CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Cardiff Bay

Carlos
There is a small Georgian terrace on Bute esplanade - I think most of Butetown would have been similar to this type - as this picture shows.

I was always under the impression that most of the housing in Butetown would have been fairly similar to Splott or Adamsdown in terms of appearance?

Actually, I sort of rescind what I said earlier- Stuart St, James St & Bute St would have had some impressive architecture in their time but it looks like most of the area that was cleared and now occupied by the 1970s council estate around Adelaide street and Louisa place would have been less so? Just looks like your standard victorian terraces. That said, for the street layout alone I'd prefer the latter to what we have currently, and some of the terraces on the road parallel to Bute St look quite interesting - similar to what survives along Bute crescent?.

(Large image in link)
http://yourcardiff.mediawales-1.titaninternet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/cardiff-docks.jpg

Pity this didn't survive, it would have really added to the stuart street end of the bay.

Simon_SW17
The Industrial & Maritime Museum building opened in 1977 and was located where Mermaid Quay is now. It was a particularly unattractive building.

http://www.cardiffians.co.uk/images/suburbs/maritime1977_small.jpg

It was unattractive - but that's partly because it was never designed as stand-alone building.

The original plans for the WI&MM involved using the oval basin for floating maritime exhibits and surrounding it with a series of "pavilions of industry" WI&MM as built was designed as one one of those pavilions. The plan foundered and the oval basin was filled in and used to display outdoor exhibits. It never really worked as museum. It would have been more sensible to develop a Beamish-style industrial section of St.Fagans

There are great shots of the original Loudon Square about three minutes into "Tiger Bay".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mz1hCdqf7Q

Jantra
HR62
How long has that restaurant been there?

it's a recent addition. and it also looks to be sensitive to its surroundings. it certainly looks like it fits in. I do like the way the colour scheme defines it to its neighbours

Eh?

Georgie Boy
Jantra
HR62

it's a recent addition. and it also looks to be sensitive to its surroundings. it certainly looks like it fits in. I do like the way the colour scheme defines it to its neighbours

Eh?

I think he's saying they've done a good job with the look of it.

Crazy to think just how much the Bay has changed in the last 20 years or so mind, great to see so many old photos.

HR62
Georgie Boy
Jantra
HR62

Eh?

I think he's saying they've done a good job with the look of it.

Crazy to think just how much the Bay has changed in the last 20 years or so mind, great to see so many old photos.

Errrm ok then, is it open yet?

Ash

There are great shots of the original Loudon Square about three minutes into "Tiger Bay".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mz1hCdqf7Q

a little further in (06:50) the kids are playing on the what is now the Mermaid Quay boardwalk - there are few glimpses of remaining features such HSBC, The Packet and what is now Woods Brasserie ... the shot at 08:22 is roughly correspondent to the sculpture outside Terra Nova - looking down Stuart St at what is now Salt, Costa, etc.

... and the kid telling Gilly to get back to London is local author and tour guide Neil Sinclair

IAFYDS
Carlos
There is a small Georgian terrace on Bute esplanade - I think most of Butetown would have been similar to this type - as this picture shows.

I was always under the impression that most of the housing in Butetown would have been fairly similar to Splott or Adamsdown in terms of appearance?

Actually, I sort of rescind what I said earlier- Stuart St, James St & Bute St would have had some impressive architecture in their time but it looks like most of the area that was cleared and now occupied by the 1970s council estate around Adelaide street and Louisa place would have been less so? Just looks like your standard victorian terraces. That said, for the street layout alone I'd prefer the latter to what we have currently, and some of the terraces on the road parallel to Bute St look quite interesting - similar to what survives along Bute crescent?.

(Large image in link)
http://yourcardiff.mediawales-1.titaninternet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/cardiff-docks.jpg

Pity this didn't survive, it would have really added to the stuart street end of the bay.

I was born in Adelaide St in the late 1950's (my house is just out of shot in the bottom left of that aerial shot) and moved to Christina St in the 'new' estate in the early 70s

It's true that many of those street terraces were quite standard and comparable to parts of Grangetown, Splott, Riverside, etc. but there was actually quite a diverse range of housing dotted around - from lock-keepers cottages to large tenement blocks and more than a few interesting buildings and sites on even the most mundane terraces ... there was literally at least on pub on every street south of James St, traders yards of all descriptions, ad hoc small office buildings and a library in George St similar in style but smaller than the one in Clive St.

I don't know the technical term is but a few of the streets were set in a 'battlefield square format' - with 'common' areas beyond the private back yards

disused rail sheds, rusting cranes, jetties, sea walls - all just of this was everyday street furniture ... and there was a lot of blurring between private property and playground

By my time most of the buildings on the south side of Stuart St had gone and the land was almost entirely a yard for the heavy engineering shed (where Techniquest is today).

Re: New Restaurant in Cardiff Bay

Those who want to know more about the Duchess of Delhi, please feel welcome to try us anytime! www.duchessofdelhi.com

Duchess of Delhi
Cardiff Bay – Europe’s Largest Waterfront –the chosen location of new British Curry Club Restaurant!

This Victorian building was originally a sea captain’s house. Now, top designers and artists from around the globe have helped to create a classic and authentic regal atmosphere, providing a warming surrounding by reflecting on the rich heritage of the Rajas and Mughals of India.
Our aim is to provide a fine-dining experience in a sleek yet inviting and relaxed environment in three different areas.

►► The downstairs Duchess’s Parlour
A fine-dining restaurant & bar with a sleek and elegant surrounding. As well as dining-in, guests are welcome to arrive and relax with only alcoholic drinks or beverages at any time during opening hours.

►► The upstairs Nawab’s Lounge
The ideal place to relax and continue your evening after a meal, or just to enjoy a few drinks with board games. The floored seating area is situated in vibrant and sumptuous surroundings.

►► The upstairs Banquet Mahal
Fine-dining restaurant & Bar with large hand painted wall Mural reflective of the various aspects of the rich Mughal culture

►► The Menu
The Duchess of Delhi is no ordinary 'curry house.' The menu has been created with the ethos of providing authentic cuisine and celebrates the signature delights from various parts of South East Asia. Food of a high quality is imperative when dining out, and with nothing but freshly hand-made dishes, the Duchess of Delhi has this down to a tea. The restaurant provides a whole host of home-made desserts.

Exclusive seasonal menus with recipes provided by top chefs and celebrities. These menus will feature dishes from prestigious individuals such as Michelin-starred chef Michael Caines, author Ivor Peters, and consultant and author Mridula Baljekar, which will be re-created in the Duchess of Delhi kitchen.

►► Our Chief Chef
Chef Sundaramoorthy Krishnasamy, before joining us, had worked in some of Cardiff's top Indian kitchens such as the Mint & Mustard and Purple Papadums as a curry speciality chef. In the last 25 years, he has gained valuable experience in working in some of India’s top hotels & restaurants. His time spent in Singapore, Malaysia and Moscow gave him the considerable wealth of knowledge and experience to create tasteful South Asian cuisine.

Open Everyday
12 Noon till 11.30pm

► Express Day Menu
► Tea, Coffee & Bar all day
► Pre & Post Theatre Menus
► Children's Menu
► Evening a la-carte Menu
► Take-away Service Available
► Private Function Room
► Bollywood Nights
► Curry Club Nights

For Booking or take-aways call 029 2115 3574

Didn't realise you did adverts, Paul!?

LOL

No neither did I!! - Still good luck to them, the place looks great and according to Seb it sounds great!! happy days and happy new year!!

paul - cardiffwalesmap
LOL

No neither did I!! - Still good luck to them, the place looks great and according to Seb it sounds great!! happy days and happy new year!!

Yes I went there last Friday evening to eat - a bit more expensive than your student curry houses but nevertheless excellent value for money ! The starter are excellent and one of the best chicken byrianis I've ever had !

Re: New Restaurant in Mermaid Quay

Went there too having heard about it. Nothing special just a 'run of the mill' Indian Restaurant. Seen better. Seen worse.

There is a new large 'Senedd' sign outside the...erm.... Senedd.

It is grey/white and is set against the slate on the RHS of the lower front elevation. Looks good to be honest.

Helps the folk who visit the Bay to realise what the building is.

One of the things i noticed the other day, been there about a week and it seems as if the section its on was always designed for it, kind of give a use to a piece of the building that always seemed a bit odd to me. It must be good as there are currently two warships in Roath Dock, first time ive seen more than one ship since ive been living in the bay, also pretty weird seeing a ship at the end of the Piazza when leaving the building. I wonder how amny more ships will find their way in! For anyone whos interested heres a video of the last ship leaving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOaHDtt4Gic

1 2
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM