CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
City skyline

In general, rathe than Capital Quarter...

Can we see this again? Cardiff's not very impressive at night these days eh?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilcocker/4571868/

Re: City skyline

Many of us have an appetite for a quirky rather than bulky building in Cardiff.. There should be more legal graffiti and street art walls like Elm Street in Roath and the artists should be commissioned to express themselves and brighten up the Caerdydd life hwyl

Cant see the link between a quirky building changing the skyline and graffiti? Kind of an "i like turtles comment". As for skyline Cardiff desperately needs a tall building to define the skyline ala the Spinnaker tower, Manchester & Liverpool Beetham towers, the shard etc. its not too bad a skyline for the UK though, a few of my pics

IMG_0219

P7254941

P7154665

P7144591

P8269756

there will be a few tall buildings in the foreground on the 2nd picture within say 3 years. IIRC you have prospect place, the two Greenbank towers and Bayscape.

The issue is that UK towers tend to be very slender unlike other countries. This doesn't give the bulk to skylines you get. I'd also say that other than London, most UK cities don't have skylines of note.

I think that is a bit over optimistic. Obviously prospect place is on the way, but i think we will be lucky to see more than one of the others up three years from now. It is possible we could see two of the three. But I would be amazed (and impressed) if all four were up within three years.

I was talking at night too... Stadium is NEVER lit up inany form, BT tower has the red light and thats about it, capital tower is weaker than it was - dont think the red light in the top floor is on at the moment and city hall clock tower is rarely working...(light wise)

Redragon
I was talking at night too... Stadium is NEVER lit up inany form, BT tower has the red light and thats about it, capital tower is weaker than it was - dont think the red light in the top floor is on at the moment and city hall clock tower is rarely working...(light wise)

All down to cost cutting I imagine.

The stadium was lit for Rhianna the other night, but i do think its cost cutting. The Peirhead building doesnt even have its clock illuminated anymore, at one time the top roof was illuminated but i only saw that for about 3 days until they covered it up with scaffolding again.

To what extent was it lit outside? Were the 'prongs' lit up? I see they gave it a bit of a clean up for the Olympics, maybe they changed a few bulbs!

It would just look great from a distance and when approaching the city if the 'alien' was illuminated!

City Hall is usually lit up to be fair, along with the museum, court and main uni building.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM