CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Barrage Bus Service

It is suggested that a bus service be introduced from Penarth centre to Cardiff centre via the Barrage. Makes sense in terms of reducing journey times. It's suggested that electric buses be used which is also a good idea. Naturally, there is a winging poster complaining that he doesn't want to see such a service because it would spoil the Barrage. Oh well!!

Re: Barrage Bus Service

Where are you reporting this from? Sounds interesting.

lucky

It's from the Echo

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2013/03/27/transport-group-proposes-new-cardiff-to-penarth-bus-route-across-barrage/

The problem as I see it is that it would take one hell of a bus to get up the steep hills from the barrage to the town centre by the direct route and if it went the long way round past Tesco it would hit the exact traffic problems it's designed to avoid.

Ash
lucky

It's from the Echo

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2013/03/27/transport-group-proposes-new-cardiff-to-penarth-bus-route-across-barrage/

The problem as I see it is that it would take one hell of a bus to get up the steep hills from the barrage to the town centre by the direct route and if it went the long way round past Tesco it would hit the exact traffic problems it's designed to avoid.

what if they were smaller clipper type buses we used to see around Cardiff? I always thought they were better on the smaller less utilised routes.

As I understand it, this would be a 'new' service. In these days of 'Value For money', can we afford to support 'less utilised routes' even with 'smaller clipper type' buses? (I am assuming that this new route would be 'less utilised'?)

Well I for one would prefer it to a boat ride (or longish walk) and then a steep hike up the hill, which is currently the only way to get to Penarth from the Bay unless you want to get a bus into central Cardiff and back out again. But it's going to take a while for most people to see the Bay as a residential area as well as a tourist magnet/entertainment hub.

lucky
Well I for one would prefer it to a boat ride (or longish walk) and then a steep hike up the hill, which is currently the only way to get to Penarth from the Bay unless you want to get a bus into central Cardiff and back out again. But it's going to take a while for most people to see the Bay as a residential area as well as a tourist magnet/entertainment hub.

I think such a service would be popular if maketed right, the main point being a faster journey time. On school days, its not uncommon for traffic to be backed up from the police station to the cross-roads.

I don't know a lot about buses apart from riding in them. Are they so unpowered to make going up a hill impossible?

Ash
lucky

It's from the Echo

Bus no 89 already goes up ( and down) Dock Hill, turns left onto Paget Place, then St Augustine's Crescent and Clive Place - and it's a full size bus.
Plaid Cymru Penarth suggested a rush hour bus service across the barrage back in 2002 (and several times since then), reducing congestion at Baron's Court significantly.

Alwyn

Bus no 89 already goes up ( and down) Dock Hill, turns left onto Paget Place, then St Augustine's Crescent and Clive Place - and it's a full size bus.
Plaid Cymru Penarth suggested a rush hour bus service across the barrage back in 2002 (and several times since then), reducing congestion at Baron's Court significantly.

I hadn't though of that as a possible route. It wasn't Dock Hill that I thought would be difficult for a bus but the steep road up to Stanwell Crescent and Albert road. You need crampons just to walk up it!

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM