CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Re: Cardiff Metro/Subway

Lyndon
It's taking a long time because there isn't any money.

And that's because Jantra's thrusting, entrepreneurial heroes in the private sector banking industry lost or stole it all.

You can't lose what you have never had. You don't really understand money and banking do you?

It might be me being stupid as usual but for me the first step isn't the 18 million being spent on the bay to city centre link. It's already happening and has been happening for years surely ?

All the new stations and new lines opened in the last few years, all the improvements to stations that have been recently completed or that are under way with the current valley lines network are a part of the metro network.

Sure there's lots and lots to do such as electrification, integrating the bus network properly, further new stations, new lines and potentially some new types of service (tram, light rail etc.), but the metro is there, just under a different name with lots of improvements to come.

I'd like to know what the plans are for an overarching authority for the system, likewise what plans there are for rebranding services. I'd like to see what has been mentioned above, a TfL type authority running the whole bus network and rail network in the area. I guess there are a lot of commercial dicussions to be had with the many private and local authority run operators of bus services as well as Arriva Trains Wales, but it would be good for the image of the whole system to have a single identity.

I hate these 'infomercials' run by the WME. They just seem to regurgitate press releases verbatim and there is very rarely any context.

The bald assertion that it will take up to 6 years to take down the embankment on Bute Street and then lay tracks for some sort of train/tram is very disappointing out of context. But what needs to happen beforehand to allow that development take place? Does electrification have to be complete and if so is that electrification to Cardiff or all the valley lines? Is there a rolling programme of improvement that needs to take place before any work can be considered. Do the capacity improvements at Central and Queen street have to be finished, will it necessitate the removal of Herbert Street bridge, what will cost 44m in Callaghan Square etc etc.

Most on this forum will have the werewithal to find most of the above out for themselves but then again we are the type of characters who can have a full blown row over what constitutes the boundaries of Rochdale on a thread about Bristol on a forum devoted to Cardiff, so I'd say we are not indicative of the general public.

For 'normal' people a story about it taking 6 years and umpteen millions to update a railway line between town and the Bay when a perfectly serviceable line exists already just invites derision when that story offers no context. I think its important to build a consensus about the proposed Metro as it will cost a lot of money and will entail significant disruption, but these type of snippets do the opposite.

I don't think its the job of Walesonline to sell it to the public but I do think it would be responsible for them to give their readership a broader view so that they can see where this scheme sits within the wider Metro plan and make their own mind up. As it is the only comments will be of the 'they can find 18m for Cardiff but they can't clean up the dogshit in Swansea/fill the potholes in Llandudno Junction/keep the cottage hospital open in Aberporth' variety based on ignorance.

I'm not sure why I'm bothered as this has been the MO of the WME for years but I guess I'm frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a media organ within Wales where this type of thing is dealt with seriously and in depth......

Karl

Most on this forum will have the werewithal to find most of the above out for themselves but then again we are the type of characters who can have a full blown row over what constitutes the boundaries of Rochdale on a thread about Bristol on a forum devoted to Cardiff, so I'd say we are not indicative of the general public.

Great post. Particularly this bit

Karl

I'm not sure why I'm bothered as this has been the MO of the WME for years but I guess I'm frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a media organ within Wales where this type of thing is dealt with seriously and in depth......

It's because you and most (if not all) of us on this forum give a shit about our lovely city and the wider region.

It's just piss poor journalism and doesn't help people understand that this 18 million being spent in Cardiff Bay is just another bit of money being spent to add to the millions spent in Caerphilly, Barry, Ponty, Ebbw Vale and various other non-Cardiff places over the last few years on station enhancements, new lines, new stations etc that are adding to a bigger and better network.

Karl
I hate these 'infomercials' run by the WME. They just seem to regurgitate press releases verbatim and there is very rarely any context.

Almost all newspapers are largely run like this these days, even the nationals. They operate with a skeleton staff compared to a dacade ago and are only really able to make minor edits to press releases that appear newsworthy (or likely to sell papers). Competition from the internet has meant that newspapers have had to become more sensationalist and cheaper to run, so now we just get gossip, and adverts dressed up as stories.

I have a friend who is in marketing in London, and he regularly gets press releases that are thinly veiled adverts into all the newspapers by concotcing a bullshit story around them. The papers just soak it up and churn it out barely edited just for something cheap to fill their pages.

Kyle
It might be me being stupid as usual but for me the first step isn't the 18 million being spent on the bay to city centre link. It's already happening and has been happening for years surely ?

All the new stations and new lines opened in the last few years, all the improvements to stations that have been recently completed or that are under way with the current valley lines network are a part of the metro network.

Sure there's lots and lots to do such as electrification, integrating the bus network properly, further new stations, new lines and potentially some new types of service (tram, light rail etc.), but the metro is there, just under a different name with lots of improvements to come.

I'd like to know what the plans are for an overarching authority for the system, likewise what plans there are for rebranding services. I'd like to see what has been mentioned above, a TfL type authority running the whole bus network and rail network in the area. I guess there are a lot of commercial dicussions to be had with the many private and local authority run operators of bus services as well as Arriva Trains Wales, but it would be good for the image of the whole system to have a single identity.

How about, as I've mentioned before, Cardiff Area Rapid Transit - CART. In big blue letters on a red background on all trains and busses. Seriously though, one of the factors that contribute to the awareness of many transit systems around the world is branding. London - Underground. San Francisco - BART and so on to a point that it becomes almost second nature to use them and this is particularly necessary in this part of the country because there is no public transport culture.

colour wolf
Karl

Almost all newspapers are largely run like this these days, even the nationals. They operate with a skeleton staff compared to a dacade ago and are only really able to make minor edits to press releases that appear newsworthy (or likely to sell papers). Competition from the internet has meant that newspapers have had to become more sensationalist and cheaper to run, so now we just get gossip, and adverts dressed up as stories.

I have a friend who is in marketing in London, and he regularly gets press releases that are thinly veiled adverts into all the newspapers by concotcing a bullshit story around them. The papers just soak it up and churn it out barely edited just for something cheap to fill their pages.

Think about it for a mo it's easier to find out what's going on in Newport and Swansea because at their local newspapers actually have websites dedicated to the respective area. Good grief even Penarth has dedicated news website! Whereas Cardiff is lumbered with walesonline that is frankly being a jack of all trades and master of none.

des - penarth
How about, as I've mentioned before, Cardiff Area Rapid Transit - CART. In big blue letters on a red background on all trains and busses.

Given the state of current provision I think Cardiff Rapid Area Passenger Network would be better. I've even come with some slogans for them "Off to town? Think CRAP!" , "Feeling like you're going nowhere in life? Take a CRAP!" or "Don't like walking? you should try CRAP!"

Maybe I've been lucky or maybe it's because of the part of Cardiff I live in but I don't think public transport is too bad. Buses are modern, comfortable and most importantly regular. Trains I don't tend to use but there is decent coverage in the north and west of the city (probably more so than cities of a similar size).

I think extending the rail network eastwards towards Newport with stops at Splott, Rumney, St Mellons, Castleton etc would make a world of difference to the east of the city. It seems to me an easy win for the metro system as well - existing rail line, plenty of space for infrastructure (at least once you get past Splott) - but I'm not a railway engineer so I could be simplifying things immensely. If that work could be done for 18m I think this would represent much more bang for the buck than the proposed train/tram between the city centre and the Bay (sexy as that may be in comparison).

I think there are a few pinchpoints on the transport system that need to be addressed at some stage. Newport Rd between Roath Court and City Rd is a nightmare for transport of any sort. Something needs to happen with Cowbridge Rd east/Wellington St as well - make it one way, stop on street parking, dedicated bus lanes etc although none of that will be popular with anyone.

Karl
Maybe I've been lucky or maybe it's because of the part of Cardiff I live in but I don't think public transport is too bad. Buses are modern, comfortable and most importantly regular. Trains I don't tend to use but there is decent coverage in the north and west of the city (probably more so than cities of a similar size).

That's pretty much my experience as well, but then that's the issue I guess. We have part of a network where there are regular train services in some places but not others and likewise with bus services. The rolling stock isn't ideal on the train service either, but then I think it's fairly similar to some of the trains I've been on elsewhere in the UK and we aren't exactly rolling in money to remedy this.

I do pretty well where I live for train services into Cardiff, but when you think about whole areas of the region that do not have this same service (such as those you mentioned) you can see where the improvements need to be made.

Loving the suggestions for the service name above by the way, it would take a brave authority to choose CRAP

all this metro talk is great, the vision is superb......but anyone can come up with a vision.
the substance behind it all is so weak, who will firstly pay for it all and secondly who will pay to run it - rail in wales loses 170 million plus a year. have we got money to keep what we have going?
the stuff announced in the bay recently - and it was poor journalism for me to, as all it said was this is a good idea really, no money actually committed - but that route is intrinsic to the current rail franchise, so will have to wait for that contract to end as its the golden goose on the network, and if it goes - and it should be light rail - it means big implications for whoever does take the next franchise.

its all good, the new city line extension is great, but where is the cash coming from.
Give me the eastern link road first.

1 2 3 4
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM