CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Platini says Cardiff isn't up to staging Euro 2020 games

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22239338

So FA Cup finals, Rugby World Cup games, 6 Nations deciders etc are meaningless?
Is a group game at Euro 2020 really that much harder to pull off than the things Cardiff does on a regular basis?

Re: Platini says Cardiff isn't up to staging Euro 2020 games

How many hotel rooms to they need? I presume what they really mean are 5 star hotel rooms for the bureaucrats.

Platini is a complete w**ker!!

Simon_SW11
Platini is a complete w**ker!!

Trouble is, he's a w**ker with some 'clout' in this situation!

I was just trying to puzzle this out. One thing about the other large sporting events that the city has held is that the vast majority of visitors were probably from the UK: the Ashes, the Rugby World Cup, FA cup, Ryder Cup (kinda). So perhaps many of these travelled for the day and hotel accomodation was not an issue. Would this be the case for a Euro qualifying match? Or would the city have to cope with 50,000 people trying to find hotel accomodation?

Thing is, if thats the case.. I think anywhere outside London would struggle in the UK.. even places like Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, wouldn't have capacity for that many thousands.. although they do have better airports.

Its tricky to know...

I listened to the Platini interview on BBC Wales football show this evening, and while they didn't play the whole interview, he seemed to be referencing a Champions League final more than Euro 2020.

It's perhaps a valid point that Cardiff couldn't host a champions league final (although I personally think it could with moderate investment) but Cardiff is certainly capable of hosting some group games in Euro2020

In terms of accessibility, infrastructure, hotel rooms and size, I'm sure Cardiff compares equally or favourably in many ways than other recent European championship host cities such as Lviv in Ukrain Gdansk and Wroclaw in Poland, Klagenfurt in Austria (population 90,000!!) and Guimaraes and Leiria in Portugal.

Nonetheless, hopefully this will encourage the FA, the WRU,the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Council and the WG to work together and sort the issues out.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM