are one of the most horrible student landlords in Cathays. So don't let the 'executive' mark fool you. Ask any students that have rented houses from them. They will all say the same thing. Nobody has a good word to say about them.

As the project manager for the developers I felt it appropriate to give some more information about this exciting new development which comprises of 38 luxury apartments in 11 stunning styles. It’s lovely to see so much interest in the building.

The aim of the developers was to refurbish the Grade II* listed building into 38 luxury apartments with an additional two storey rear and upper extension.

Keen to expose and retain the original features, the developers have sympathetically restored the mahogany panelling and black and white marble flooring to the entrance hall. Extensive refurbishment has also been carried out to the central lift continuing the traditional Neo Georgian feel throughout.

With over 25 years’ experience in the property development industry the developers are a bespoke development company concentrating on up and coming areas within the Cardiff districts with a strong commitment to quality and location.
In contrary to some comments made, all apartments are for sale only. No letting agents have been instructed.

We are excited to announce our open weekend this weekend 31st of August – 1st of September which is to launch our luxury show apartment.

Please feel free to visit our website www.empirehousecardiff.com to sign up for the weekend. We look forward to seeing you all there.

Not Empire House, but a friend has just had a survey done for a flat elsewhere in Mount Stuart Square and it came back with a lot of havering about coal staithes nearby and potential soil contamination due to prior industrial use. It also went on about potential flooding. This seems rather over the top to me, but it's understandably put the wind up the recipient. Can anyone shed any light on this? If it's so terrible there, how come so many other people have managed to get mortgages on flats in the Square?

I would also be wary of the visual impact of seeing the Coal Exchange building being buttressed up across the road (phase 1 work starts the week after next). That will hardly inspire any 'structural confidence' in potential buyers, however misplaced these concerns might be.

Excerpt from CCC recent public memo:

" ....we are now ready to move onto the next step in making the Coal Exchange safe for the future. This means that major work will be commencing to the exterior of the building, provisionally due to start on Monday 9th September.The work will consist of creating deep foundations around the building, which will be used to create a steel structure to support the external walls of the building. Our utmost priority is the safety of the residents and users of Mount Stuart Square as well as the general public; therefore it is vitally important that we undertake this. Unfortunately, while we are doing everything we can to keep the amount of disruption to a minimum, it cannot be completely avoided, so there will be a necessary amount of noise and vibration in the area during this time.

The first phase of the work will be carried out in two key zones of the Coal Exchange. The first zone is around the South East corner of the building, nearest to numbers 9 – 12 Mount Stuart Square. The second zone is around the North Western corner of the building, nearest to the residential blocks of St Stephen’s and St James’ Mansions. We anticipate this first phase to take approximately 3 months." end of memo.

@Wizard

from what you have posted, it would appear as if the Coal Exchange will have an external steel skeleton supporting it. I may have read it incorrectly but if that is the case then shame on Macob

That's also how I have interpreted the memo. It sounds like it will be encased in heavy duty girders.

I anticipate that that once these things are erected, they will be there for 5 to 10 years minimum. They will only come down when a private developer is found - which, let's face it, appears light years away.

On a related note, Macob Exchange Ltd (the subsidiary which previously dealt with the administration of the Exchange appears for some reason to have changed its name to GYG Exchange Ltd).

Now you say it like that its even more depressing

Happily the flat they're looking at faces the park behind rather than the Coal Exchange but it's looking like a lot of disruption for the people on that side of any of the developments.

A new venue called The Bombay Cafe looks set to open imminently in the former Bute Dock Hotel next door to the Empire House marketing suite.

Interestingly the outdoor signage states The Bombay Cafe est.1953 !

Wording on the front of the venue canopies states. Tea, Tiffin,Chai,breakfast.

More news when (if) I get it!

By the way, I think that the conversion of the apartment building looks reasonably good from the outside. Does anyone else think so?

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM