CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cardiff Restaurants

I was wondering if you could all help! Please could you name some nice restaurants within the city and where they're located? I'm fed up of eating in the chain restaurants and want to try something different :)

Re: Cardiff Restaurants

If you like tapas, then this little place certainly won't disappoint you.

http://www.delirouge.co.uk/

Well, I've just had a rather marvellous meal at the Purple Poppadom on Cowbridge Rd. Very top end Indian food.

Mint and mustard

Bullys

Pier64

Mission Burrito has said on twitter that they have signed a lease on a store in Cardiff. Sells some pretty decent Latino food. Something different for the city

That's good, I personally think we have too many Chinese, and Indian joints, and not enough Korean, Sushi, and Latino/Hispanic places.

They've confirmed that it will be in the friary. Any body know where exactly? Would that be the empty unit in the tower? They're applying for a late night licence too which will make a mint from all the drunks on that street

http://gourmetgorro.blogspot.kr/2011/11/yakiniku-korean-japanese-restaurant.html?m=1

TheLordCrow- Do you know if this place is still open? Not the handiest location but might be worth it to get your kimchi fix

Masterchef 2013 finalists Larkin Cen and Dale Williams are to open an East Asian restaurant in Cardiff called Hokkei. This could be fantastic. Larkin is gaining experience at the Fat Duck in Bray now, which is one of the world's best restaurants.
I wonder where Hokkei will be? Does anyone have any news or ideas?

New Frnch restaurant moving into Brewery Quarter in coming months:

le bistrot pierre

http://www.lebistrotpierre.co.uk/locations/cardiff

I notice that James Sommerin s restaurant is finally opening this weekend
http://www.jamessommerinrestaurant.co.uk

Probably the most significant restaurant opening in Cardiff (OK penarth) in some time.
Hopefully it is a huge success and more top chefs move to the area.

Combined with wahaca choosing Cardiff as their first location outside of London we might have a few more options than nandos and harvesters in the near future.

At those prices, I'll give it 12 months max!

50 quid for a 5 course taster menu from a Michelin starred chef is pretty reasonable.
The chef's table sounds pretty cool too.

I am behind on this one. Is this in the new build on Penarth front? The website suggests they will also be operating a nine bed hotel. If this is in the new build then I guess with a chunk of it being the private house of the architect, and some of it being a hotel, then not much of it will end up being sold as housing.

Me
I am behind on this one. Is this in the new build on Penarth front? The website suggests they will also be operating a nine bed hotel. If this is in the new build then I guess with a chunk of it being the private house of the architect, and some of it being a hotel, then not much of it will end up being sold as housing.

it is in the new build, which looks very well done imho. a good addition to the front and what with the pier now being open, Penarth front is in danger of being revitalised once more. There is Sommerin's, the Fig Tree, The Pier and Pebble and Romeo by the Sea all offering something just a bit different than say Mermaid Quay. Lets not forget the Custom House's two restaurants (El Puerto and La Marina) and Pier 64, Penarth really does punch above its weight in dining out

Jantra
Me

it is in the new build, which looks very well done imho. a good addition to the front and what with the pier now being open, Penarth front is in danger of being revitalised once more. There is Sommerin's, the Fig Tree, The Pier and Pebble and Romeo by the Sea all offering something just a bit different than say Mermaid Quay. Lets not forget the Custom House's two restaurants (El Puerto and La Marina) and Pier 64, Penarth really does punch above its weight in dining out

Or is it the rest of the region punching below its weight?

Colour Wolf
Jantra
Me

Or is it the rest of the region punching below its weight?

possibly, but either way, Penarth is doing well for a few decent restaurants

Just need to demolish that red tiled monstrosity and provide something with some ground floor units to really make a difference.

Jantra
Me

I'm a big fan of the fig tree and pier 64, but I don't really count el Puerto and LA marina as 2 different establishments

Colour Wolf
Jantra
Me

I'm a big fan of the fig tree and pier 64, but I don't really count el Puerto and LA marina as 2 different establishments

I see your point and to a certain extent I'd say you were right but saying that one is a fish restaurant with table service and the other is a meat restaurant where you order your food in the kitchen

Colour Wolf
Combined with wahaca choosing Cardiff as their first location outside of London we might have a few more options than nandos and harvesters in the near future.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/wahaca-cardiff-update-london-based-mexican-7124791

Carlos
Just need to demolish that red tiled monstrosity and provide something with some ground floor units to really make a difference.

Yes! If only... It is such a dominant structure, sticking out into the road, and yet so ugly. I wonder if small stalls could be located on the pavement in good weather to animate the area.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM