CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bonnie Tyler at Eurovision?

I don't know if any of you are aware of this, but Welsh woman Bonnie Tyler is reprisenting the U.K. at the Eurovision Song Contest in Sweden. The Welsh media were really eagar to latch onto this, evidently it was a slow week, and some people I know actually believe that Bonnie will win the competition. Wales to the rescue?

Entertain me for a moment, and imagine that we did win the competition. Cardiff or Swansea would probably host the damn thing, as is tradition.

We would benefit from the increased tourisim, and people would actually know where we were for a change. But might I remind you that Ireland has hosted it several times in the past, and it nearly bankrupted them.

Bonnie is VERY popular in Middle and Eastern Europe, as well as Scandinavia, and I'm told that when the Wall fell, one of the first things the East Germans wanted was a copy "Total Eclipse of the Heart".

So, will you be watching? Do you think that we can win, or at least avoid coming last?

Re: Bonnie Tyler at Eurovision?

TheLordCrow

.....Entertain me for a moment, and imagine that we did win the competition. Cardiff or Swansea would probably host the damn thing, as is tradition.

You obviously know little about Eurovision! Firstly, if Ms Tyler won (and that is very very doubtful - see 2 below) she is singing for the UK and not Wales. Consequently, the next show would not necessarily be in Wales. Indeed , I would hazard a guess it would be Manchester of Birmingham. Secondly, it is not a song contest anymore. It is a 'political' show as is obvious from the voting if you watch it!

Personally speaking, I think it is time for the BBC to get out of it. It has become a worthless exercise.

Idunno
TheLordCrow

.....Entertain me for a moment, and imagine that we did win the competition. Cardiff or Swansea would probably host the damn thing, as is tradition.

You obviously know little about Eurovision! Firstly, if Ms Tyler won (and that is very very doubtful - see 2 below) she is singing for the UK and not Wales. Consequently, the next show would not necessarily be in Wales. Indeed , I would hazard a guess it would be Manchester of Birmingham. Secondly, it is not a song contest anymore. It is a 'political' show as is obvious from the voting if you watch it!

Personally speaking, I think it is time for the BBC to get out of it. It has become a worthless exercise.

I like the song from Malta and will probably vote for it.

I actually read up Britain's previous wins, and I know that Birmingham has hosted it before. However, it is often considered an unofficial rule in the Contest for the place to be held in the singer's hometown, hence why it's being held in Malmo, which was the hometown of last year's winner.

Officially, it is still competition, but let's face it, it isn't anymore. Block voting rules the competition, and even we do it. It takes a very special, catchy song to overcome everything.

I actually think that the U.K. doesn't take it seriously. A romanian friend of mine mentioned that many former-Soviet and dictatorship countries like Serbia take it so seriously because they view it as democratic. Go figure.

Sorry you are incorrect. If it was to be held in the singer's home town how do they solve it when it is won by one country and the singer comes from another as sometimes has happened.(eg. Celine Dion won for Switzerland in 1988. She, as you know, is Canadian!) After Bucks Fizz won in 1981, the next year's contest was held in Harrogate yet three of the singers were from the London area and one from Ireland. Our last winner - Katrina and The Waves in 1997 had the lead singer, Katrina, from the USA (although she lived in Norfolk)and the band formed in Cambridge but the contest was held in Birmingham.

As you say, Birmingham have hosted previously but then London have done so on three occasions so it is no bar to its being held in Birmingham again.

Pointless argument really. We won't win. As I said previously, it is too political now. Most of the former Soviet Republics vote for each other. Greece vote for Cyprus - and vice versa. It stopped being 'serious' (i.e. other than a joke) once it was extended. All we in the UK do is help (in a large way) to fund it. That's why we get automatic selection.

I just think of the things the BBC could do with the money they spend to ensure 'happiness' in Eastern Europe!

Bonnie Tyler

this would definitely win it

Jantra
Bonnie Tyler

this would definitely win it

Fair play to that Leicester fan that was excellent!! - the poor bloke has probably just composed another one about that missed penalty against watford in the playoffs recently - It's tough being a Leicester fan thats for sure

Wales, Scotland and England can technically compete individually which could start a British Isles block. Wales has been told that it is allowed to compete separately with S4C footing the our part of the contributions that Britain currently pay. Scotland can through BBC Alba and then England through whichever broadcaster it chooses, but the costs are massive which is why Wales doesn't compete individually and we wouldn't get automatic qualification either.

I understood the rules of the competition permit active members of the European Broadcasting Union to participate. The BBC is such a member and, as far as I understand it, is the only member from the UK. Each member country is permitted to enter a song. Unless Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales become separate countries with their own Broadcasting Service, I cannot see how they can individually compete.

EDIT

I see that United Kingdom Independent Broadcasting (representing Independent Television, Channel 4 and S4C) have been a member of the EBU since 1959 so I accept that Wales might enter via S4C as you suggest. I can't see how Scotland could enter though. Surely BBC Alba is part of the BBC (that is jointly owned by BBC & MG Alba) so wouldn't qualify as 'separate'??

I'm not sure where I read it but I also read that ITV Wales and BBC Cymru|Wales could bid along with BBC Alba and STV but I'm not sure really. Would be quite interesting to see if Wales could live up to our 'Land of Song' moniker

Just watching the voting and it is just like a comedy show. We are currently running at about 85% correct with our guesses at the top three votes for countries. Regrettably, the "Land of Song" moniker won't do any good. Bonnie Tyler's currently got about 4 votes. It's a joke! It's nothing to do with singing! Really is time we pulled out and spent the money on something worthwhile.

I thought she was pretty awful to be honest, can't have any complaints. Denmark may have benefited from the the Scandanavian vote but they also got 12 points from the United Kingdom let's not forget.

Idunno

Secondly, it is not a song contest anymore. It is a 'political' show as is obvious from the voting if you watch it!

I never get this. It's just bitter "why didn't we win?" childishness. Looking at the results this year, there was a clear consensus from all the countries that favoured the top three entrants (unless you think that votes from the UK, Germany and Russia are all politically slanted towards the same countries - Ha!). Forget what Wogan or Norton (hardly great politically aware commentators)keep banging on about. We didn't win because our entry was crap.

If you want to spout agendas, give some evidence, because it sure just sounds like whining and sour grapes to me. Any fool know thatif there are political agendas, neighbouring countries are more likely to oppose each other than support each other. Cultural preferences might be more aligned to each other, but that's hardly the same thing.

Regarding the BBC getting out of it, isn't it part of the EBU membership deal? In any case, despite my own personal taste and dislike of the event, it sure pulls in the ratings, so I can't see why the BBC would wish to "get out of it".

des - penarth

I like the song from Malta and will probably vote for it.

Oh, and since there seems to be at least one conspiracy theorist, if you did vote for Malta and waste 50p like that, I should warn you that anyone who is daft enough to vote in Eurovosion, their details are stored permanently in a government national "stupid list" database.

SP
Wales, Scotland and England can technically compete individually which could start a British Isles block. Wales has been told that it is allowed to compete separately with S4C footing the our part of the contributions that Britain currently pay. Scotland can through BBC Alba and then England through whichever broadcaster it chooses, but the costs are massive which is why Wales doesn't compete individually and we wouldn't get automatic qualification either.

I'm not sure that's true.

Also, what's this "huge cost" you often hear? It can't cost more than putting on a football match or sporting event surely? It's just a variety entertainment show. Not the sort of thing to bankrupt nations - even nations like Wales!

simon__200

.....Forget what Wogan or Norton (hardly great politically aware commentators)keep banging on about.....

...and I assume you are. Strange, I've never heard of you!?

It has nothing to do with 'why didn't we win (personally, I cannot see why we keep calling out 'geriatric' performers)...more about how much it is costing. If you think (according to your last post) that it doesn't cost much, why have other countries, other than the 'Big 5', said it would have to cease if the BBC et al pull out?

Idunno
simon__200

.....Forget what Wogan or Norton (hardly great politically aware commentators)keep banging on about.....

...and I assume you are. Strange, I've never heard of you!?

Err, I'm pretty confident that I'm more politically aware than Norton or Wogan, yes, as you happen ask.

Sorry, but how is the "I've never heard of you" relevant to how politically aware I am?
Idunno

It has nothing to do with 'why didn't we win (personally, I cannot see why we keep calling out 'geriatric' performers)...more about how much it is costing. If you think (according to your last post) that it doesn't cost much, why have other countries, other than the 'Big 5', said it would have to cease if the BBC et al pull out?

Which ones have? Or are you talking about those ridiculous "Ireland tabled crap candidates because they couldn't afford to host it" barking theories?
Azerbaijan hosted it, so I'm sure Ireland could just about cobble it together. I mean compared to their 120% GDP national debt - it's not like it would even register. Especially considering what it's done for their precious River Dance over the years - it might even create a couple of much needed jobs.

And let me run that one by you again. You're now claiming that the voting is rigged into only making countries that can afford to win, win? Am I understanding you correctly? That's a new conspiracy theory, surely?

Countries like Azerbaijan host it with financial assistance from the 'Big 5' including the BBC. If they didn't give such assistance, such countries could not afford to host it.

Surprised you were not 'aware' of that. BTW, anyone can 'say' they are politically aware. Your posts tend to demonstrate lack rather than plenty.

Your last sentence demonstrates your lack of comprehension so I think 'No Comment' is probably most suitable! I won't comment further. You're simply not worth the time.

Idunno
Countries like Azerbaijan host it with financial assistance from the 'Big 5' including the BBC. If they didn't give such assistance, such countries could not afford to host it.

Surprised you were not 'aware' of that. BTW, anyone can 'say' they are politically aware. Your posts tend to demonstrate lack rather than plenty.

Your last sentence demonstrates your lack of comprehension so I think 'No Comment' is probably most suitable! I won't comment further. You're simply not worth the time.

Are you a UKIP voter by any chance?

Idunno

Ha ha. Look up irony in a dictionary, and knock yourself out.

I suppose I should have been suspicious of your name, that strangely turned out to be rather prophetic.

Who would have thought that something like EUROVISION would cause such a stir?

I actually remember a few years ago there was a similar contest with Asian countries.

I just checked, and Malmo is quite close to the Danish capital. So I imagine all of the Danes came over on a bus so they could sneak around the law about voting for your own country.

A lot of people suggest sending Adele, or One Direction, but the thing is, they wouldn't associate with the competition because of all of the negative info about it. Even if we did send them, would we people even vote for them know who they were representing?

Oh, and I found a nice statistical analysis.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22560481

We may win again one day, but I think we'll have to kiss a lot of arse to do it.

Idunno
Just watching the voting and it is just like a comedy show. We are currently running at about 85% correct with our guesses at the top three votes for countries. Regrettably, the "Land of Song" moniker won't do any good. Bonnie Tyler's currently got about 4 votes. It's a joke! It's nothing to do with singing! Really is time we pulled out and spent the money on something worthwhile.

Humourless UKIPer alert!

I watched it with my headphones on listening to Interpol and reading the comments on Twitter, and it was the most entertaining three hours of the past month.

simon__200
SP

I'm not sure that's true.

Also, what's this "huge cost" you often hear? It can't cost more than putting on a football match or sporting event surely? It's just a variety entertainment show. Not the sort of thing to bankrupt nations - even nations like Wales!

It is true. Read above. The costs would be for S4C to pay the European Broadcasting Union for a stand alone membership which would enable Wales to participate. S4C is a member of the EBU but under the United Kingdom so it can, if it wanted to, send Welsh contestants. That is what the S4C programme 'Can i Gymru' (Song for Wales) was originally intended as, but the costs would be too much for S4C.

Lyndon
Idunno

Humourless UKIPer alert!

I watched it with my headphones on listening to Interpol and reading the comments on Twitter, and it was the most entertaining three hours of the past month.

What's up? Sick of losing your arguments with Jantra?

Lyndon
Idunno

Humourless UKIPer alert!

You listen to Interpol? Lydon, you suddenly became a little cooler in my eyes.

Now that the competition is over, and everyone has gone home, who do you think we should send next year. If we wish to continue the trend of sending aging rock chicks then we should send Debbie Harry, or Elton John.

If, by chance, the UK did win, Wales is owed a Eurovision contest. It has been held in London (4 times), Brighton, Harrogate, Birmingham and Edinburgh. However, you don't have to win to host it. The UK has hosted it 8 times, but has only won it 5 times. It could be a good investment to ride to the rescue of an impoverished winning country. Unfortunately Denmark does not fit that category!

I think we could vastly improve our chances of winning next time by not picking a song that's completely crap. Also I don't think our recent tactic of using, ahem, veteran performers is paying off. Someone young and attractive next time, possibly not wearing very much.

TheLordCrow: you can't go wrong with a bit of Interpol, though I don't think they've ever really topped the first album.

Lyndon
I think we could vastly improve our chances of winning next time by not picking a song that's completely crap. Also I don't think our recent tactic of using, ahem, veteran performers is paying off. Someone young and attractive next time, possibly not wearing very much.

TheLordCrow: you can't go wrong with a bit of Interpol, though I don't think they've ever really topped the first album.

I don't think it's just an age thing, it's also a quality thing, That song along with so many more were very forgettable and as soon as I say I like a song, it's the kiss of death, otherwise Germany would have won at least four in the past ten years. Oh well less than a year to the next contest and Denmark is one of my favourite places to visit!

I've been to Aarhus, Denmark's second city. Slightly bigger than Newport, and rather quaint.

This country has one of the world's largest, most recognizable music industries, and one of the worst international relations. If we got Gary Barlow to write the song, Simon Cowell to pick the talent, Arlene Phillips to do the choreography, and Alexander Mcqueen to make the costumes there would still be a high chance of us getting our arses handed to us because of bloc voting and our international relations.

It will take a phenominally talented, beloved, and lucky person for us to win, and can we even produce such a person.

Lyndon - I personally think that Interpol peaked just before the second album, and every else has been alright, with the occasional fantastic track.

UK failure at Eurovision has nothing to do with our poor international relations. Former empires of Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union cast a long shadow. Culturally we only really have the Irish on our side. Let's just think what would happen if you had a Welsh entry. Presumably a Scottish one too. England? NI? I wonder if the Basques or Catalans might fancy something similar? We could end up with a Eurovision of 100+ entries and no doubt the current block vote would look quaint by comparison as Normandy votes for Brittany etc.

I'm guessing the current idea is coming from hardcore nationalists, as it doesn't make much sense.

Nope, I'm neither a nationalist, nor a UKIP supporter.

I agree with what you said about all the potential competitors. I can also imagine Scotland never giving England points.

QED (I don't think it was written by a Sky UKIP supporter!)

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM