CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
St Edeyrn's Village, East of Pontprennau

The first step on Cardiff's LDP to build 45,400 new homes in the city by 2026.

13/00578/DCO
NEW COMMUNITY COMPRISING TO 1020 NEW HOMES, VILLAGE CENTRE (COMPRISING RETAIL, EMPLOYMENT AND COMMUNITY USES), PLAY AREAS AND ALLOTMENTS; 2 FORM ENTRY PRIMARY SCHOOL, RIVERSIDE PARK INCLUDING EXTENSION AND IMPROVEMENTS TO RHYMNEY TRAIL. ALL WITH ASSOCIATED LANDSCAPING, LAND RE-PROFILING, ACCESS (VEHICULAR, CYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN) AND HIGHWAY WORKS | LAND EAST OF CHURCH ROAD AND NORTH AND SOUTH OF BRIDGE ROAD, PONTPRENNAU, CARDIFF

With over 1,000 homes, a primary school, shops and new park area I felt this "little" development deserved its own thread.

Re: St Edeyrn's Village, East of Pontprennau

murfilicious
The first step on Cardiff's LDP to build 45,400 new homes in the city by 2026.

13/00578/DCO
NEW COMMUNITY COMPRISING TO 1020 NEW HOMES, VILLAGE CENTRE (COMPRISING RETAIL, EMPLOYMENT AND COMMUNITY USES), PLAY AREAS AND ALLOTMENTS; 2 FORM ENTRY PRIMARY SCHOOL, RIVERSIDE PARK INCLUDING EXTENSION AND IMPROVEMENTS TO RHYMNEY TRAIL. ALL WITH ASSOCIATED LANDSCAPING, LAND RE-PROFILING, ACCESS (VEHICULAR, CYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN) AND HIGHWAY WORKS | LAND EAST OF CHURCH ROAD AND NORTH AND SOUTH OF BRIDGE ROAD, PONTPRENNAU, CARDIFF

With over 1,000 homes, a primary school, shops and new park area I felt this "little" development deserved its own thread.

any links?

Got there in the end, it is not the most user friendly of websites.

Looks quite a good development.

If you're going to build 45,000 homes it is one of the sites that needs developing. However there are better locations, I can only think they're starting here because it's the least controversial.

There are three major areas for the urban expansions:

- Waterhall (West of Fairwater)
- North East Cardiff (between Pontprennau and Lisvane)
- St Ederyn's (east of Pontprennau).

I think the NE Cardiff one will take longer to get going as ownership of land is fragmented, and serious issues about how to access the area exist (i.e. funelling traffic towards the East could overwhelm the A4232, but funelling it to the South and West would mean lots of traffic via Cyncoed or through Lisvane which would be exremely unpopular).

Waterhall is owned by one landowner (the Plymouth Estates?) I think which should make things easier and they've been planning it for years. However, I think there is a lot of opposition from people in Radyr, Fairwater etc. Access may again be an issue, although there is scope for public transport access in the medium to long term.

St Ederyn's is the smallest site, and is probably the least controversial. Although the people of Old St Mellon's could kick up a fuss about spoiled views and the loss of access (at the moment they can access the M4 pretty easily via Llanederyn village and the A4232 but this route will be stopped up), I get the impression the people of Pontprennau and Llanrumney will be fairly acquiescent. I don't think its a bad site, mind. Although it probably be the most "car dependent" of the various sites. Bus access is planned but I imagine that the number of routes and frequency will be quite limited given it isn't really on a through route anyway. Even the North East Cardiff site could be on routes that currently go to Lisvane, Cyncoed or Pontprennau..

The masterplan looks fine to me, although having one vehicular access to the whole site (as far as I could see, off the link road roundabout) might make it a bit insular. Though I understand the reason for wanting to avoid 'rat-runs'.

I like the retention of this historic buildings and their settings, the creation of the riverside area, the general development concepts and the village ethos (even if a bit of sales bluff, a village centre and community orchard / allotments / playing fields seems sensible).

Admittedly, I don't know the area particularly well however, but I have driven around there fairly recently.

It sounds like a nicely thought out area. It's own little village but only 10 mins from town by car.
As I work in st mellons I would consider going there myself although I would have concerns about secondary school catchments (and whether a primary school would actually get built - see pontprennau)

Much of pontprennau is now llanishen, and isn't llanedeyrn going to go to cardiff high, this seems a bit far from either of those though.

St Teilo's is going where Llanedeyrn was and there is a new Welsh medium school going where St Teilo's used to be on Llanedeyrn Rd. I think these are both closer but of course if you aren't Church in Wales or want your kids to be educated in Welsh that could be a problem. I suppose Corpus Christi would also be closer for catholics?

As for the development it looks quite good although the language used is the typical corporate bullshit. At this stage there is no indication as to the design of the houses or the density. They refer to area's being higher density and lower density but that could mean anything. They reference housing styles in Llanishen, Rhiwbina Garden Village, Heath, Old St Mellons etc but there is a fair possibility that they will throw up some faux Georgian crap regardless. I like the idea of there being a recognised centre - that's the thing that irritates me most about Pontprennau. I also think the fact that they appear to be working around existing buildings will be of benefit rather than having a completely blank canvas. The riverside park looks good as well.

I'm not sure about the one road in one road out approach to connectivity. That isn't really conducive to a decent public transport system.

It's a bit sad that the original Llanederyn is having to surrender its name. It's inevitable I suppose - you can't have two places with the same name seperated by two other suburbs!

Can't they come up with something better than "St Edeyrn's Village" though? It's horribly twee and English. Maybe they could use Penygroes - the name of the local chapel?

Ash
It's a bit sad that the original Llanederyn is having to surrender its name. It's inevitable I suppose - you can't have two places with the same name seperated by two other suburbs!

Can't they come up with something better than "St Edeyrn's Village" though? It's horribly twee and English. Maybe they could use Penygroes - the name of the local chapel?

Cardiff is a largely English-speaking city nowadays. Look at some of the names around Lisvane, cringeworthy to my mind. Excalibur Drive etc. St Edeyrn's Village seems fine to me, although 'Village' seems a bit of a cop-out when we're talking about suburban expansion.

Frank
Cardiff is a largely English-speaking city nowadays. Look at some of the names around Lisvane, cringeworthy to my mind. Excalibur Drive etc. St Edeyrn's Village seems fine to me, although 'Village' seems a bit of a cop-out when we're talking about suburban expansion.

I think it's the "village" bit I really dislike. It's very twee.

Cardiff may be largely English speaking these days but Llanedyrn parish was majority Welsh speaking in the 1901 census. History is important and we should respect it - but I agree that Saint Edeyrn's is far better than some other names we've seen!

Message for the BBC et al. It is spelt Llanedeyrn and not Llanederyn

And while where at it Pentwyn is Pentwyn not Pentwin!

Anyone know what the latest news is on Persimmon's St Ederyn's Village?

S James
Anyone know what the latest news is on Persimmon's St Ederyn's Village?

Last I heard there was a planning application submitted just before Christmas for the access road off the A4232 Penwtyn Link Road and closing of the Bridge Road rat-run (13/02646/DCO) - I think this is fairly key to the whole scheme kicking off.

It went before planning committee in March 2014 but I can't find if it was approved or a start on site date

There was this from mid March in the press.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/councillor-calls-proper-procedures-followed-6802838

So I think it's going to be a while yet !

The planning side of things has been a bit quiet lately, all the various bank holidays must mean they grind to a halt at the council. The last set of decisions published online was at the end of March and the last weekly applications was 10th April.

The end of the tax year may also have something to do with it - work tends to get pushed through towards the end of the tax year but then it tends to be a bit slow to start up again in the new tax year (probably owing to all the bank holidays etc. as you say).

Frank
Ash

Excalibur drive is Thornhill not lisvane nqat

Colour Wolf
Frank
Ash

Isn't it kind of in both, where one place starts and the other ends?

Kyle
Colour Wolf
Frank
Ash

Isn't it kind of in both, where one place starts and the other ends?

Nope. Excalibur Drive is Thornhill.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM