CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
G8 Summit

Why do Northern Ireland and Scotland get one and we don't?

Re: G8 Summit

Have you really nothing better to whinge about?

Do you really want the disruption of such a conference/summit to be held around here? There was a govermental conference held a few years ago at City Hall and most of the civic centre was closed off and we had about 3000 extra police on the streets due to the threat of protests etc.
Although there was talk of the benfits I think they were short lived during the conference period.

That said could you imagine Air Force 1 et al landing at Cardiff Airport! They would probably build a new terminal just for them.

There was actually a major EU summit in Cardiff in 1998 I think when the UK had the presidency.

Eniskillen and gleneagles are not Belfast and Glasgow though.

If we held one it'd probably be in builth wells.

qwerty
Have you really nothing better to whinge about?

No I don't.

I wasn't advocating one in Cardiff actually I would much prefer one somewhere else if it was to be in Wales.

I once went to celtic manor on the same day Tony Blair, then still PM, was visiting. Didn't like all the guns everywhere.

You'd never get a G8 summit in Cardiff. Far too near the proles. And it's only here every 8 years anyway.

So where would you hold it?

Portmeirion?
Conwy?
Llanfair p g ?

If you had to pick a smaller town or village to put wales on the map where would you choose?

Tenby. Hands down, no contest. By far Wales' prettiest town.

Folks, you do realise that you need a large international standard venue which can hold thousands of delegates to host such an event? I don't think a few dozen 3 star B&B's at a charming seaside town would suffice. Just a thought!

Cardiff struggled with the 1998 Euro summit due to a major lack of hotel rooms at the time. Chancellor Kohl, then the most important player in European politics stayed in the Novotel (formerly known as the Hannover International) on Tyndall St !

We can but dream.

Wizard
Folks, you do realise that you need a large international standard venue which can hold thousands of delegates to host such an event? I don't think a few dozen 3 star B&B's at a charming seaside town would suffice. Just a thought!

Cardiff struggled with the 1998 Euro summit due to a major lack of hotel rooms at the time. Chancellor Kohl, then the most important player in European politics stayed in the Novotel (formerly known as the Hannover International) on Tyndall St !

The Lough Erne resort has conference and banqueting facilities for only 400 people. There are plenty of places in South Wales as big as that. It's its seclusion from potential demonstrations that has led it to be chosen.

If that's the case then it's a game changer for us here in Cardiff.

If inaccessibility is the name of the game then what better place to host future summits than on our very own doorstep.

One big road in and out (arrange a load shedding on the M4 and it'll be well nigh impossible for the protestors to get in).

An airport without any flights (only protesters who fly from the Canaries can arrive).

The tidal Estuary naturally prevents any amphibious landings.

It's a no-brainer. Let's apply for some European funding to get the ball rolling....

It's a summit with the eight most wealthy countries, correct? What makes you so sure that the UK will even be in the top eight wealthiest countries by the time that it takes Cardiff, or any other Welsh settlement, to build everything that is needed, and get the place up to scratch?

Hold the G8 in Portmerion then they can all be Prisoneers. Cameroon can be No.6 and Osborne can be inside the giant bouncy ball.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM