CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Habitat Unit

I have noticed today that the old Habitat unit is under offer any idea whos taking it on?

Re: Old Habitat Unit

Harvey Nichols Beauty Bazaar have been looking at Cardiff but don't know if it's them. Think the closure of La Fosse may be connected with the letting though.

Simon_SW11
Harvey Nichols Beauty Bazaar have been looking at Cardiff but don't know if it's them. Think the closure of La Fosse may be connected with the letting though.

Would be the right size for a boutique Harvey nicks or a John anthony. Let's get the Hayes being the shopping street outside of London :)

Tos a shame flannels is on Churchill way. People often forget about that when talking about shopping in Cardiff

Jantra
Simon_SW11

Would be the right size for a boutique Harvey nicks or a John anthony. Let's get the Hayes being the shopping street outside of London :)

Tos a shame flannels is on Churchill way. People often forget about that when talking about shopping in Cardiff

I forget that's there, now there's a candidate for moving to the Hayes if ever there was one.

Fingers crossed for a decent tenant for the Habitat building though, if it's Harvey Nichols then it would be brilliant.

Are La Fosse moving to somewhere else then or have they just closed completely ?

Gaz
I have noticed today that the old Habitat unit is under offer any idea whos taking it on?

Groan... do I sense another Poundland?

murfilicious
Groan... do I sense another Poundland?

I doubt it. Poundland generally go for secondary locations. SD2 has clearly flipped the status (and rents) of Queen Street and The Hayes. The central part of Queen Streen seems to be doing ok but both the western and eastern portions are struggling.

Walked past the old Habitat unit today and there is an alcohol licence application for Miller & Carter. It's not clear if it's for the whole building or just part. I thought it would have made more sense to take over La Fosse but it doesn't seem as though this is the case. Does anyone know anything else on this??

Its subject to an application for conversion to 2 or 3 catering units - there is apparently a lot of demand here, but virtually zero on the retail side. What retailer demand there is in Cardiff is being hoovered up by the remaining SD units and churn on Queen St, where space is often laid out in ways better suited to retailers.

It'll be nice to have a more active frontage here anyway to create more of a civic square atmosphere. There's plenty of space for outside seating areas, particularly along Hills Street

Walked passed today, there is license request on the door from Miller & Carter.

Wonder who they are.

Frank,

You need to go on a intensive Google course!

Copy "Miller & Carter" put it in to Google* and hey presto!

http://www.millerandcarter.co.uk/millerandcartercardiff/
Steak Resrurant chain, they have one in Cardiff bay, near Future Inns (hotel)

*other search engines are available.

Is this the full unit? Or do we suspect it will be split up as part of this? It seems a big unit (with the upstairs as well) for just one steak house.

Am I missing something here? This was posted a month ago (thought Frank's comment was sarcasm)

I'd steak my reputation on it being a wind up ....... coat!

Jantra

I heard that the restaurant chain is part owned by former 70's Wonderwoman actress Lynda Carter. Does anyone know if this is true....

Glad to see Miller and Carter appear in the city centre,
Steak houses in town are pretty rare

murfilicious

They're quite popular, I'm sure they'll manage to fillet

(although I would much prefer a ruth's chris instead)

Colour Wolf
murfilicious

They're quite popular, I'm sure they'll manage to fillet

(although I would much prefer a ruth's chris instead)

I hope the food will be as good a quality as the bay restaurant, otherwise their reputation will be at steak

If it's successful it could become quite the meating place.

No one's made that pun yet have they?

Me

No but you ruined it.

Me

Not yet, very well done

Any fish Restaurants in Cardiff?

Don't talk Pollocks mun.

Rhodesia
Don't talk Pollocks mun.

There is a time and a plaice for criticism and this isn't it

Jantra
Rhodesia
Don't talk Pollocks mun.

There is a time and a plaice for criticism and this isn't it

you've cod to be joking me.

zach
Any fish Restaurants in Cardiff?

I do remember a decidedly 'fishy story' which was initiated by that old shark Random Comment on this forum (see page 1 of the City Centre retail thread -link below) back in 2010 about a fish restaurant being planned on the top floor of Waterstones book shop in the Hayes.

A fishy story *

Whatever happened to that catch? I swallowed that story hook line and sinker. OK I'll stop the puns now.

*A CWM link within a CWM thread - that's an innovative CWM first methinks!

The indications are that the developers want to start work on converting the Habitat building into separate restaurant units in early January. We know that Miller and Carter have made an application for one of the units. I suspect that given the magnitude of the likely rents that the other units will only attract national operators, would be nice to see Raymond Blanc resurrect an interest in opening up in Cardiff.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM