CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
BBC move confirmed - but no news on the exact site.

BBC Wales has announced its Cardiff headquarters is up for sale as part of its plans to relocate to a new purpose-built broadcast centre elsewhere in the Welsh capital by 2018.

The BBC said it was looking at five or six sites in the city as a possible new location for its operations.

It follows 47 years at Llandaff.

A preferred site is expected to be selected by next spring when the final plans will need approval by the BBC executive and the BBC Trust.

"We believe these exciting proposals could significantly strengthen BBC Cymru Wales' role as the national broadcaster for Wales whilst also opening up new and exciting opportunities for the wider creative and media sector in Wales," said managing director of BBC Operations and Finance, Anne Bulford.

"The ageing infrastructure at Llandaff is clearly reaching the end of the road - and it is time to look to the future."

BBC Cymru Wales currently occupies two sites in Llandaff - Broadcasting House and Ty Oldfield opposite.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-23535548

Re: BBC move confirmed - but no news on the exact site.

Let's hope it is not a roundabout in a dim and distant business park.

Maybe they're going to house share with ITV?

I would assume that they would locate near or at the Roath Lock studios?
Could give a boost to the area as a media centre. Especially if S4C co-locate and ITV's smaller operation sets up in the area.

Maybe a much better use for land in the area than the replacement travellers site when the Rover Way site is closed. Two of the possible replacements on the Councils shortlist are in that area.

I would love the BBC to try and link the City Centre and the Bay..How, I don't know, but perhaps something along the river off Dumballs Road or Callaghan Square, or perhaps off Tyndall Street? That would really shake up the City Centre, and make Adam Street area feel far more central, which would be wholly positive.

Other than that, surely the glass needle site will be sniffing around them?

James
I would love the BBC to try and link the City Centre and the Bay..How, I don't know, but perhaps something along the river off Dumballs Road or Callaghan Square, or perhaps off Tyndall Street? That would really shake up the City Centre, and make Adam Street area feel far more central, which would be wholly positive.

Other than that, surely the glass needle site will be sniffing around them?

I picked up a bit more about this from a friend who was at the BBC staff meeting. Apparently they were told that parking would be restricted to operational vehicles and people working "extreme"shifts. The majority of staff would be expected to use public transport. That would certainly make the sites you mention possible candidates and pretty much rule out anywhere outisde the city centre & the bay.

Think Sports Village...nudge nudge wink wink!!

S4C to take over the coal exchange?

Intheknow

now that's interesting coz.....

There was a video presentation of the sports village option - that was removed quite sharpish at the time, (a year ago maybe?) it was very impressive though! I spoke to someone involved (I forget who or his involvement ) but he was absolutely certain that this development would be happening. It was between the large tower proposed (not bayscape) and the cardiff pointe towers and was a reasonable height itself. - still I believe nothing until 'topping out ceremonies' when it comes to sports village plans!! Personally I would love it to be the sports village coz that's going to be one heck of a peninsular if all comes to fruition!!

Intheknow

you're not carl are you?

I'm really excited about this. It's sounding like a choice between a couple of sites in the bay and the city centre then. Either way, it's a major boost for the city so fingers crossed it'll definitely go ahead.

I prefer the idea of them, plus the likes of ITV and S4C moving to the Roath Basin or Cardiff Waterside sites, but something impressive at the Sports Village site would be okay as well.

The sports village has its plans, i think Roath lock would be best for the city, and in the long term best for the BBC (even short term is better for their staff!)

So everyone will have to get down to Roath Lock by public transport? I can see that being popular........

I think it would be far more popular than taking (practically non-existent) public transport down to the sports village!

I'm guessing quite a lot of BBC staff are already based in either Roath Lock studios or Hoddinot Hall. Surely it would make sense for the new centre to be in the same area?

dylan
I think it would be far more popular than taking (practically non-existent) public transport down to the sports village!

Cardiff Bus Route 9 every 20 minutes Mon-Sat and every 30 mins Sun

'Practically Non-existent'?????

Idunno
dylan

Cardiff Bus Route 9 every 20 minutes Mon-Sat and every 30 mins Sun

'Practically Non-existent'?????

If it is to be believed that the BBC are advising their staff to solely use public transport then can you really imagine staff running into the hundred's using a single bus service that run's every twenty minutes, it would be ridiculous! Whereas the bay you have a rail service and also baycar etc.

While it was probably not fair to describe the transport link's as practically non-existent they are certainly not currently adequate to deal with the amount of people the BBC would bring.

Maybe you should think about what you post before you see an easy dig

dylan
Whereas the bay you have a rail service and also baycar etc.

The point about the rail link is well-made.

It's worth remembering that not all the BBC's staff are highly-paid luvies. Cardiff is the home of the BBC's finance and pensions departments. Those employees and a lot of the technical staff are on pretty average incomes. Because of the Llandaff location quite a high percentage currently commute in from places like Pontypridd, the Llantrisant area and Bridgend.

I'm not saying it won't be the ISV but it strikes me they would need to be offered a very good deal to go there rather than the city centre or central bay area given the superior public transport.

Would the travel to work plan for the site be required to identify ways the workers are expected to get there and back? Especially as it has been reported that there will be limited car parking at the development.

Wherever this development goes it could have the effect of improving public transport to the location and its surrounding area? If at Roath Lock it might even get some people onto the Baycar so we will see less of that bus going around virtually empty.

It must be a 10 minute walk down to Roath Dock from the Bay station. Anyone going by train through Queen St would be fine but if you're coming in East/West you'd have to change at Central. Yeah, there's a bus service. But unless you live in town or on the route, you'd need to take another bus into town first. Then pick up the 2nd bus to take you to Roath Dock. We're talking maybe 45 minutes in total to go 2-3 miles. Far more sensible would be to have the new facilites in town - Callaghan Sq (near bus station, train Station) or abandon this public transport policy.

Frank
It must be a 10 minute walk down to Roath Dock from the Bay station. Anyone going by train through Queen St would be fine but if you're coming in East/West you'd have to change at Central. Yeah, there's a bus service. But unless you live in town or on the route, you'd need to take another bus into town first. Then pick up the 2nd bus to take you to Roath Dock. We're talking maybe 45 minutes in total to go 2-3 miles. Far more sensible would be to have the new facilites in town - Callaghan Sq (near bus station, train Station) or abandon this public transport policy.

I'm not sure if you're saying that as a good or bad thing. 10 minutes walk is hardly earth shattering. I'd also say that walking from central to the bay is about 20 minutes so again is not the end of the world. We really do need to move away from this notion that we have a god given right to public transport from our front door to our desk. Having a bit of a walk at the end of it will wake you up and make you more productive.

I'm pretty sure Cambo will point out that most office workers in London have up to an hour (if not more) commute followed by a 10-15 minute walk from the tube. Perhaps the English are made of sterner stuff than us Welsh - it certainly would appear so with all the bellyaching we hear about having to put one foot in front of another a few times.

Frank
It must be a 10 minute walk down to Roath Dock from the Bay station.

True enough but that's not the only possible site in the central bay. There's large empty site opposite the stage door to Hoddinot Hall and Assembly Square as well. Whichever way you slice and dice it the central bay area has better public transport than the ISV.

Obviously the city centre itself is the best place from a public transport point of view but I'm guessing the cost per square foot would be a deal higher. Having said that most developers would cut a very good deal for a public-sector blue-chip client like the BBC.

dylan

...Maybe you should think about what you post before you see an easy dig

Talk about "kettle calling pot......" You were the one who made the all-encompassing statement that transport there was practically non-existent - which it patently is not!! Perhaps you might try to be more lucid in your posts rather than trying to blame your inability to do so on others!?

The moving forward plan has stated that it wants to reconfigure this part of the bay with 'statement' buildings in the aforementioned hole, the Red Dragon site and their soon to be old offices. They could get a nicer rate on rents if they help fulfil the council's plans. They'd also be close to the BBCNOW then, who used to practice in Llandaf before the days on Hoddinot Hall, too.

Idunno
dylan

Talk about "kettle calling pot......" You were the one who made the all-encompassing statement that transport there was practically non-existent - which it patently is not!! Perhaps you might try to be more lucid in your posts rather than trying to blame your inability to do so on others!?

As far as public transport is concerned, it doesn't matter where the BBC go. Cardiff Bus will adapt their network to suit the new location, after all, bus routes aren't constructed of concrete, so this discussion is irrelevant.

Jantra
Frank

I'm not sure if you're saying that as a good or bad thing. 10 minutes walk is hardly earth shattering. I'd also say that walking from central to the bay is about 20 minutes so again is not the end of the world. We really do need to move away from this notion that we have a god given right to public transport from our front door to our desk. Having a bit of a walk at the end of it will wake you up and make you more productive.

I'm pretty sure Cambo will point out that most office workers in London have up to an hour (if not more) commute followed by a 10-15 minute walk from the tube. Perhaps the English are made of sterner stuff than us Welsh - it certainly would appear so with all the bellyaching we hear about having to put one foot in front of another a few times.

Classic Jantra/Feedback. He is critical of people not wanting to walk 10 minutes and then on CCMB he moans about getting wet after a 10 minute walk!

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=msg&th=365683&start=0&rid=4987

Oh and by the way, Jantra, your claim that the Bank of North Dakota is a quasi-central bank is utterly wrong. I may visit your thread on CCMB about LBG where you make this bullshit claim. I really can't be arsed at the minute, although Dr Tim would love to know about this spurious Feedbackian guff, I'm sure. Don't bother arguing this point as I'm part of the movement to set up a public bank in Wales.

Sadly for you, your lies and fantasies won't really wash any more because too many people in South Wales know the odour of your spiel and the smell ain't Chanel #5.

B. Lee Dingobvious

Classic Jantra/Feedback. He is critical of people not wanting to walk 10 minutes and then on CCMB he moans about getting wet after a 10 minute walk!

Oh and by the way, Jantra, your claim that the Bank of North Dakota is a quasi-central bank is utterly wrong. I may visit your thread on CCMB about LBG where you make this bullshit claim. I really can't be arsed at the minute, although Dr Tim would love to know about this spurious Feedbackian guff, I'm sure. Don't bother arguing this point as I'm part of the movement to set up a public bank in Wales.

Sadly for you, your lies and fantasies won't really wash any more because too many people in South Wales know the odour of your spiel and the smell ain't Chanel #5.

my stalker is back. great stuff, you've been missed. Where in the CCMB thread have I complained about having to walk for ten minutes? I don't believe I did complain, in fact, the thread was about being soaked to the skin and not the walk.

Also, I think you will find the NBD is a quasi central bank for the institutions of North Dakota. Saying it isn't doesn't make it so.

do you still think Cardiff is a wealthy city too?

Idunno
dylan

I think you need to learn to appreciate perspective, if you were looking at thing's in term's of a small apartment building then the public transport links would be adequate. But and here's the important part for a basing of a major organization with a huge amount of employee's, the vast majority or which encouraged to use public transport, a bus that run's every twenty minutes doesn't really cut it and amount's to effectively sod all.

Although as a previous poster said these bus timetables can be chopped and changed but at present they are nowhere near good enough. You never know they could make it every ten minutes!

What's with the apostrophes?

term's = terms
employee's = employees
amount's = amounts
run's = runs

He has trouble with lucidity and I don't think he's quite got the English language sorted yet. He'll come up with some excuse or another if he follows the recent pattern. Take care though in pointing out his failings. There's none so blind as those who will not see. It'll end up being your fault!

What's bizarre is that I worked in the Beeb for 7 years (left about a year ago) and they were talking about a move about 5 years ago - I naturally assumed that sort of information was already well known.

Over the last few years I've worked on a number of proposals and potential sites - one interesting place they were looking at was near Ocean way on the old Nippon Electric Glass site.

The proposal here was for a fully integrated studio and office site - however the top bigwigs were concerned about access to the site as the council had no imminent plans to build the missing part of the A4232 (access would have been from Ocean/Rover Way)

Another proposal was to purchase the land opposite Roath Lock for offices, but last I heard on that was the Beeb missed a deadline to declare their interest and it went to somebody else.

Assembly Square was also briefly considered, until they realised they'd need much more space.

murfilicious
What's bizarre is that I worked in the Beeb for 7 years (left about a year ago) and they were talking about a move about 5 years ago - I naturally assumed that sort of information was already well known.

Over the last few years I've worked on a number of proposals and potential sites - one interesting place they were looking at was near Ocean way on the old Nippon Electric Glass site.

The proposal here was for a fully integrated studio and office site - however the top bigwigs were concerned about access to the site as the council had no imminent plans to build the missing part of the A4232 (access would have been from Ocean/Rover Way)

Another proposal was to purchase the land opposite Roath Lock for offices, but last I heard on that was the Beeb missed a deadline to declare their interest and it went to somebody else.

Assembly Square was also briefly considered, until they realised they'd need much more space.

It's been no secret that they've been discussing it for a while. I've read articles in the press going back several years, it's just that they've now put the Llandaff up for sale that has renewed the "Where?" speculation. Back then most people assumed it would be somewhere in Roath Lock, given the proximity to the studios, and of course their penchant for choosing waterside accommodation, lately.

However, as you say, I thought the a lot of that development area was already allocated by now. Wherever it ends up though, my money's on somewhere where there's water.

Llanishen Reservoir!?!? HA!

Jantra
B. Lee Dingobvious

my stalker is back. great stuff, you've been missed. Where in the CCMB thread have I complained about having to walk for ten minutes? I don't believe I did complain, in fact, the thread was about being soaked to the skin and not the walk.

Also, I think you will find the NBD is a quasi central bank for the institutions of North Dakota. Saying it isn't doesn't make it so.

Yes, I think that compared to most cities in the UK or globally, that Cardiff is a wealthy city.

As to your claim that BND is a 'quasi-central bank' rather than a public bank; where is your evidence? The Bank of North Dakota is a state-owned public bank. Why not come along to our Public Banking conference in the last week of September? It's in Cardiff and you can tell all of the delegates that they are wrong about what to call public banks. I will send you a free ticket if you promise to 'correct' everyone's misapprehension. What in the hell is a 'quasi-central bank' anyway? There's no such thing!

You think I am stalking you? The trail of your thoughts is all over these messageboards like the faeces of a diarrheatic poodle. If I had been stalking you I would have posted a correction on your pointless LBG thread.

simon__200

My undrestanding is that Assembly Square is still very much in mix - but would be dependent on a deal to extend the footprint to include a substantial section of the Assembly's surface car-park. I can't see the Assembly objecting but who knows about Ty Hywel's tax-haven freeholders? I suspect a deal could be done in the BBC wanted one.

B. Lee Dingobvious
Jantra
B. Lee Dingobvious

Yes, I think that compared to most cities in the UK or globally, that Cardiff is a wealthy city.

As to your claim that BND is a 'quasi-central bank' rather than a public bank; where is your evidence? The Bank of North Dakota is a state-owned public bank. Why not come along to our Public Banking conference in the last week of September? It's in Cardiff and you can tell all of the delegates that they are wrong about what to call public banks. I will send you a free ticket if you promise to 'correct' everyone's misapprehension. What in the hell is a 'quasi-central bank' anyway? There's no such thing!

You think I am stalking you? The trail of your thoughts is all over these messageboards like the faeces of a diarrheatic poodle. If I had been stalking you I would have posted a correction on your pointless LBG thread.

I like you! please stick around :)

A few more details have emerged. The "For Sale" signs are going up on the Llandaff sites next week and the new building is to be around 150,000 sq ft with 300 parking spaces. Combined with the 200,000 sq ft Roath Lock complex this will give BBC Wales roughly the same square footage as BBC North in Salford.

Wow. That's a surprise. The move to Salford was a big deal.

That's a lot of car parking spaces, I do hope that means car parking will be under the new building(s) rather than wasting space next to it.

Just driven past the BBC in Llandaff. The "For Sale" signs are up on both sides of Llantrisant Rd. Looks like this one development that's definately going to happen.

Ash
Just driven past the BBC in Llandaff. The "For Sale" signs are up on both sides of Llantrisant Rd. Looks like this one development that's definately going to happen.

Obviously this sale is not like a hose sale where it can all be concluded within a couple of months but if its up for sale what are the timescales? I assume the BBC must have the development of their new offices at an advanced stage.

I should imagine that they're looking for a delayed sale or a sale and lease-back deal.

Ash
or a sale and lease-back deal.

From my understanding, this is the case.
Sale of the existing sites will form a large amount of funding for the new site, so the site must be sold and leased back for a period of (roughly) 5 years before work can begin!

When I was working there Persimmon and Redrow were interested in carving up the Broadcasting house site (150-200 homes I heard mentioned at one stage), while Cardiff Met had been keeping a close eye on the front of the Ty Oldfield site to build more student halls.

Due to the steepness of the site, it was mentioned that the upper part would probably be sold to whoever buys the Rookwood hospital site, as access from this side would probably be easier.

Like I say, these were my understandings when I used to work there 18 months ago.

Just realised the planning app submitted by the BBC includes site drawings showing the locations of the for sale signs recently erected.

The claim to be drawn by me - they weren't, I left the company a year ago!
Where can I collect my royalties?

Oh God, the thought of turning the BBC Llandaf site into an estate of Redrow suburban redbrick Noddy-houses makes me want to puke.

Social Housing I say!! Not enough in Llandaff area.

Lyndon
Oh God, the thought of turning the BBC Llandaf site into an estate of Redrow suburban redbrick Noddy-houses makes me want to puke.

I agree. BBC Llandaff is that rarest of rarities - a good 1960s public building.

Given the number of large trees on the site and the traffic constraints - I wonder if developers might go for quite a low density development of very upmarket homes and a possible conversion of the central office tower into apartments.

I wonder as well whether consideration is being given to creating a link from Bridge Rd to Llantrisant Rd to ease congestion at the mini-roundabout.

Just questions - I have no inside info!

Ash
I wonder as well whether consideration is being given to creating a link from Bridge Rd to Llantrisant Rd to ease congestion at the mini-roundabout.

Diverting Bridge road through the BH site (utilising the existing site entrance) and removing the mini roundabout could be a great shout to ease congestion by there.

I'd imagine any use of the land for housing would need to be a mix of upmarket and affordable houses

The shortlist has now been whittled down to three choices - Central Square, central station car park south of the GWML or the Capital Waterside site between Atradius and the Senedd.

That means Callaghan Square, Capital Quarter and Roath Basin have been ditched. No real surprise about the first two but a bit of a blow to Roath Basin I think.

If the building is in addition to the one planned by Rightacres for the Glass Needle site and if it means that the bus station and the infrastructure around there finally gets started I'd plump for Central Square.

The building proposed at Capital Waterside (No 1 Assembly Square?) looks good in the renders - and it would complete the development facing the waterfront. Perhaps it might even lead to further developments in the scheme?

Not fussed on the car park south of the train station. It would be nice to see this developed one day but I think there are more important sites to concentrate on first. I also think the collection of buildings around there are so mediocre I don't want to see what will hopefully be a flagship building tainted by it's proximity to such crap.

Whats everyone's preference?

From my perspective, it's difficult to plump for one site over any other. The fact that the land at Assembly Square (next to the heart of our devolved Government) is still mainly empty speaks volumes about the lack of demand for high end commercial offices in Cardiff (regardless of the PR releases that are issued about lack of grade A spaces).

Large office requirements(large by Cardiff standards that is) are akin to total eclipses - very rare. When one comes along, it seems like a generational death knell to the other developments.

On balance, north of the station does seem like an attractive proposition to (hopefully) start the redevelopment of Central Square, which ultimately we have been moaning about for longer than any other space in the city - so, like you, this is probably my preferred choice out of the shortlist.

my preference would be next to the Senedd. We could hope that this would make our media a little more ambitious in the way it holds our government to account. I also think having assembly square completed may be the catalyst for further development in the vicinity

1 2 3
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM