CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cardiff City Stadium

It appears we have threads for the Millenium Stadium and the Arms Park but not the CCS.

Anyway they've lodged plans to extend the stadium. The not exactly attractive extention would take capacity up to 33,000 by next summer.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/article/stadium-phase-one-development-994444.aspx

Re: Cardiff City Stadium

From a planning perspective, I can see both sides of the argument really, but it all boils down to the colour of the seats.

Red seat=Refuse permission

Blue seats=Permission approved.

:)

Hopefully will end up 40-50k, City have tremendous potential and should look to seize the momentum.

Commuter87
Hopefully will end up 40-50k, City have tremendous potential and should look to seize the momentum.

I think thats way too ambitious to be honest.

James
Commuter87

I think thats way too ambitious to be honest.

I disagree. The stadium should have been 30k in the first place when we moved considering Ninian held over 20k. If priced accordingly we could sell 40-50k tickets easily, look at what the FAW were doing when the Mill Stad just opened and the FAW don't have an ounce of common or business sense. With VT at the helm the world is our oyster. To not strike when the iron is hot would be foolish and I'm glad plans are in place to take it near to 40k (if not more?).

Look at the Jacks and their pathetic 20k council ground, they are limited to how far they can really go although fair f*cks they are doing fantastic (spits) with what they have got. Realistically they could draw 30-35k.

40-50,000? That would be ridiculously over-ambitious at this juncture.

It's Cardiff's first season in the top division for ages. A 40,000 capacity would be the 9th largest club ground in England/Wales (based on current capacities). If CCFC become established in the top flight, then perhaps that could be justified - but football is a business that can change very quickly. How would you feel playing in Championship with a 40-50K capacity ground?

Barden

It's Cardiff's first season in the top division for ages. A 40,000 capacity would be the 9th largest club ground in England/Wales (based on current capacities). If CCFC become established in the top flight, then perhaps that could be justified - but football is a business that can change very quickly. How would you feel playing in Championship with a 40-50K capacity ground?

you'd be better asking newcastle fans that question. Cardiff and its catchment area is as large as newcastle. We have that potential if we have relative success. you only have to look at the attendances for the Wales matches in the early 2000s to see football is a popular sport in South Wales.

ten years ago kids hardly wore the city shirt around Cardiff - now most kids wear our shirt rather than that of liverpool, mufc et al. that means we are picking up a lost generation. assuming we stayed in the premier league for a generation, I could see us edging towards 35-40k on a regular basis with a few more thrown in for the big derby games against Man United and Barcelona

anyway, the capacity is being increased for the super cup final. It is also phase 1 of the plan to increase it to 42k longer term. I like the new design, it breaks up the bowl and makes the stadium more interesting. If it was completed like that over the next few years in 3 phases then I reckon we'd have no trouble attracting 3-5k more season ticket holders each season. We currently have 20k. Next season assuming premier league football, that will be nearer 25k.

Barden

Ridiculous is not to act when South Wales is buzzing with the football bug. Club football, especially the BPL is on the rise and more and more people are going to want a slice of the action, demand is outstripping supply easily at the moment, just look at the waiting lists, that's 5-10k season ticket holders at around £300 a pop we're missing out on by not having the capability for 40k.

It's Cardiff first season, correct, doesn't mean we can't look to the future though unless you are content to be a yo-yo club stuck with attendances of 25k. Nothing will ever be achieved if you take it a season at a time, as it's always NEXT season is the one that we will get relegated. At the end of the day, I reckon if priced accordingly we could sell out 45-50k easily however for the sake of argument, IMO it's better to have say 30k in a 40k stadium with the potential to fill it than sell-out 27k and people miss out and turn their attention and money to grass-shagging.

In regards to your last question, I'd feel the same if Cardiff were relegated with a 40-50K capacity ground as I would with a 27k ground. Gutted. Why?

Barden

This would be a much stronger pont if the club had taken its eye off the ball in order to concentrate on ground development. We've seen in the case of Glamorgan CCC where that can lead. However as far as I can see there's no evidence that that's the case.

It seems to be more a case of a modest, phased development to improve income streams. If you look at the plans as well as the extra 5k seats there are a large number of new boxes and hospitality areas - and those can generate serious income.

I agree with Jantra that the extention wil probably improve the stadium appearance to a degree. It's still "lipstick on a pig" though. The CCS exterior looks what it is - a functional stadium built to a budget.

What it really needs is some nice red cladding... *grabs helmet and runs away...*

The cladding was only ever temporary. The Ninian stand extension will have the final cladding just like the grandstand

Bit of news about the CCS Ninian Stand extension (as I can't see any on here)

Work is about to begin on removing the existing portion of roof to allow construction of the upper tier to continue. So if you have a season ticket in there, you're probably gonna get wet for a few weeks (assuming of course it never brightens up!)

I was down there earlier - they're gonna have to go some to make the uefa super cup on the 12th of august.

Some pics of the finished article..

New pic: http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=getfile&id=6856&private=0

That upper stand is going to look so ridiculous with red seats

murfilicious

Absolutely. It's cultural vandalism as far as I am concerned.

murfilicious

totally agree - god knows why VT doesn't listen to his customers (of which I am one, actually two as my daughter is a bluebird as well, and even though she's only ten she wants us back in blue) Such a strange feeling hoping that our owners backing assists us in a return to the top flight and then also thinking how amazing it will be when we are back in blue even though the consequences could be catastrophic for the club!? So, maybe another season of blue wearing/chanting fans and then hopefully promotion, may see this very stubborn man keeping to his word about returning our identity?

New shots

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=getfile&id=7102&private=0

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=getfile&id=7107&private=0

Best enjoy these pics, as it's the best it will look for a long time, once the red seats go in it will be a mess.

I guess its best to hope for ongoing full houses so reds seats are covered by (blue) fans.

That said, at least from the render above, I am a little surprised/pleased that the external structure has little red on it, making it much easier to change to blue in the future when possible. Maybe the finished article will be different though.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM