CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New M4 given go ahead

The new M4 has been given the green light from the goverment, it was reported on the bbc radio news this morning

It was said that the new M4 motorway would be paid by the goverment, they were in talks to see what money they will get back from wales, it was suggested that the new M4 motorway will be a toil road

It was also suggested that the £1billion cost of the motorway would help wales in terms of jobs and capital

Sounds great news to me, roll it forward

Re: New M4 given go ahead

here is a link to the BBC article

George Osborne is finally starting to acknowledge his utter failure and resorting to some overdue Keynesian stimulus spending.

Too late for his political career though.

Good for Wales though I suppose, though I have a nasty suspicion a toll road will become a gigantic white elephant.

Lyndon
George Osborne is finally starting to acknowledge his utter failure and resorting to some overdue Keynesian stimulus spending.

this is still government spending - it is not new spend it is existing spend being spent in a different way. There is no guarantee that it will stimulate the economy in the way you hope.

Lyndon
Good for Wales though I suppose, though I have a nasty suspicion a toll road will become a gigantic white elephant.

given the lack of use of the M6 toll you may well be correct, certainly IWJ thinks so too!

BBC

Ieuan Wyn Jones, then deputy first minister and transport minister, said at the time that putting tolls on the "unaffordable" proposed new road would have reduced its economic effectiveness.

Hopefully it won't be a toll road or at least by the time its open the tolls can be scrapped on the Severn bridge so there's no 'double-whammy'!

This is an exercise in doing what should have been done in the first place, building a motorway grade road to the south of Newport, not forcing piecemeal improvements to the Northern Newport Bypass!

Now get on with it before costs go up anymore!!

The article says that the 830m could be repaid by tolls. In other words this is one option.

I think the squeamishness about tolls is because they are so rare in the UK. In France toll roads are everywhere. It's expected that people who use them should have to pay for them. I don't see whats wrong with that in principle. I think driving should be seen as a privilege rather than a right. This is unlikely to happen though. Drivers are too selfish (and I include myself in that). They have an ingrained sense of entitlement. The way in which the proposed congestion charge for Manchester was hugely defeated (despite the carrot of huge infrastructure improvements) illustrates this.

Personally I'd rather pay a couple of quid on a toll road and get to where I want to go quicker than drive on the piece of shit that is the M4 north of Newport.

It would help if the bridge toll was removed or considerably cheaper of course.

Is there any way they could do this with a lower toll that runs over a longer period of time to recoup the money ? Lots of 1 pound charges versus fewer 5 pound charges might be the way to go.

Kyle
Personally I'd rather pay a couple of quid on a toll road and get to where I want to go quicker than drive on the piece of shit that is the M4 north of Newport.

It would help if the bridge toll was removed or considerably cheaper of course.

Is there any way they could do this with a lower toll that runs over a longer period of time to recoup the money ? Lots of 1 pound charges versus fewer 5 pound charges might be the way to go.
seems sensible. when you travel up and down the M6 (as I do regularly) you see the M^ toll is always empty. IIRC it is about £5 for a car to use something like 20 miles of motorway. I can't see many people using that except company salesmen claiming it on expenses.

whilst on the one hand this seems a good idea, it also brings further problems down the line. do we want infrastructure that we have to pay for or do we not want infrastructure?

The SSC tolls run until around 2020 don't they? or is it even longer than that? You could end up with a toll of £10 or so for travelling by car from Bristol to Cardiff. That can't be good for the Severnside economy at all

I don't think I'd want to pay a toll for the convenience of saving roughly (I guess) 10 minutes on a journey (not unless I could claim it as expenses), particularly as most journeys via the relief road would also be using the Severn crossings.

I also would prefer to see the EDR prioritised over the M4 relief road.

Part of the problem with tolls is that the UK seems to have a lot of very old drivers who remember the road fund license (aka road tax) but have forgotten that it was abolished in 1937

Seriously though, if the charge was nominal (say 50p) then people would probably use the toll-road. Trouble is it's more likely to be £3-4 which means people won't use it.

A cheaper solution to the problem might be to build a flyovers over the roundabouts on the A48 SDR in Newport to improve traffic flow and then close several of the Newport junctions on the M4. This would hopefully discourage people living in Newport from using the M4 to get from one part of the city to another - something motorways were not designed for but is encouraged by the number of junctions in Newport (similar sized towns in England would have only 2 or if they were lucky 3 junctions).

one possibility, mentioned on bbc tv, is for the toll on the bridge to remain and fund the newport relief road. so it is kind of a toll road, but the toll is taken in a different place. sounds a funny one.

Not worried about tolls for the time being, just delighted that another massive, much needed infrastructure is going to happen! Next please, Cardiff Metro!

The Welsh Government has just issued a quite strongly worded statement opposing road tolls, so it looks like that option is off the agenda, thank goodness.

mustrum_ridcully
Part of the problem with tolls is that the UK seems to have a lot of very old drivers who remember the road fund license (aka road tax) but have forgotten that it was abolished in 1937

The Miscellaneous Financial Provisions Act, 1955, ceased ''ring fencing' of the Excise Duty for road construction/maintenance. Until that time, I think all drivers referred to it (wrongly) as 'Road Fund Licence' albeit they had good cause to do so as that is what it was used for.

I must admit that it would be better if it was now known as an Excise Licence instead of Vehicle Excise Licence which might just give every driver the wrong impression!

Lyndon
The Welsh Government has just issued a quite strongly worded statement opposing road tolls, so it looks like that option is off the agenda, thank goodness.
obviously that is good but they will have to find the funding from somewhere. reading the BBC article it would appear they will raid the SSC tolls - they are set by the home office so could we see a 'de facto' M4 toll by increasing the SSC toll thus negating the WGs stance?

The SSC is paid off by 2017 and the bridges then revert to the Welsh Government. They could divert some of the tolls to pay for all or part of the new road without necessarily increasing them.

Jantra
Lyndon
obviously that is good but they will have to find the funding from somewhere. reading the BBC article it would appear they will raid the SSC tolls - they are set by the home office so could we see a 'de facto' M4 toll by increasing the SSC toll thus negating the WGs stance?

This was my understanding of the proposal a few years ago. The toll plaza and infrastructure is already there, and people are used to paying it.
Why pay to set up another one.

Hopefully the bridge will be paid off by then and tolls can just stay the same.

That bloody bridge has been paid for many times over already, so I hope any new arrangement is considerably better thought through.

Lyndon
The SSC is paid off by 2017 and the bridges then revert to the Welsh Government. They could divert some of the tolls to pay for all or part of the new road without necessarily increasing them.

Since the motorist is used to paying something to cross that bridge, it would make sense to keep a toll even if it is a lesser amount as the motorist is used to paying it. The funds can the be earmarked to pay for infrastructure development such as the m4 relief

Lyndon

I thought I had read somewhere that 'ownership' of the crossing and the original Severn Bridge will return to the UK government when the project's required revenue, as defined in the Concession Agreement with the Secretary of State for Transport, has been collected?

Whatif

I thought I had read somewhere that 'ownership' of the crossing and the original Severn Bridge will return to the UK government when the project's required revenue, as defined in the Concession Agreement with the Secretary of State for Transport, has been collected?

The original legislation specifies the UK Government, as there was no Welsh Assembly at the time. People are assuming it will be transferred to the Welsh Government as it is Welsh transport infrastructure which is of little use to England.

Even if it stays with the Highways Agency the same principle about diverting tolls could still apply.

mustrum_ridcully
A cheaper solution to the problem might be to build a flyovers over the roundabouts on the A48 SDR in Newport to improve traffic flow and then close several of the Newport junctions on the M4. This would hopefully discourage people living in Newport from using the M4 to get from one part of the city to another - something motorways were not designed for but is encouraged by the number of junctions in Newport (similar sized towns in England would have only 2 or if they were lucky 3 junctions).

That's ridiculous. They've already prevented that by making he Caerleon junction (jct 25) an east bound spur only except for emmergency vehicles - which is a total pain, by the way.

The reason for multiple junctions is because of the multiplr connecting routes.

The A449/A48 at the Cauldra is the end of the South bound HR from the M5-->M50--->A40-->A449

The Malpas junction is the main A4051/A4042 trunk road access to Cwmbran and Pontypool

A48/A467/A468 at Tredegar Park is both access to the south wales valleys and Docks.

It's only High Cross that you could justifiably remove, and that's pretty much a secluded little used exit anyway.

Lyndon
Whatif

The original legislation specifies the UK Government, as there was no Welsh Assembly at the time. People are assuming it will be transferred to the Welsh Government as it is Welsh transport infrastructure which is of little use to England.

Even if it stays with the Highways Agency the same principle about diverting tolls could still apply.

lots of assumptions there.

1 - the Severn Bridge is entirely in England
2 - the SSC is half in England and half in Wales, I can't see Westminster given up potential revenue streams just like that.

mustrum_ridcully

Seriously though, if the charge was nominal (say 50p) then people would probably use the toll-road. Trouble is it's more likely to be £3-4 which means people won't use it.

You could go a step further and remove all the junctions into Newport, and we could all just pretend it never happened.

Whatif
Lyndon

I think, if my memory serves me correctly, the required revenue for the project is £1 billion profit, and that's £1 billion in 1991 terms, so a lot.

That isn't turnover wither that's profit on top of the cost of running and maintaining the bridge - and presumably they decide themselves, how much money to spend on maintaining the bridge? As the £1 billion pounds approaches, I'm sure that they'll find more and more expensive maintenance that they have to do in order to delay giving back their cash cow.

If I was them I'd probably sub contract the actual maintainance to a sister company so they could make a nice profit on that as well.

I think the bridge cost something like £200 million to build, so it has been a very very expensive way of financing it - could be why the WG are reluctant to go down that path again.

According to parliamentary records, the construction cost was £330 million excluding VAT. Seems incredibly cheap given the amount of engineering required to build such a large bridge, and the £300 million they talk about for an eastern bay link... cost inflation in construction must be very great indeed.

Is the route for this confirmed? Do we have a map?

I remember I saw this on a road atlas I bought years ago, I suspect the actual M4 relief road wont be that much different.

Prepare for years of planning enquiries....... and the save our "lesser spotted toad, wild thrush dog, crane billed mud flapper, pikey scrap dealer."

I wonder if they will make any junctions on this new section to the south side of Newport.

Newport could end up with more motorway junctions than most cities in th UK.

The environmentalists just object to everything - they seem to forget that this is just an area of reclaimed marshland (albeit reclaimed by the Romans) - there is nothing there worth saving.

colour wolf
I wonder if they will make any junctions on this new section to the south side of Newport.

Newport could end up with more motorway junctions than most cities in th UK.

I'd like to see it with as few as possible so that all traffic for Newport, Cwmbran and the Valleys north of the city use the old road and traffic headed further west use the new road. It would be one way of evening out the traffic flows. I'd guess some people might have a probem with that though.

I dont undertand how plans for "M4 relief road" can be progressed without full consideration of the impact on the already congested Eastern Ave and prospects for an Eastern Bay Link. We risk just shifting the problem further west?

Also, better rail links from Ebbw Vale to Newportwould alleviate congestion at J27/28, stations at Caerleon, Llanwern etc would also help encourage less local car use (which is the biggest issue impacting the M4 around Newport - too many local journeys).....

We need a coherant regional plan and a bigger role for PT?

M
I dont undertand how plans for "M4 relief road" can be progressed without full consideration of the impact on the already congested Eastern Ave and prospects for an Eastern Bay Link. We risk just shifting the problem further west?

Also, better rail links from Ebbw Vale to Newportwould alleviate congestion at J27/28, stations at Caerleon, Llanwern etc would also help encourage less local car use (which is the biggest issue impacting the M4 around Newport - too many local journeys).....

We need a coherant regional plan and a bigger role for PT?

I use eastern avenue most days and it is rarely a problem

The m4 past Newport is clearly a problem, not addressing it because there might be more traffic elsewhere is a bit short sighted.

Newport gets its own M25 style orbital motorway!

Tell you what would be really nice, if they completed the A4232 between the butetown tunnel and southern way as part of this project

AND

then dualled Lamby way and the coast road and joined this up with the new motorway where they would cross just outside of Newport.

colour wolf
Tell you what would be really nice, if they completed the A4232 between the butetown tunnel and southern way as part of this project

AND

then dualled Lamby way and the coast road and joined this up with the new motorway where they would cross just outside of Newport.

Are there plans in place to complete the 'Cardiff Ring Road'? Would be good to see the road infrastructure improved along with the investment in rail.

In regards to the M4 relief, here's another map of sorts I've come across with the supposed route:

With regard to the Welsh governments stance on tolls - If they do not put new tolls on it or use severn bridge tolls as has been suggested here - this might score political points but would probably kick any more infrastructure spending into the distant future. I would much prefer a toll on the road and have more money to spend on the completion of the A4232 and a Cardiff metro in my lifetime.

Furthermore - and while I am very happy to hear the plans for the road - how much are we spending on the magor/llanwern bypass thingy that will now no longer be needed? Isnt it typical of governments to procrastinate for years then give the go ahead to 2 schemes.

Why not toll all roads in Wales and be done with it. Put up a big sign over the Second Severn Crossing, "£4.00 per mile from this point!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-23072239

Hoorah, though wish we weren't having yet another consultation!! Just get it built!!

On 26 June 2013, Edwina Hart AM CStJ MBE, Minister for Economy, Science and Transport, published the following written statement:

“Addressing the capacity and resilience issues on the M4 around Newport is the top transport challenge that we face in ensuring that Wales has an effective economic infrastructure which improves our competitiveness and access to jobs and services.

Following Cabinet discussions earlier this week, I am therefore pleased to announce the next steps in relation to the M4 corridor in south east Wales.

As a result of ongoing discussions with the UK Government there has been a significant change in the assessment of the affordability of a major enhancement of the M4.

Building on the extensive development and consultation work undertaken on M4 Corridor Enhancement Measures (CEM), we will be consulting formally over the summer with Natural Resources Wales in order to go out to public consultation this September with a finalised draft Plan and Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) Report.

If implemented, the draft plan would lead to a motorway being built south of Newport.”

Details of when the Public Consultation will begin will be released by Welsh Government in due course and will be published on the M4 CEM website at www.m4cem.com and on the Welsh Government website at www.wales.gov.uk/transport.

Please note that on both websites you can also find copies of the recently published:

• M4 CEM WelTAG Appraisal Report Stage 1 (Strategy Level); and
• M4 Corridor around Newport WelTAG Appraisal Report Stage 1 (Strategy Level).

Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact m4cem@arup.com.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM